I thought I'd start a fresh thread for discussion about this whole Burnett situation. I'm going to briefly recap what we know first.
1. Near the end of last season Burnett made a statement that it was either Pittsburgh or retirement (with the disclaimer of as of right now)
2. The Pirates chose not to make the QO and Huntington said something odd about market values which it has never been made clear what he meant.
3. Burnett or someone close to him said something to the extent of he would take a week or so to decide what he chose to do.
4. Reports surface saying the Pirates offer to Burnett was anywhere from 8 to 12 million dollars. However another report seemed to suggest the Pirates hadn't even made an offer and were awaiting Burnett's decision.
5. Some vague reports surface that Burnett was hoping to receive the QO. Others comes out saying he wanted to receive the same salary (16.5 million) he did last season.
6. Relative silence ensues for months
7. Ray Searage makes a statement saying he is moving forward as if the Pirates will not have AJ Burnett.
8. Frank Coonelly comes out and says the Pirates have moved on from Burnett but are still open to a return
9. Burnett sends out a tweet of his batman costume hanging up in his closet. This was in response to a tweet essentially asking him to come back.
10. Jeff Bannister sends out a tweet (since deleted) where it appears he is saying good bye to Burnett.
11. A report surfaces that Burnett intends to pitch in 2014 but that he is open to pitching for other teams.
12. Several other outlets confirm the story.
13. ESPN going against the rest of the industry publishes a story saying it is unclear whether Burnett will entertain offers from other teams.
14. Burnett retweets a tweet from someone basically saying I don't care about the sources I will only believe stuff when I hear it from Burnett
I think those 14 points basically sum up all we currently know about this whole situation. If there is anything I missed please let me know. Anyone have any thoughts they would like to share and any idea how all of these seemingly contradictory reports fit together?