Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Anyone like Troy Niklas as a first rounder?

Guy seems like a unique athlete to me. Top rated prep as an O lineman. Played linebacker for Notre Dame before moving to TE in 2012. Averaged 15.7 ypc at 6-7, 270 pounds last year. About the same as Eric Ebron (who is 6-4, 245) and Niklas had two more TD catches than Ebron. Had more receiving yards than Seferian-Jenkins, and is a stonewall blocker.

vCash
    Because TE's and 21 personnel is en vogue he will be, but he still has a lot of development in front of him.
    Coulson Lives

vCash
    could sneak in late. but definitely early 2nd

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Because TE's and 21 personnel is en vogue he will be, but he still has a lot of development in front of him.
    TEs? Yes very much. 21 personnel? Not really, more so 11.

I think theres still a lot of scouting and rising and falling to occur before its seen whether he's a probable first rounder. As of now, I don't think so, but I wouldn't be stunned. I think he'll be a decent player
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    TEs? Yes very much. 21 personnel? Not really, more so 11.

I think theres still a lot of scouting and rising and falling to occur before its seen whether he's a probable first rounder. As of now, I don't think so, but I wouldn't be stunned. I think he'll be a decent player
    So you're saying 2 TE personnel isn't big in the NFL right now? Look at how many teams are talking about a second TE.
    Coulson Lives

vCash
    Great TE class.. and yes he could sneak into the end of the 1st

vCash
    So you're saying 2 TE personnel isn't big in the NFL right now? Look at how many teams are talking about a second TE.
    Oh. 21 personnel is 2 backs 1 TE, prototypical I formation or offset I formation type personnel.

12 personnel is 2 TEs and I agree more with your sentiment in that case. I love 12 personnel with 2 dynamic and versatile TEs forcing the defense to play base or nickel and being mismatched either way. I still think 11 is the most popular personnel set, but 12 is indeed becoming big

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Oh. 21 personnel is 2 backs 1 TE, prototypical I formation or offset I formation type personnel.

12 personnel is 2 TEs and I agree more with your sentiment in that case. I love 12 personnel with 2 dynamic and versatile TEs forcing the defense to play base or nickel and being mismatched either way. I still think 11 is the most popular personnel set, but 12 is indeed becoming big
    Sorry just saw that it came out 21 in my post. Yes I meant 12 personnel.

11 personnel is popular, but I don't think it's the dominating formation. 21 and 12 still are the leading formations.
    Coulson Lives

vCash
    I don't know how to go about finding such stats, but a google search leads to this:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...13/matching-11

I can't imagine that much has changed in a year for 21 or 12 to be leading, especially considering I trust my eyes with the amount of football I watch, and I feel like I see more 11 than anything else.

vCash
    On film Niklas looks a lot better than Amaro or Ebron to me. They don't even try to block. Amaro just runs checkdown routes all the time, and the defense lets him make the catch because he is only 5 yards down the field. They just try to keep him in front of them. When Niklas blocks the guys stop dead in their tracks, then he starts to move them backwards. I'd have him first among tight ends.

vCash
    ^ I hope he could do all that as he came in as an Offensive Tackle.

He hasn't been playing TE long. Not polished in route running, still learning to catch the ball. Kinda athletic, but doesn't move like Amaro or Ebron.

If we still had the non-slotted pay, there's no way Niklas sniffs maybe even round 2. But because, finically, there is no huge commitment I would fully expect someone to 'overdraft' him. I'm looking at a team with a young QB to either move up (Seattle), or move back in (Jax) to give their QB a security blanket.
    Coulson Lives

vCash
    Clearly it depends on the style of player you're looking for on your team.

I don't think anyone in this draft at the TE position has the movement skills or the ball skills that Ebron has. He plays bigger than 6'4, he has no problem going up to get the ball and hanging onto it in traffic. And he can really move down the seam. He's going to be a weapon in the passing game. His blocking is pretty horrendous at times and UNC tries to hide it by running away from him or splitting him out to get a more open box, but he has the tools to be a solid blocker and isn't something I'd be worried about. The Miami game showed me he's at least willing to bang because that sam was coming after him and he came back at him. He's not going to be a dominant inline Y in a run first power scheme, but I think he'll be competent enough as a blocker and the most talented receiver of the bunch.

vCash
    ^ honestly, I think your team is one of the ones that needs to explore moving down and getting in position to get one of the top 3 TE's on the board. Eli's good year all come when he's had a reliable TE to go to. Boss, Pasco, Bennet were all of Eli's best seasons.
    Coulson Lives

vCash
    ^ honestly, I think your team is one of the ones that needs to explore moving down and getting in position to get one of the top 3 TE's on the board. Eli's good year all come when he's had a reliable TE to go to. Boss, Pasco, Bennet were all of Eli's best seasons.
    If the offensive line didn't need as much help as it does, I would 100% stand behind Ebron at 12 as long as Clowney, Robinson, Matthews, or Mack are gone.

vCash
    ^ I hope he could do all that as he came in as an Offensive Tackle.

He hasn't been playing TE long. Not polished in route running, still learning to catch the ball. Kinda athletic, but doesn't move like Amaro or Ebron.

If we still had the non-slotted pay, there's no way Niklas sniffs maybe even round 2. But because, finically, there is no huge commitment I would fully expect someone to 'overdraft' him. I'm looking at a team with a young QB to either move up (Seattle), or move back in (Jax) to give their QB a security blanket.
    Actually he was a TE in high school, along with playing various spots on the defensive side. N.D. recruited a TE who was really highly rated (Hayack?) at the same time so they took a look at Niklas as an O lineman or LB. He didn't have the bulk to play the line, (I think he was about 250 at the time), so they moved him to LB, and he played the full season there as a true freshman, starting a couple of games. Next season he moved back to TE, I guess he looked better than the other guy, and was primary backup to Eifert. Started half the games, I think, but didn't get a lot of targets, obviously. As a junior he didn't get a lot of targets either, but made the most of them. Nearly 16 ypc average and 5 Tds. His hands are at least as good as Ebron or Amaro, but he isn't as fast or agile because of his size. N.D. didn't have the best quarterbacks in the world last season either. I think he is probably a lot higher on pro scout boards than the amateurs have him listed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast