Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

25 Man Roster Projection

I keep holding out hope for a triumphant return from A.J. Burnett or a big splash move to acquire a 1B but as the days go by and Spring Training gets closer and closer the reality is what we see right now is very likely what we are going to get. With that in mind I thought I would try to put together what I see as the current 25 man roster.

Starting 8
    C: Russell Martin
    1B: Andrew Lambo
    2B: Neil Walker
    3B: Pedro Alvarez
    SS: Jordy Mercer
    LF: Starling Marte
    CF: Andrew McCutchen
    RF: Jose Tabata

Bench
    C: Chris Stewart
    1B: Gaby Sanchez
    MI: Clint Barmes
    OF: Travis Snider
    U: Josh Harrison

Starting Rotation
    #1 Francisco Liriano
    #2 Gerrit Cole
    #3 Charlie Morton
    #4 Wandy Rodriguez
    #5 Edinson Volquez

Bullpen
    CL: Jason Grilli
    SU: Mark Melancon
    LH: Justin Wilson
    LH: Tony Watson
    MR: Bryan Morris
    MR: Vin Mazzaro
    LR: Stolmy Pimentel

Lineups
    vs RHP
    Starling Marte, LF
    Neil Walker, 2B
    Andrew McCutchen, CF
    Pedro Alvarez, 3B
    Russell Martin, C
    Andrew Lambo, 1B
    Jose Tabata, RF
    Jordy Mercer, SS

vs LHP
    Starling Marte, LF
    Jordy Mercer, SS
    Andrew McCutchen, CF
    Gaby Sanchez, 1B
    Pedro Alvarez, 3B
    Russell Martin, C
    Jose Tabata, RF
    Josh Harrison, 2B*

* I don't expect a straight Walker/Harrison platoon but I suspect we will see Harrison get the majority of starts at 2B against LHP.

So thoughts? Anything you see here you disagree with?
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Despite the lack of moves over the offseason, it actually doesn't look too bad. Add to the fact that we could see Polanco and Taillon at some point and the depth looks even better. I will say that the rotation would look better with Burnett in there though.

I just don't like entering a season with two question marks in Wandy and Volquez

vCash
    i love the fact they are going to give jordy merder the shortstop position. i just pray for no injuries. this team cant afford any, not like any team can. I think taking jones off this team hurts the bench, but also is good because it frees up playing time for tabata. im ok with wandy and volquez as question marks. we still have crumpton, locke and tallion waiting. I think j. Gomez is on this roster. not sure if we trade a relief pitcher or stolmy is in the minors waiting. would like a solid 1st baseman, hope lambo can step up. maybe management can pull something off for a 1st baseman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh76 View Post
    i love the fact they are going to give jordy merder the shortstop position. i just pray for no injuries. this team cant afford any, not like any team can. I think taking jones off this team hurts the bench, but also is good because it frees up playing time for tabata. im ok with wandy and volquez as question marks. we still have crumpton, locke and tallion waiting. I think j. Gomez is on this roster. not sure if we trade a relief pitcher or stolmy is in the minors waiting. would like a solid 1st baseman, hope lambo can step up. maybe management can pull something off for a 1st baseman
    Pimentel is a near lock for the bullpen. He is out of options so can't be sent to the minors without clearing waivers (which he won't do). Gomez is competing with Morris and Mazzaro for the final two spots. They seem to really like Morris so I think it comes down to Mazzaro or Gomez (unless of course someone is traded).

vCash
    I think the bench is pretty weak, but a lot depends on what we get from Snider and to an extent Harrison
    The Future of The Jacksonville Jaguars
    Duuuuuuuvvvvaaaaaaaalllll

vCash
    The bench is definitely weak but that's a consequence of carrying two defense only players on it. I think Harrison will be ok in a utility role this year and Sanchez should do his job but the question becomes will Snider, Lambo and Tabata do theirs?

vCash
    Speaking of Snider, what ever happened to Brad Lincoln?
    The Future of The Jacksonville Jaguars
    Duuuuuuuvvvvaaaaaaaalllll

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JNev View Post
    Speaking of Snider, what ever happened to Brad Lincoln?
    He was traded to the Phillies this offseason for another ex-Pirate. I recalled that happening but had to look up exactly who and it was Erik Kratz.

vCash
    Wow, talk about Toronto "losing" that one. I know Snider hasn't played as we all though/hoped he would, but Lincoln netted us a starting (at that point) RF and got Toronto a backup catcher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    Wow, talk about Toronto "losing" that one. I know Snider hasn't played as we all though/hoped he would, but Lincoln netted us a starting (at that point) RF and got Toronto a backup catcher
    Tough to call it a win considering Snider has done virtually zilch but yeah I'd rather take a chance on him right now than either Lincoln or Kratz.

To be fair the Blue Jays also apparently got some guy named Rob Rasmussen (didn't know this until I looked the deal up) in the deal. He is a left handed pitcher who will be 25 years old this year. He had a decent amount of success last year in AA but got absolutely rocked in AAA.