Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Lions raise overall ticket prices but cut preseason price

The Detroit Lions are raising season-ticket prices after missing the playoffs for the 13th time in the last 14 years, but they’ve drastically reduced the price of exhibition tickets with a new variable pricing model.

Beginning this fall, the Lions will put every home game into one of three pricing categories, with exhibition tickets making up the lowest category and prime-time games and high-profile matchups making up the highest.

The Lions are the first NFL team to use variable pricing.

“Our fans have been asking for years, ‘Hey, these preseason prices are ridiculous,’” Lions spokesperson Ben Manges said. “And to be able to right-size those prices, and we’re smart enough to do it now, based on a lot of the data that we’re getting from the secondary market, it makes sense.”

For season-ticket holders, the price of preseason games will fall by 70%, the team said. Overall, season-ticket prices will increase by 8.2%, according to the team.

The Lions’ average ticket price for 2014 is $83.36, just below the NFL average of $85, and they currently rank 25th in the NFL in average ticket price.

The Lions’ home schedule for 2014 includes games against the Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings, Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New York Giants.

Games against the Packers, Bears, Saints and either the Dolphins or Bills, whichever team the Lions play on Thanksgiving, will fall into the “touchdown” tier with the highest prices.

Games against the Vikings, Giants, Buccaneers and the non-Thanksgiving AFC opponent will fall into the “field goal” mid-level pricing tier for season-ticket holders.

If any of those games is scheduled for prime time, it will be priced in the “touchdown” tier for single-game tickets.

Both preseason games will be in the lowest tier of prices.

Last year, the Lions finished 7-9 and lost six of their last seven games.
    Seeing how we have a good amount of posters here who have either bought season tickets or still currently do I want to hear how the feel about this.

Cutting down the absurd preseason ticket prices is a good thing but I'm not sure about this premium pay for certain games vs. not for others. Curious how others feel.

Catches: 3 Yards: 38 TDs: 0

vCash
    If we ever do win a playoff game, ticket prices will go up 427% the following season, or will be given free with the purchase of a Ford Focus, which would be the cheaper deal.

2013 & 2014 Lions Forum Draft Prediction Game Champion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    If we ever do win a playoff game, ticket prices will go up 427% the following season, or will be given free with the purchase of a Ford Focus, which would be the cheaper deal.
    If they do it with the Taurus or Fusion they got a deal

13 Rec - 247 Yards -2 TD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Couldn't agree more. The Fords just need to sell the team. Let's raise the prices even though we have made only one playoff appearance in the last 14 years and we haven't won a playoff game in 22 years.

AAL: Ndamukong Suh
    Tackles: 6
    Sacks:
    Personal Fouls:

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions 1-1
    Detroit Tigers 83-66
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Overall: 2-0 ACC:

vCash
    Does anyone actually enjoy going to an NFL game? I think the games live suck and it's much better watching on tv anyways.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Does anyone actually enjoy going to an NFL game? I think the games live suck and it's much better watching on tv anyways.
    I do, and here are tens of thousands of season ticket holders who agree with me. Is either way the "right" answer? Of course not. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and has their own preferences. I love going to see the games live, and Ford Field does a great job in getting the fans in the stands the same looks that the fans at home get as far as instant replay and live play. From the camaraderie at the tailgate to the electric atmosphere in the stadium make the games 10,000% more enjoyable than watching at home, and I wouldn't give up the experience for anything. I know for most STH, especially when you've had the same seats for years and have made really good friends with 30-40 fellow STHs around you, and see them every year at every game, it becomes so much more than just a football game.

As far as the increase in ticket prices, am I happy about it? Of course not. Who doesn't like paying less for ****? However, I do appreciate that Lions organization, which from personal experience believe that Ford Field is easily one of the better stadium experiences in the league, has kept prices to one of the cheaper tickets in the NFL. I haven't received my invoice yet, but if the 8.2% increase holds true, my 4 seats will go from $3,640.00/year to $3,939.00/year. Not a deal breaker for me by any means, not even close. What I am surprised by is that the Lions have instituted tiered game pricing, similar to Wings tickets, and they really didn't need to. They've had no problem whatsoever selling out every home game, and the organization could have kept every game at a flat rate and simply raised prices across the board. Even though I'll see a slight price hike, I think the new pricing strategy is more fan friendly to those attending a game or two a year and should be appreciated.
    Last edited by Five Angels; 01-28-2014 at 07:56 AM.

vCash
    Raising ticket prices is kind of akin to gas prices increasing. People are going to complain about it, but most aren't going to change their driving habits because of it. Overall, a 5-10% jump isn't going to stop people from going to a game.

vCash
    Living in Cali, I can say I miss cheering the lions on with 65k other fans... If I'm at a niners
    /raiders game I'm always told to sit down or quiet down. It sucks. Much rather attended a home game regardless of the costs.

My AAL 2015 ProBowler: DeAndre Levy #54 17 tackles / sacks /1 amazing int
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    Living in Cali, I can say I miss cheering the lions on with 65k other fans... If I'm at a niners
    /raiders game I'm always told to sit down or quiet down. It sucks. Much rather attended a home game regardless of the costs.
    I've never been to Ford Field but I can attest to the same experiences at opponents stadiums. I was at Lambeau for the 0-16 game. That's when it was solidified for me that Green Bay does not have the classiest fans in the league like they seem to think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Lavender View Post
    Raising ticket prices is kind of akin to gas prices increasing. People are going to complain about it, but most aren't going to change their driving habits because of it. Overall, a 5-10% jump isn't going to stop people from going to a game.
    Great point, and if anything, the tiered pricing system will bring more fans out to preseason and less desirable games. Chicago, GB and MNF/SNF games are always easy sell outs, regardless of price. Hell, they even manage to sell a fair amount of standing room only tickets for those game. The tiered plan makes games for accessible to more fans.

vCash
    I will say this there is not atmosphere like Ford Field when its really rocking (Ie Lions vs. Bears on MNF 2011). The crowd alone was worth the price of admission.

I'm glad they are finally cutting the preseason prices down. Nothing pissed me off more than spending $100 on tickets and having to put $200 of it down on worthless games. $200 is not that much in the grand scheme of things but when you spend it unwillingly it's more of a loss.

Catches: 3 Yards: 38 TDs: 0

vCash

Lions raise overall ticket prices but cut preseason price

Living in Carolina Panther territory and went to the 11/16/2008 game at Bank of America Stadium and had very good experience there. The tailgating experience was good. Of course that being the 0-16 season there were actually quite a few Lions fans at the game especially where I was sitting at. I was lucky enough to get seats two rows from the field near the south end zone and on the Lions sideline. The Panthers fans are very classy. I've never been to Ford Field since I've lived in the Myrtle Beach area for the past 27 years after moving from the Grand Rapids area at an early age.

AAL: Ndamukong Suh
    Tackles: 6
    Sacks:
    Personal Fouls:

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions 1-1
    Detroit Tigers 83-66
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Overall: 2-0 ACC:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Angels View Post
    I do, and here are tens of thousands of season ticket holders who agree with me. Is either way the "right" answer? Of course not. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and has their own preferences. I love going to see the games live, and Ford Field does a great job in getting the fans in the stands the same looks that the fans at home get as far as instant replay and live play. From the camaraderie at the tailgate to the electric atmosphere in the stadium make the games 10,000% more enjoyable than watching at home, and I wouldn't give up the experience for anything. I know for most STH, especially when you've had the same seats for years and have made really good friends with 30-40 fellow STHs around you, and see them every year at every game, it becomes so much more than just a football game.

As far as the increase in ticket prices, am I happy about it? Of course not. Who doesn't like paying less for ****? However, I do appreciate that Lions organization, which from personal experience believe that Ford Field is easily one of the better stadium experiences in the league, has kept prices to one of the cheaper tickets in the NFL. I haven't received my invoice yet, but if the 8.2% increase holds true, my 4 seats will go from $3,640.00/year to $3,939.00/year. Not a deal breaker for me by any means, not even close. What I am surprised by is that the Lions have instituted tiered game pricing, similar to Wings tickets, and they really didn't need to. They've had no problem whatsoever selling out every home game, and the organization could have kept every game at a flat rate and simply raised prices across the board. Even though I'll see a slight price hike, I think the new pricing strategy is more fan friendly to those attending a game or two a year and should be appreciated.
    So, let me get this straight.......when you say you are happy to pay the $4,000 price tag for those four seats and the increase wasn't a deal breaker, or as you put it "not even close to a deal breaker", what would be your deal breaker price just outta curiousity? I mean, I know as a season ticket holder, you enjoy certain perks such as certain access to pracitces, autograph sessions, ect. but $500 a week to watch a team lose all those years since you owned those tickets sounds kinda foolish to me. I was a Pistons season ticket holder for five years and I ditched those tickets back in 2009 cause I was tired of getting ripped off.....and this is a period where they made the playoffs most of those seasons.

I gotta go with ahoda on this one. The TV experience is too enhanced these days to justify doing that. Especially when a quality product isn't put out on the field year-after-year. Screw those 30-40 friends you got at the stadium. Throw something at your place, buy all the food, a new big screen TV to view it and you would still come out further ahead.

Thank you for your continued support in preventing TV blackouts tho. Someone's gotta go blow the money so the game can be seen by all.

vCash
    Sports are made for tv. That's how the league makes money. The players and fans can all just sit and wait while we add more commercial breaks during games. The 2 minute drill was added strictly for commercials. Going to a game once in a while is fine, but shelling out $4000 every year for tickets alone is insane.

2013 & 2014 Lions Forum Draft Prediction Game Champion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mc18641 View Post
    So, let me get this straight.......when you say you are happy to pay the $4,000 price tag for those four seats and the increase wasn't a deal breaker, or as you put it "not even close to a deal breaker", what would be your deal breaker price just outta curiousity? I mean, I know as a season ticket holder, you enjoy certain perks such as certain access to pracitces, autograph sessions, ect. but $500 a week to watch a team lose all those years since you owned those tickets sounds kinda foolish to me. I was a Pistons season ticket holder for five years and I ditched those tickets back in 2009 cause I was tired of getting ripped off.....and this is a period where they made the playoffs most of those seasons.

I gotta go with ahoda on this one. The TV experience is too enhanced these days to justify doing that. Especially when a quality product isn't put out on the field year-after-year. Screw those 30-40 friends you got at the stadium. Throw something at your place, buy all the food, a new big screen TV to view it and you would still come out further ahead.

Thank you for your continued support in preventing TV blackouts tho. Someone's gotta go blow the money so the game can be seen by all.
    LOL Happy to oblige...

Not interested in coming off like a complete d-bag, so let's just say that the amount of money I pay for tickets vs. my annual household income presents absolutely no hardship whatsoever. Owning a big screen TV and throwing parties (for away games) and being a STH are not mutually exclusive concepts. Believe it or not, it's possible to have both and I'm lucky that purchasing season tickets makes me no more or less "further ahead" than if I didn't.

What price would be too much? Haven't had to put too much thought into it because Lions seats are still one of the cheaper tickets in the NFL. Like you did with your Pistons tickets, I guess I'd have to cross that bridge if I ever came to it.

Some people prefer the live experience and some don't. I enjoy watching away games on the tube just as much as you do, I simply find the live stadium experience, win or lose, far more enjoyable. If purchasing them is a financially viable option, then it fundamentally becomes a matter of personal opinion. AFAIC, what you do with your disposable entertainment income is your choice and yours alone.