Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Guys 7'2 and over in NBA history

There has always been a sense of awe in watching huge guys play in the NBA. Guys like Wilt and Kareem really stood out as super tall guys who dominated. Then there were a string of guys like Shawn Bradley, Manute Bol, Gheorghe Muresan, and others who are remembered for their height, but were backups at best in the NBA. Yao Ming was great, but the wear and tear from basically playing basketball year round (still bitter about the Chinese team stuff) cut his potential short at a young age. Now I have seen guys like that 7 foot Sophmore in HS and other giants like Manute's son Bol Bol garner attention for their stature. Guys like Thabeet are riding the pine, but a guy like Hibbert is using his size to make a real impact. What is yall's take on giants in the NBA? Are you sometimes just TOO big?

vCash
    Kareem was 7'2"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...iation_history

but your point has merit
    The real 99% are idiots and sheep when you post give me a reason to believe you are part of the 1%.

vCash
    They need more than size. Coordination is extremely important. That is what separates them out.

Wilt was so great because he had size and athleticism. Thabeet rides the pine because he is awkward.

Shaq considering how much a giant he was had remarkable agility especially early in his career.

vCash
    Rarely is someone 7'2 or taller in this world and the chances of anyone having basketball skill to get in the nba are slim. Tough to say if its due to someone being too tall or if its due to the actual lack of people who are 7'2 and taller and the chances of someone making it in the nba

vCash
    All great points. I knew Kareem and Wilt were about 7'2. Rik Smits, Ralph Samson, Yao Ming, Sabonis, Big Z, and Eaton all had really good careers. But if you are tall, you will likely be pushed to play basketball, regardless. I taught and helped coach at a small christian school, and there was this super tall kid they always begged to play basketball. He was nerdy and awkward, but they still pushed him till he resented it. My assumption is this is how it is with*7 foot guys. That's why you hear stories about Mutombo going to Georgetown to be a doctor, and then being convinced to focus on basketball instead. It's hard to make it work, but size alone gets people chances they are, at times, ill prepared to capitolize on.

vCash
    I refuse to see Hibbert for anything less than a dissapointment. His numbers are disgusting in the regular english definition of the word. It should be a given with his build that he's a force. His ability to alter shots is given to him by higher powers.

Hibbert would be one of those meh starting centers had he played 15-20 years earlier. I'm not taking away from how good the Pacers are but in reality the fact that a guy of his size with his surrounding team is averaging 11.9 points, with 7.8 rebounds is gross.

Give me DeAndre Jordan.

vCash
    exactly, the pool of 6' 3" guys with the skills and athleticism to play bball is significantly larger than the pool of 7' + guys with skill and athleticism. at 7' 2", there isn't even one person born in the world every year who can play bball at a high level. they tend to be known as a once in a generation talent. Embiid is roughly 7' at 18, he might still grow a bit, he will be a special talent.

vCash
    I don't think its a result of height being detrimental, I think its just a result of a general lack of 7'2" humans on the planet like others have said.

Think about it, how many people even 6'8", 6'9" do you know walking around? at the office? at the gym? or even just somebody you know OF?

So on one end its a matter of the pool of guys being a lot larger at 6'3". There are hundreds, thousands of guys that can ball and the ones in the NBA are the best of the best.

On the other end its a matter of the game being a physical contest. You have guys that get it done with skill and guys that get it done with athleticism. Athleticism shows up every night and skill can be hot/cold. The reason LeBron can lock down just about any player is because nobody can match his athleticism. The reason his teams win consistently vs. the field in the regular season is because teams are outmatched before they take the court and only a few can even match up.

At some point you don't need a lot of skill if you are outright bigger than everyone else. Look at a guy like Dwight Howard, beats up on anyone he is bigger or more powerful than but disappears against marginal centers that can match his athleticism.

So, at the tall end of the height bell curve you have people that can impact a game just by being able to use their bodies to get in the way. There aren't enough 7 footers that are both skilled AND athletic like there are at other positions, so a lot of the time a big man that can run up and down the floor without getting hurt can be very serviceable.

Think about it, a big clunky dude like Gortat w/ solid fundamentals is one of the better centers in the league. You couldn't possibly look at anything he does as smooth.

There are plenty of people on this board that can hit free throws better than a large handful of NBA players. Being the most basic part of the game -- ball in the hole -- I think that tells you all you need to know.
    Last edited by Sandman; 01-28-2014 at 05:37 PM.

vCash
    I get a kick out of watching the NBA then playing against my friend who's at best 6'4" and moves and plays like a center.
    don't let it go to your head big fella

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbs:27884351
    I refuse to see Hibbert for anything less than a dissapointment. His numbers are disgusting in the regular english definition of the word. It should be a given with his build that he's a force. His ability to alter shots is given to him by higher powers.

Hibbert would be one of those meh starting centers had he played 15-20 years earlier. I'm not taking away from how good the Pacers are but in reality the fact that a guy of his size with his surrounding team is averaging 11.9 points, with 7.8 rebounds is gross.

Give me DeAndre Jordan.
    I agree. Also after the first 4 min of playing he's huffin and puffin up and down the court as he's walking. He's a good player but is def overrated.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    I think it's difficult to find someone who is 7'2 plus and is capable of sliding in front and rotating against the multiple hyper athletes in the league, and skilled as well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b_russ View Post
    I get a kick out of watching the NBA then playing against my friend who's at best 6'4" and moves and plays like a center.
    I'm 6'5 and I'm in the same boat. I'm built more like an O-lineman, but those guys amaze me being that big and that agile. I had a buddy who whupped up on all of us other guys, but told me he played a freshman Durant and Chris Duhon in HS and got spanked. It's amazing the skill level it takes to make it to the NBA. But if you are a 7 footer, if you have any skill whatsoever you can make a team. Just look at a guy like Cole Aldrich. Total scrub by NBA standards, but could walk on any playground court in the world and be unstoppable. As the old saying goes "you can't teach 7 foot".

vCash
    YouTube Kenny George (7'8") or Sun Mingming (7'9"). It's good for a laugh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I don't think its a result of height being detrimental, I think its just a result of a general lack of 7'2" humans on the planet like others have said.

Think about it, how many people even 6'8", 6'9" do you know walking around? at the office? at the gym? or even just somebody you know OF?

So on one end its a matter of the pool of guys being a lot larger at 6'3". There are hundreds, thousands of guys that can ball and the ones in the NBA are the best of the best.

On the other end its a matter of the game being a physical contest. You have guys that get it done with skill and guys that get it done with athleticism. Athleticism shows up every night and skill can be hot/cold. The reason LeBron can lock down just about any player is because nobody can match his athleticism. The reason his teams win consistently vs. the field in the regular season is because teams are outmatched before they take the court and only a few can even match up.

At some point you don't need a lot of skill if you are outright bigger than everyone else. Look at a guy like Dwight Howard, beats up on anyone he is bigger or more powerful than but disappears against marginal centers that can match his athleticism.

So, at the tall end of the height bell curve you have people that can impact a game just by being able to use their bodies to get in the way. There aren't enough 7 footers that are both skilled AND athletic like there are at other positions, so a lot of the time a big man that can run up and down the floor without getting hurt can be very serviceable.

Think about it, a big clunky dude like Gortat w/ solid fundamentals is one of the better centers in the league. You couldn't possibly look at anything he does as smooth.

There are plenty of people on this board that can hit free throws better than a large handful of NBA players. Being the most basic part of the game -- ball in the hole -- I think that tells you all you need to know.
    Good post. I knew a kid who was about 6'6 as a Freshman when I was a teacher at a church camp he went to. Dude was strong and athletic as well. I challenged him to a game and you could tell he had never played much. I blocked every shot he put up and I scored on him every time with basic fakes. I am by no means all that good, but I taught him a few things, and he was killing kids the rest of the week. Too bad he liked baseball more! Dude is about 6'9 now.

But to your point, I think the only downside to being that big is the rarity of finding an actual athlete that size. And even rarer is finding a durable guy that size. I will never cease to be amazed that Wilt averaged 48.5 minutes in a regular season at his size in the 60's. With the bad dieting and inferior medicine and fitness. Unbelievable. Watching Yao all those years was so tough. I think if he was shorter his career might have lasted longer. Too much weight and wear and tear on his frame, IMO.
    Last edited by DreamShaker; 01-28-2014 at 11:54 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbs View Post

Give me DeAndre Jordan.
    You understand his job is not to go out and get gaudy numbers, right? It's to control the paint. Both of our PFs are post up players who can also shoot jumpers. The only reason he doesn't get 6 blocks a game is because teams have stopped attacking the paint, because of Hibbert. The Pacers have a system where everyone sacrifices their individual numbers for the good of the team. And it seems to be working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast