Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Idzik: lessons from the 'hawks...

http://nypost.com/2014/01/27/jets-gm...per-bowl-team/

Enjoy the read.

While the Dolphins wallow in mediocrity... The Jets move forward...

vCash
    Man it's like there's virtual tumbleweeds passing through the Jets forum these days.

Hello...hello...hello...

Echo...echo...echo...

vCash
    I was always a fan of the Idzik hiring. Mainly because he came from an organization that I felt knew how to BUILD a team and not just piece it together. He already has changed the circus atmosphere here and made some good, under the radar moves (Colon, Nelson, Ivory) and hit a homerun with Sheldon. Now with perhaps as many as 12 picks and some cap room I'm excited to see what he does. Jets are definitely on the rise!

Follow me on Twitter @TheGaudAlmighty

vCash
    Anyone that has played sports or been in major business, knows there is a clear delineation between a winning and losing culture. It starts with the top down, in the front office or management, and them clearly defining a strategy and enabling the "team" to execute. I think for the first time in a long time we are there from the front office perspective.

I think the greatness of Rex as a coach will show. A good analogy to me over the past 4 years is a Sales Manager crushing quota with no Director or VP of Sales, just him and his team.

Way back in the stands, you can see my Wife holding my son on the ledge at his first Green and White scrimmage...circa 2013...aka "The Transformation" year into greatness! That's right Emryk...you saw the beginning stages of JETS Greatness first hand!

vCash
    I am curious more about this offseason than last, simply because this past off-season, I knew we weren't going to do much in terms of FA. We didn't have the cap space.

This year, Idzik will have to show what he was brought here to do. We have a big amount of cap space, likely 10-12 draft picks, etc.

Regardless of Idzik, there are things the Jets need to do themselves in order to get better-- How many playoff berths are you going to make when it takes you until week 16 and 17 in order to get your 1st two game winning streak of the year? 8-8 isn't getting it done.

Also, coming out and playing hard every week-- You have a great gameplan to beat New England, then you lose 49-9 to Cincinnati. You beat New Orleans 26-20, then come out and score 20 points THE NEXT THREE GAMES!
    PSD's Sheldon Richardson!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Realistik84 View Post
    Anyone that has played sports or been in major business, knows there is a clear delineation between a winning and losing culture. It starts with the top down, in the front office or management, and them clearly defining a strategy and enabling the "team" to execute. I think for the first time in a long time we are there from the front office perspective.

I think the greatness of Rex as a coach will show. A good analogy to me over the past 4 years is a Sales Manager crushing quota with no Director or VP of Sales, just him and his team.
    I have been saying this for a long time and I can definitely relate (I'm an MBA student). It's not about piecemealing a team together or gambling on draft picks and hoping they pan out. It's about having goals, knowing what's needed to achieve these goals, and surrounding yourself with people that have strengths that you don't.

Football is a team game but that front office requires team work as well. Everyone needs to be on the same page and they all need to do their hw on everyone in order to make the best decision. This offseason will definitely be very interesting
    Twitter: SteveMcG87

vCash
    Anyone basing their opinion of JIdzik from last offseason doesn't know diddly squat about the man and his tendencies.

THIS is the first year that JIdzik can truly build the team in his image, thanks to finally having some cap room.

I liked the hire at the time, and I still like it now, but now it's time to find out what JIdzik is really all about and see the direction that he wants to take this team.

Should be an interesting offseason to say the least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dem Phils!!! View Post
    Man it's like there's virtual tumbleweeds passing through the Jets forum these days.

Hello...hello...hello...

Echo...echo...echo...
    Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon, Manny Mota...Mota...Motahhhhh...

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dem Phils!!! View Post

Hello...hello...hello...

Echo...echo...echo...
    Yeah, its just going to be slow until the start of the New League Year. With Mo having that 1st round poison pill in his contract that only effected the first round of his draft year there's no reason to extend him (With the franchise tag, we have him locked up for the next three years for just under 20 mil), so there's really not much to talk about until roster cuts start...

Wide Load Beast Of The Green & White Northeast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    Anyone basing their opinion of JIdzik from last offseason doesn't know diddly squat about the man and his tendencies.

THIS is the first year that JIdzik can truly build the team in his image, thanks to finally having some cap room.

I liked the hire at the time, and I still like it now, but now it's time to find out what JIdzik is really all about and see the direction that he wants to take this team.

I agree that this is his first real offseason, but last offseason and the season itself were critical because we needed to change the culture enough to make the Jets be a real option for top tier free agents without having to over pay them to get them to come here.

I think we have always had that on D, because defensive players want to play under Rex. But, I hope that free agents on the offensive side of the ball see this as a realistic place to come and sign at so that they can win.

As excited as I am for the draft, I really want the Jets to get one home run signing from a player that says they wanted to come here because they believe in the future and want to be part of building a healthy winning culture

vCash
    The Hawks were JetWest before we were HawkEast.

We've always been this way.

vCash
    I have high hopes for sure.

Always combined with standard Jets fan fear but.....

This off season will be a telling event. I don't expect perfection but like someone already said...set the goals, achieve them and if something doesn't work, have a backup plan.

It's when a problem arises and management looks like deer in the headlights that worries me.

I don't think there'll be a way to satisfy every fan in the draft but wins and losses will tell the tale...

vCash
    This off season will show us what idzick is about
    We got this!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post

Gotta say I disagree with this somewhat - we already saw some of what Idzik's plan was with last year's offseason. Idzik helped build the Seahawks into the team they are now and the Seahawks are the template for building the Jets... Just look at what the Seahawks have now and what Idzik was able to do last offseason:

1. Get a mobile and talented QB like Russell Wilson - CHECK! They went out and drafted Geno and while Geno had his up's and downs like any rookie - over the last 4 games - you can see what the Jets front office saw in him and the potential he has...

2. Rebuild the secondary - CHECK! The Seahawks secondary is second to none - and the Jets 1st draft pick was Milliner. This was not a coincidence...

3. Get a brute of a RB in the mold of Marshawn Lynch - CHECK! Idzik traded a 4th rounder for Ivory...

4. Build up the DLine - CHECK! Seahawks have a lot of very good DLinemen that can get to the QB and stop the run - Jets 2nd 1st round pick = Sheldon Richardson.

5. Rebuild OLine - CHECK! Seahawks OLine is built to dominate. From the 2009-2011 Seahawks drafts (when Idzik was there) the Seahawks drafted an OLineman in the 1st or 2nd round every year (Unger, Okung, Carpenter & Moffitt)... Idzik used his 3rd, 5th & 6th round picks on big, nasty OLinemen this past offseason.

6. Have a good Defensive minded coach leading your team - CHECK! Carroll and Rex are of a different style - but both men know defense. I still believe that Idzik jumped at this job partly because of Rex - not in spite of him.

This offseason - we all know the Jets need WR / playmaker help and expect much offseason focus on this (this is obvious) -but based on Seattle's drafts under Idzik - expect at least one more OLineman and at least 2 DB's to be drafted or chased in Free Agency as well this offseason...

This Jets team (like the Seahawks) will try to field a dominating Defense every year, try to play power football with the running game and have Geno make plays when he needs to - with his arm and his legs. The Jets wont throw for 300 yards often and run a fully wide open offense like Denver or NE, but they are being built to bully other teams - just like the Seahawks. Win the games at the line, shut down opposing WR's with physicality & speed, beat up opposing teams defenses with power and when they bring up their safeties to stop the run - go deep for a the big play (probably after a bit of scrambling).

Idzik's plan has been shown - and it's gonna be fun to see what he does with all the cash and draft picks the Jets have this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    I agree that this is his first real offseason, but last offseason and the season itself were critical because we needed to change the culture enough to make the Jets be a real option for top tier free agents without having to over pay them to get them to come here.

I think we have always had that on D, because defensive players want to play under Rex. But, I hope that free agents on the offensive side of the ball see this as a realistic place to come and sign at so that they can win.

As excited as I am for the draft, I really want the Jets to get one home run signing from a player that says they wanted to come here because they believe in the future and want to be part of building a healthy winning culture
    Would you consider Eric Decker that one home run signing, or do you think that with one swing you'd take another player?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast