Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Riverboat Ron gets a 3 year contract extension

Panthers have signed Ron Rivera to a 3 year contract extension, giving him a total of 4 years remaining.

Some fans are griping that we should've let him play his last year out, but I love this decision. The last thing we need is the bs we went through with Fox's last year of "will they bring him back?!" talks because it's a distraction. Hell, I felt like Hardy was a distraction this year just because any time he had a decent game everyone would question if he'd be back. I think RR has done a great job of working with this team and has already built a top 5 defense while on his way to building an offense around Cam (with Getts of course).

The very least you can say is, "how do you not re-sign the 2013 Head Coach of the Year?"

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

vCash
    I'm fine with Rivera being extended so long as he remembers what got him there in the first place. That is, aggressive strategy in key moments of games. If he reverts to what he was before the win streak this year, this extension will bite the Panthers big time. If he doesn't, then we should be in good shape.

Of course, I think sooner rather than later he's going to have to step up and make a decision on Shula. Maybe at the end of next year. I'm not convinced he's the guy you want calling the offense long-term.

vCash
    I pretty much agree with homestar on this. I'm really happy Rivera turned it around this year and got more aggressive, he just needs to keep it that way. I actually maintain that keeping Shula is good for Newton's continued development, but he's not the long-term answer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    I'm fine with Rivera being extended so long as he remembers what got him there in the first place. That is, aggressive strategy in key moments of games. If he reverts to what he was before the win streak this year, this extension will bite the Panthers big time. If he doesn't, then we should be in good shape.

Of course, I think sooner rather than later he's going to have to step up and make a decision on Shula. Maybe at the end of next year. I'm not convinced he's the guy you want calling the offense long-term.
    I agree. We need RR to keep his 2013 season rolling, but I don't feel like he'll revert back to himself. I feel like he's really bought into the Riverboat persona at this point. It's so rare that you see a coach admit a fault in what he's always been told (conservatism) and actually balls up and form his own opinion. Not to mention I'm sure he realizes that he gets much less flack for missing a 4th down conversion than losing due to punting/kicking a FG.

I agree about Shula's long-term future. I thought he did an excellent job this year especially with what he had to work with, but I fully expect to see some more weapons and a better OL next year so we can truly judge him. I think he's been wonderful with Cam's development so it'd be awesome if he could become a good OC. I was going to say it's rare that you see a coordinator improve like that, but there was a point in time where I hate Sean McDermott and he and RR have this defense looking amazing.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

vCash
    I am fine with it now we have other work to move toward.

Wrestling & Bobcats Mod