Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Pitchers' protective caps approved for use

vCash
    Took them long enough. I bet these will be used pretty wide spread by the end of the year as pitchers realize it's nothing to be afraid of.

vCash
    Yeah this is actually a good move

vCash
    The pussification of Amerca continues!*

*Not serious at all.

vCash
    https://twitter.com/AdamRubinESPN/st...888960/photo/1

The caps look awful if they are that big but its good to see them integrated into MLB.

vCash
    Doubt these will be used widespread. Probably only for pitchers with recurring head trauma.

vCash
    Really tho, how much protection will they give against a 100 mph line drive?? I think the thought is great but after seeing those pics, they don't look overly protective.. Never tried them on myself tho and looks could be deceiving so idk

Your baby can't do this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    Really tho, how much protection will they give against a 100 mph line drive?? I think the thought is great but after seeing those pics, they don't look overly protective.. Never tried them on myself tho and looks could be deceiving so idk

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...p-for-pitchers

Foster said the cap went through extensive testing and provided protection from line drives up to 90 mph in the front of the head and 85 mph on the side.

Line drives in the majors have been clocked at even faster rates.

The hat is “slightly bigger” than a regular baseball cap, Foster said. He added: “It’s not going to be a Gazoo hat.”

Several years ago, MLB introduced larger batting helmets that offered increased safety. But big leaguers mostly rejected them, saying they looked funny and made them resemble the Great Gazoo, a character on the “The Flintstones” cartoon series.

In December 2012, MLB medical director Dr. Gary Green presented ideas on protective headgear to executives, doctors and trainers. The prototypes under study included some made of Kevlar, the high-impact material often worn by military and law enforcement and NFL players for body armor.

Foster said the cap’s design diffuses the impact of being hit, rather than only absorbing the shock. The technology will be available on the retail market for ballplayers of all ages.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69:27882723
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...p-for-pitchers

Foster said the cap went through extensive testing and provided protection from line drives up to 90 mph in the front of the head and 85 mph on the side.

Line drives in the majors have been clocked at even faster rates.

The hat is “slightly bigger” than a regular baseball cap, Foster said. He added: “It’s not going to be a Gazoo hat.”

Several years ago, MLB introduced larger batting helmets that offered increased safety. But big leaguers mostly rejected them, saying they looked funny and made them resemble the Great Gazoo, a character on the “The Flintstones” cartoon series.

In December 2012, MLB medical director Dr. Gary Green presented ideas on protective headgear to executives, doctors and trainers. The prototypes under study included some made of Kevlar, the high-impact material often worn by military and law enforcement and NFL players for body armor.

Foster said the cap’s design diffuses the impact of being hit, rather than only absorbing the shock. The technology will be available on the retail market for ballplayers of all ages.

Yea i read that, still not buying it tho.. Hope I'm wrong cuz this would be great for baseball if it works properly.

Your baby can't do this

vCash
    they just need a spring loaded fence that shoots up if it detects a fastball coming. Obviously, it would have to be very accurate and lightning fast, but if the ball hits the fence, automatic single.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb:27882677
    Obviously it won't completely protect the pitcher. Not even batting helmets can protect somebody anywhere close to 100% from baseballs to the head. The point of these padded hats is to absorb as much of the force as possible. Any little bit will help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rkelly7 View Post
    they just need a spring loaded fence that shoots up if it detects a fastball coming. Obviously, it would have to be very accurate and lightning fast, but if the ball hits the fence, automatic single.
    No. Just no.

vCash
    What the what?

vCash
    Yes. Just yes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giants73756 View Post
    Took them long enough. I bet these will be used pretty wide spread by the end of the year as pitchers realize it's nothing to be afraid of.
    I'd bet my balls that by the end of the year there isn't even a quarter of pitchers that are using them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast