Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    75,370
    vCash
    1500

    Jonathan Martin an option for this offensive line?

    This is about OT Jonathan Martin.

    Letís go ahead and assume the Dolphins find a way to go in a different direction with Martin. He would have to slide to guard because the Colts are set at tackle with Anthony Castonzo and Gosder Cherilus, who both had good seasons.

    One thing you do have to worry about: Will there be any players inside the locker room who question Martin's toughness? That may be the case in most locker rooms.

    Thereís obviously the Stanford connection with Andrew Luck, Griff Whalen, Coby Fleener and offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton. They all spoke highly of Martin publicly and privately when asked about him after the news broke about what was reportedly happening in Miami between him and Richie Incognito. The Colts approach their locker room with a family attitude and the players respect Luck, so his voice and opinion carries a lot of weight. So I don't think there would be any issues with Martin and the Colts. It would be a good fit if he can play guard.

    But as of right now, Martin is still a member of the Miami Dolphins.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis...espnapi_public

    I would be all for it.
    #3in5


    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    All Up In There!
    Posts
    3,886
    vCash
    1500
    He's worth it if it is a cheap contract? My only question would be can he play Guard? If not, he still is worth a shot at the Swing Tackle spot but only if cheap. I am not a fan of quitters and regardless of Incognito's actions he shouldn't have quit his team, imo? So he would have to be real cheap....
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Macon GA.
    Posts
    815
    vCash
    1500
    He would have to pay us to play for me to be OK with his signing.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,122
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider28 View Post
    He would have to pay us to play for me to be OK with his signing.
    HA yeah I agree.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,551
    vCash
    1500
    You don't need or want little *****es on your line.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    788
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    You don't need or want little *****es on your line.
    What we do need is someone who can block and he can do that. He also has history and familiarity with several players on the team. Plus we don't sign douche's like Cognito!
    [

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,114
    vCash
    1500
    If he can improve our terrible line and play well im all for it. Even if i dont like what he did, its all about results!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    75,370
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    You don't need or want little *****es on your line.
    An upgrade is an upgrade.
    #3in5


    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,758
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    An upgrade is an upgrade.
    The Pacers thought that about Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson too and that turned out to be a terrible idea. They were upgrades on the court, but they also took a top title contender into the gutter and then to a fringe playoff team that was set back for a decade. Different issues but the same lesson holds true in any sport: talent doesn't always trump everything else.

    I think he is too much of a distraction to the media and the players no matter his blocking ability. If your OL is worried about hurting someone's feelings they they are going to have a tough time jelling on the field and in the film room...you want a loose team that gets along . Pagano isn't much of an angry yelling and cursing coach, but what if Martin screws up...will every coach be afraid to point that out? Will Luck be worried about being to hard on him and give him a pass? You get players walking on eggshells and they start worrying more about their career and avoiding an issue with someone like Martin than the game.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 01-29-2014 at 12:01 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,760
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    The Pacers thought that about Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson too and that turned out to be a terrible idea. They were upgrades on the court, but they also took a top title contender into the gutter and then to a fringe playoff team that was set back for a decade. Different issues but the same lesson holds true in any sport: talent doesn't always trump everything else.

    I think he is too much of a distraction to the media and the players no matter his blocking ability. If your OL is worried about hurting someone's feelings they they are going to have a tough time jelling on the field and in the film room...you want a loose team that gets along . Pagano isn't much of an angry yelling and cursing coach, but what if Martin screws up...will every coach be afraid to point that out? Will Luck be worried about being to hard on him and give him a pass? You get players walking on eggshells and they start worrying more about their career and avoiding an issue with someone like Martin than the game.
    I think your pretty off base here. The question isn't if they should bring in Incognito. A man who has a long history of being a complete jack ***. Who would rightly take on the label of a Ron Artest or a Stephen Jackson. Martin wasn't the first person he caused to react in this manner. And there isn't anyone on the team currently that would come even close to a person like that.

    As far as Martin there is a huge contingent of Stanford players on the team. They all spoke out for Martin publicly and privately. Including Luck who commands a tremendous amount of respect in the locker room and Hamilton who knows him from a coaching standpoint. They certainly know him better than anyone else. If they give him the vote of approval to bring in then I am all for it. Especially knowing that he would be coming EXTREMELY cheap after the owner of the Dolphins said publicly that both men would not be back.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,758
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiercubsfan View Post
    I think your pretty off base here. The question isn't if they should bring in Incognito. A man who has a long history of being a complete jack ***. Who would rightly take on the label of a Ron Artest or a Stephen Jackson. Martin wasn't the first person he caused to react in this manner. And there isn't anyone on the team currently that would come even close to a person like that.

    As far as Martin there is a huge contingent of Stanford players on the team. They all spoke out for Martin publicly and privately. Including Luck who commands a tremendous amount of respect in the locker room and Hamilton who knows him from a coaching standpoint. They certainly know him better than anyone else. If they give him the vote of approval to bring in then I am all for it. Especially knowing that he would be coming EXTREMELY cheap after the owner of the Dolphins said publicly that both men would not be back.
    He also retracted that statement and Martin is not a free agent as stated above.....so unless they plan on cutting him they will probably wait him out until the NFLPA has to step in unless he is traded. Martin's contract is basically a wash on dead cap vs cap savings meaning they get nothing by cutting him in terms of cap space, so why cut him for nothing?

    I'm just looking at this, Ron Artest didn't have the tools to deal with things and Martin also has said the same thing in his Dungy interview. From everything I've seen Martin has admitted he wasn't the only one dealing with whatever was going on in Miami, and I have no clue if Martin is blowing things out of proportion because he had a breakdown or if Incognito is really as bad as he is being portrayed...I'm guessing a mixture of both....probably more toward the Incognito being as bad as advertised side....but he was the only one to mentally break down. This is also largely based on a position switch. Is the willingness there for it? I certainly wouldn't want to try and force or convince him to move to guard if he wasn't willing.

    So I'm just wondering why a locker room question mark that would be moving positions while having our entire team walking on egg shells (at the very least to begin with) and we would most likely have to trade for be a great idea? DHB was a one year rental in which we had nothing to lose at that point since it was so late in FA, but people still like to point out that as a blunder. What happens if Martin who is a high risk, high profile at the moment, and I will throw in high potential reward doesn't pan out or if it really wasn't all on Incognito and he is unstable. If something similar happens and he has a breakdown here we are talking about setting the team back possibly years and also possibly a divided locker room.

    If they grab him and he pans out great....but I wouldn't be betting my job on it if I were Grigson, and that could be what he is be doing if he were to make a move for Martin.

    Also add everything I said to Martin being graded as a poor run blocker at Tackle and I have to ask why would we want him to play guard? He has graded out as a pretty good pass blocker....but if we are really going to pound the ball he isn't what we want in the first place cheap or not....unless we are looking at backup Tackles....
    Last edited by matthollabak; 01-29-2014 at 05:55 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    75,370
    vCash
    1500
    The Colts do need backup tackles though. We were fortunate to have GC and AC play all 16 games. The likelihood of that happening again isn't 100%.
    #3in5


    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,758
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    The Colts do need backup tackles though. We were fortunate to have GC and AC play all 16 games. The likelihood of that happening again isn't 100%.
    Yes I agree we do, but he is going to be a distraction no matter how much support he has in the locker room. In training camp it is going to be questions about him, if someone goes down and he is thrust into play it will be questions about how he can mentally handle the game, in the locker room at the very least everyone is going to be walking on eggshells around him to start with and in camp everyone will be scared to go on with their normal routines with light hazing...or whatever you want to call it (new guys carrying shoulder pads), pranks (filling cars with packing peanuts), and just general camp bonding things that really IMO is part of the reason why this team can come back and doesn't loose faith in each other when they are down in games.

    Don't get me wrong I would be thrilled to have Martin's talent as a backup T or even battling for the start...but do his risks outweigh his rewards? To be honest I think if they did want to bring him in, maybe wait until after camp so the team welcomes the new players in camp with no worries with their normal routines and then you bring his distractions in after camp breaks and all the bonding and fun with new guys is finished.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 01-30-2014 at 10:47 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Macon GA.
    Posts
    815
    vCash
    1500
    Am I the only one who thinks Xavier Nixon could fill the guard spot?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    All Up In There!
    Posts
    3,886
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider28 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Xavier Nixon could fill the guard spot?
    I thought the line looked better with him in at the end of the year but would rather they use him at depth and continue to develop him.
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •