Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

The case against Alex Mack

Lot of Colts fans thinking that Grigson should go after Browns center Alex Mack. If I were Irsay, I'd say no. Reason: Khaled Holmes.

Grigson passed up WR Q. Patton and others for Holmes. He better be the team's best option at OC next year. If he isn't, Grigson looks bad.

Using cap space on Mack after Holmes was drafted means Colts wasted their pick. Remember, 2013 was supposedly a great 'trench draft.'
    All from Brad Wells

https://twitter.com/StampedeBlue

Thoughts on Holmes vs Mack?
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Holmes was considered one of the top Centers in College back in 2011 and heading into 2012. He was injured during the 2012 season and his play tailed off as he played injured. He missed Rookie Camp and most of Training Camp due to the injury. It was reported that he needed to gain strength and was being brought along slowly. He did play some in the final few games and did fairly well despite the lack of camp. He is considered a tactical Center much in the way Saturday was as he is intelligent and could be relied on to call plays for the O'line. He just needs to get healthy and work on his strength in the Off Season and hopefully he returns to the 2011 form that brought him much accolades?

Mack is one of the best young Centers in the game and is set to cash in.

So the difference is a Rookie Contract vs. a top 5 Center Contract financially plus 4 years of proven NFL experience (with fantastic results) vs. a player with a ton of potential but with an injury issue from his past. Though Holmes can play Guard as well so it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to sign Mack and use Holmes elsewhere.

Indy obviously knows what they have in Holmes by now and I trust will be making their choice off of that? I do find it funny that Wells wrote this and seems to already be setting up an argument on both sides of the issue? He *****ed about every FA last year and if Indy signed Mack his only ***** could be that they drafted Holes in the 4th round the year prior. He's quite the drama queen and already has both sides of the spectrum covered on this issue so he can continue to bash the Colts.
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    Forest Gump has a higher IQ and is more qualified to write articles than Brad Wells so anytime he makes a case it is best to just go against whatever he says. I'll go with Mack.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyld1 View Post
    Holmes was considered one of the top Centers in College back in 2011 and heading into 2012. He was injured during the 2012 season and his play tailed off as he played injured. He missed Rookie Camp and most of Training Camp due to the injury. It was reported that he needed to gain strength and was being brought along slowly. He did play some in the final few games and did fairly well despite the lack of camp. He is considered a tactical Center much in the way Saturday was as he is intelligent and could be relied on to call plays for the O'line. He just needs to get healthy and work on his strength in the Off Season and hopefully he returns to the 2011 form that brought him much accolades?

Mack is one of the best young Centers in the game and is set to cash in.

So the difference is a Rookie Contract vs. a top 5 Center Contract financially plus 4 years of proven NFL experience (with fantastic results) vs. a player with a ton of potential but with an injury issue from his past. Though Holmes can play Guard as well so it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to sign Mack and use Holmes elsewhere.

Indy obviously knows what they have in Holmes by now and I trust will be making their choice off of that? I do find it funny that Wells wrote this and seems to already be setting up an argument on both sides of the issue? He *****ed about every FA last year and if Indy signed Mack his only ***** could be that they drafted Holes in the 4th round the year prior. He's quite the drama queen and already has both sides of the spectrum covered on this issue so he can continue to bash the Colts.
    Good post, Wyld.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Mack. Move Holmes to guard if we dont sign one too.

Lucks on our side

vCash
    I dunno, I'm kind of on the fence about singing Mack. The experience and caliber of play he would add to the O line is definitely a major benefit. The cash he's going to demand though has been and will be a concern of mine. Granted, the O line needs major work at the interior positions. I just don't know that I'm ready to watch a massive splash in FA for a Center when there are other needs that should be addressed.

I continue to be optimistic that Thomas coming back will solidify one G position with Center and the other G positions being highly suspect at this point. In addition, we also have to look into the future with contracts coming up down the road to ensure we have enough cap space to retain a good solid core.

I'm really hoping that we can grab up someone like Geoff Schwartz to play opposite Thomas in the G slots. I really do not want to see Satele playing Center again in a Colts uniform EVER. I really don't care who is playing Center at this point as long as it's not Satele and we don't hamstring ourselves down the road with salary cap issues. I just think Mack is going to ask for max dollars if he even hits the open market.

vCash
    The only case I have against Alex Mack is Jarius Byrd.

vCash
    Ooh Brad Wells when will you ever decide to be consistent?

Why did I just spend forever refuting his article about not bringing back VD and part of his argument is that you can't make a decision to try and prove yourself right which was about the only thing he said in his article that I agreed with....then he uses it as the only argument for Holmes I see here?

Can Holmes play? Maybe maybe not....but sometimes you get a better option and have to run with it and make it work. Wasting the draft pick should have nothing to do with this decision just like when Wells mentioned that VD shouldn't be signed if the only reason is to prove that his trade was a good move. You can't base decisions about the roster based on proving yourself right....see Bill Polian about this if you don't believe me. He hung onto his guys and passed on quite a few players we should have gotten because he wanted to prove himself right and prove himself the smartest person in the NFL. It worked for a while but caught up with him when he did miss and refused to admit it on a player like Painter or a coach like Caldwell and ended up costing him his job...he also refused to address positions of need and instead grabbed his favorite in the draft and used patchwork players for spots like LT and OLB and this kind of thinking was his downfall....if you need a C you get a C. I don't care if the guy you have on your roster was a free agent, a top draft pick, or a practice squad promotion....if you don't know what he has and you have the opportunity to get a known top player at his position you jump all over at least exploring the cost.

vCash
    It's imperative to sign Mack. Get all the top tier talent (with heavy front loaded contracts) you can get until we're due to pay Andrew 20M per year.

<3