Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

A look back: "Carroll, NFL still a lousy fit"

Give Pete Carroll about one year before he starts realizing the mistake he just made. By that time, he'll be wondering why he resigned from USC to become head coach of the Seattle Seahawks.

That fat deal he recently accepted -- one reportedly worth $35 million over five years -- won't be nearly as capable of insulating his pride from all the abuse he'll be taking publicly. The players also won't be embracing him like they have in college. Before you know it, that constant smile that has become Carroll's trademark will be harder and harder to find.

Regardless of how optimistic some Carroll supporters may be about this news, the man is going to fail in the NFL. He's already been fired by the New York Jets (whom he coached in 1994) and the New England Patriots (he was there from 1997 to '99), which is all you really need to know.

A nine-year absence from pro football doesn't mean Carroll has learned how to be a better head coach at that level. It means only that he's become one more man who thought it was better to give up a cushy gig for a shot at the big time.

Although Carroll deserves credit for securing a nice paycheck in this move, there's little else about the decision that makes sense.
    Carroll might think he's got something more to offer than those men -- or others like Butch Davis, Mike Riley and Dennis Erickson. In fact, he's exactly like his peers. He's let his ego swell to the point that he can't see his limitations anymore. Being a mediocre head coach in the league (he was 34-33 in four seasons, including postseason play) only made him hunger for the best possible chance to return someday.
    This is why Carroll's latest gig puts him in a tricky situation. If he comes at pro players with the same easygoing approach that defined his college tenure, they're going to push the boundaries with him. If he tries to harden his personality to be tougher with them, that would be a bigger mistake. If there's one thing that players can sniff out more than a coach they can manipulate, it's one who's a fraud.
    Now that he's back in the NFL, Carroll will eventually discover that plenty has changed since he left more than a decade ago. The players have gotten bigger, faster, stronger and, yes, smarter. They're probably better at recognizing a coach who isn't ready to deal with all the challenges that come with leading grown men who make tons of money. And what Carroll hasn't realized yet is that he's still the type of guy who falls into that category.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...fri&id=4816051

It's not so much the opinion that Carroll would fail that's funny to me.....we're all wrong and wrong a lot. It's the angst, the arrogance, and the fervor that the writer used to trash Carroll. He was so sure of himself. Too bad.
    2013 Adopt-A-Lion: Nick Fairley

vCash
    They said he was too "rah-rah."
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash
    Everyone should tweet him a link

vCash
    The way he left USC was terrible, and I will always resent him for that.

vCash
    Pete Carroll is a ****ing awesome coach. Glad his proving arrogant prick writers wrong.

vCash
    He was smart to leave USC when he did. The problems didnt begin and end at Carroll.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky recon View Post
    The way he left USC was terrible, and I will always resent him for that.
    There is a lot of rule breaking going on in CFB most coaches do what he does when they get caught.

vCash
    I didn't want him as a coach... I thought it was a dumb signing (not to this degree though).

Glad I was wrong.

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Colin Kaepernick walk into a bar... To watch Russell Wilson win the Super Bowl.

vCash
    Still remember Marshall Faulk and Warren Sapp basically laughing at the hire...

vCash
    USC hasn't been the same without carroll. This guy is awesome full around coach, he took over a terrible team that Jim mora did. and made them the #1 team in NFC. I had my doubts early but hes proven himself. I have high respect for him. one of the best in the league. that Seattle team was all created by him, that's something special.

Shout out to Coach Dan Quinn, MOST underrated coach in the league. dudes a beast on the defense.
    Last edited by Denver-boy; 01-29-2014 at 01:14 AM.

BRONCOS NEXT LINEBACKER ERA
    C.J MOSLEY + VON MILLER + DANNY TREVATHAN

vCash
    I like the guy and its not like anyone could say he didn't prove himself in the NFL. Done a good job IMO.

vCash
    I wish these kinds of threads/articles would pop up more often. As time has gone on the media comes across more often than not with such strong opinions that decision/player/coach/team is completely genius or stupid. They write it in such a way to try and make everyone believe that if you don't agree with them then you're insane. There's a reason why so many of them will never come close to being a scout, general manager or decision maker within an organization, and it's articles like this that demonstrate why. This kind of garbage needs to be rubbed back in their face. Too often our goldfish memories with the age of twitter and constant news feeds is to quick to forget. The media is pretty unforgiving, why should we as readers and fans be so quick to let them off the hook?
    don't let it go to your head big fella

vCash
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...fri&id=4816051

It's not so much the opinion that Carroll would fail that's funny to me.....we're all wrong and wrong a lot. It's the angst, the arrogance, and the fervor that the writer used to trash Carroll. He was so sure of himself. Too bad.
    I remember this article lol, and I agreed with it at the time.

Boy was I wrong.

vCash
    USC is my college team, I hated to see him him go. Now I hate it that he's the coach of my Niners main rival. I can't win.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast