Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

How 'bout dem...... Nets?

Coming into the season, expectations were high for the Nets. They played poorly, were plagued by injuries, and couldn't seem to get their chemistry down right. What seemed like a nightmare got worse. Deron Williams and Brooke Lopez, the team's two best players, went down with injuries and Lopez was lost for the season.

Then the new year came along. If the season had started on January 1st, the Nets would have the best record in the league right now. They are 10-1 in the month of January and are now only two games under .500, which in the East puts them in the playoffs.

How did this turnaround happen? Is it just an easy schedule? They did beat both the Heat and the Thunder in this stretch. Did Kidd figure out what he was doing? Did the players finally find a way to mesh? Is the loss of Lopez and limited minutes given to Reggie Evans a form of addition by subtraction?

Please help me make sense of this.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    6 teams were above .500 so no not just an easy schedule. Ball movement, chemistry, and length at every position (vastly improved defensively) = wins.

KG is better suited for the 5 so with Brook going down (a very efficient and good player but a ball stopper) kind for forced them to go small and they now have 5 smart basketball players on the court at one time that can all pass shoot and defend. The small ball hurts their rebounding but they make up for it with IQ and unselfishness.

They just needed time to gel and health (the beginning of the year was just brutal, one guy going down after another). The defensive length with AK, KG and Livingston is just tough on teams.

Add to that a very good bench with Blatche, AK, Teletovic and AA (once D-Will goes back to starting) finally getting comfortable with his role they are just so well rounded and play smart.

Very fun team to watch watch almost Spurs like with the ball movement.
    Last edited by Rockice_8; 01-27-2014 at 09:21 AM.

vCash
    ^ What he said but he only forgot the ******* the Nets part..

vCash

How 'bout dem...... Nets?

I have to be brutally honest. I think NBA is fixed. There is no way you can suck that bad and then win 10/11. It's just weird. Or maybe it's just me.

vCash
    its just u..lol

vCash
    If it was fixed why even have them start so bad?

vCash
    More defined roles and balance of skills instead of a stockpile of "stars", former "stars" and redundant scorers into an awkward fitting starting 5.

Just goes to further show that inferior talent that fits is almost always > superior talent that doesn't fit unless that talent gap is stacked to a point where you can have a ton of guys struggle to fit, play way below their respective peak and win anyway (Miami).
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    Losing a slow, dumb, ball stopping C that is bad at every form of defense besides protecting the rim helps.

That combined with KG going back to C where he is still an elite defensive player and AK returning has helped them be a top defensive team this month. Livingston at pg with AA at sg has helped as well cuz Livingston has length to defend 3 positions and AA can as well.

Their bench is pretty damn good too. Who would say no to a bench of Deron Williams, Andrei Kirilenko, Mirza Teletovic, Jason Terry, and Andre Blatche? All can be starters or play starters minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Max.This View Post
    Brooklyn isn't smoking noone's *** besides the line at the medicare office
    Sig bet with FriedTofuz or whatever his name is (I'm on my phone so it's too tedious to go find his exact name) that if the Nets lose to the Raptors I will delete my account and if the Raptors lose he will delete his (lol Raptors fans are so cute).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill_Will_24 View Post
    Losing a slow, dumb, ball stopping C that is bad at every form of defense besides protecting the rim helps.

That combined with KG going back to C where he is still an elite defensive player and AK returning has helped them be a top defensive team this month. Livingston at pg with AA at sg has helped as well cuz Livingston has length to defend 3 positions and AA can as well.

Their bench is pretty damn good too. Who would say no to a bench of Deron Williams, Andrei Kirilenko, Mirza Teletovic, Jason Terry, and Andre Blatche? All can be starters or play starters minutes
    Is Deron on the bench permanent or just until he gets his legs back?

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    I don't know how they're doing it, but it's nice to see. Maybe the Nets will make some noise in the playoffs.

Who the best in the league? You tell me...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEnNB4aSRs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Is Deron on the bench permanent or just until he gets his legs back?
    I think it's going to be permanent barring an injury. He is happy coming off the bench. It was his idea. Livingston has played way better with the starters since he never looks to score and is a way better defender than Deron. Deron brings scoring and leadership to our 2nd Unit. DWIL's main problem since he's been a Net has been confidence and he's gotten alot of confidence destroying back up PG's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waveycrockett View Post
    I think it's going to be permanent barring an injury. He is happy coming off the bench. It was his idea. Livingston has played way better with the starters since he never looks to score and is a way better defender than Deron. Deron brings scoring and leadership to our 2nd Unit. DWIL's main problem since he's been a Net has been confidence and he's gotten alot of confidence destroying back up PG's
    Really just goes to show how discombobulated the original starting 5 was. Took moving Pierce to the bench, than the 4 spot, KG to the 5, starting Livingston and Alan Anderson to finally find a lineup with some balance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    Coming into the season, expectations were high for the Nets. They played poorly, were plagued by injuries, and couldn't seem to get their chemistry down right. What seemed like a nightmare got worse. Deron Williams and Brooke Lopez, the team's two best players, went down with injuries and Lopez was lost for the season.

Then the new year came along. If the season had started on January 1st, the Nets would have the best record in the league right now. They are 10-1 in the month of January and are now only two games under .500, which in the East puts them in the playoffs.

How did this turnaround happen? Is it just an easy schedule? They did beat both the Heat and the Thunder in this stretch. Did Kidd figure out what he was doing? Did the players finally find a way to mesh? Is the loss of Lopez and limited minutes given to Reggie Evans a form of addition by subtraction?

Please help me make sense of this.
    You want to know why.

- Frank was sabotaging Kidd
    - and it took Kidd a few weeks to right the ship after that

He turned a line up that featured

- Brooke Lopez [raw in the post]
    - Kevin Garnett [spurts of 5 mins]
    - Paul Pierce [bad and slow at the 3]
    - Joe Johnson [stiff at the 2]
    - Deron Williams [one of the main reasons Joe was slow]

It took Lopez being done and Deron being limited to upgrade the line up

- Suddenly Garnett was put at the 5, more natural position for his age [now you got interior D and post passing]

- Then it was Paul Pierce at the 4, [mismatch for most 4's and more versatility from that position]

- Then Joe Johnson was slid up to the 3 [mismatch for most 3's w/ his one and one isos and now you matched most 3's better than Pierce did and the offense ran through him]

- Then the glue to all this Shaun Livingston was your PG, higher IQ than Deron, better defender than Deron that's for sure [a stretch PG who rebounds and defends and makes plays]

- Alan Anderson would become the weak link as a serviceable 2 guard who can defend the backcourt and is better suited for catch and shoot

- The bench would then improve w/ more PT from Blatche and Mirza Telelovic who Jason Kidd has completely changed the perception of these 2 players more than any other coach.

- Some people didn't notice this too. But at times before the injuries Kidd was testing putting Mirza and Blatche on the floor together. Kidd was testing putting Livingston w/ Deron b/c he was under-performing at the 1 spot. These aren't all of the sudden moves. This is how advanced Jason Kidd's mind is. He sees the game in a way many can't explain and well here you have a team that suddenly went from a under .500 joke to a potential top team in the East. A 3-6 seed team. If they get their hands on a legit back up big or 10-14 PPG guard, there could be a shift in the east b/c they are moving the ball at an incredible pace for their age.
    Last edited by KniCks4LiFe; 01-27-2014 at 12:36 PM.
    when they forget what Kevin Long saids

I follow rules and appreciate the ignore button

vCash
    With Ak-47 back the Nets have by Far the best bench in the NBA. Something that gets over looked alot. Even if our starters get outplayed like they did last night our Bench just murders the other teams 2nd unit. It's been a long time since I've seen a bench this strong maybe since the 2011 MAVS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waveycrockett View Post
    With Ak-47 back the Nets have by Far the best bench in the NBA. Something that gets over looked alot. Even if our starters get outplayed like they did last night our Bench just murders the other teams 2nd unit. It's been a long time since I've seen a bench this strong maybe since the 2011 MAVS.
    I think you have 3 really good bench players, 2 suspects. Tho Deron coming off the bench makes them difficult to handle.
    when they forget what Kevin Long saids

I follow rules and appreciate the ignore button

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast