Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northport, LI
    Posts
    1,152
    vCash
    1500

    Satin getting advice on playing the OF.

    Maybe he should get some tips on catching too.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/26/sp...spensable.html
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    78,867
    vCash
    1500

    Satin getting advice on playing the OF.

    Well nobody can be as bad as Duda.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aurora, CO (HT Queens, NY)
    Posts
    11,796
    vCash
    1500
    A Satan in the the outfield!

  4. 01-26-2014, 05:49 PM
    Reason
    Duplicate account - dbroncos78087

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,862
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Park Slope View Post
    How many players without positions does this team have?
    Right now Flores and Duda. You can make the case for Murphy but he's good enough offensively to remain productive at 2nd base. They are just entertaining the idea of giving Satin some OF time because he was very effective against LHP last year.

    It's really not a big deal. I doubt they give Duda or Satin much if any time out there.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,692
    vCash
    1500
    It's not that the players have no position, it's that their position isn't open on this team.

    Murphy: 3rd baseman
    Flores: 3rd baseman
    Satin: 1st baseman
    Duda: 1st baseman

    3B is taken by Wright, so Murphy and Flores are forced to 2B. 1B is taken by Ike, so Duda is forced to the OF.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bricktucky, NJ
    Posts
    1,364
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Right now Flores and Duda. You can make the case for Murphy but he's good enough offensively to remain productive at 2nd base. They are just entertaining the idea of giving Satin some OF time because he was very effective against LHP last year.

    It's really not a big deal. I doubt they give Duda or Satin much if any time out there.
    Its not a big deal necessarily, but the dude has a point. Four players out of position is a pretty decent amount for one roster, and we've been trying to shoe horn Duda somewhere for years.

  8. 01-26-2014, 05:58 PM
    Reason
    Duplicate account - dbroncos78087

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,862
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    Its not a big deal necessarily, but the dude has a point. Four players out of position is a pretty decent amount for one roster, and we've been trying to shoe horn Duda somewhere for years.
    Murphy is not out of position so to speak because he's still a 2-3 WAR 2nd baseman. That puts him in the upper echelon of 2nd baseman league wide. They're lucky that he hits enough to overlook his marginal defense.

    Flores has a nice ceiling offensively too and if he reaches it, he could be very similar to Murphy, maybe even more productive. Still gonna have to deal with marginal defense though.

    Duda belongs as a DH imo. His advanced stats put him in a similar ballpark to Kendry Morales but he can play 1st and the Mets have to make a choice this season who they are going to commit to whether it's Ike/Duda or preferably neither.

    Satin is a backup 1st baseman who if he is as effective against LHP as he was last year should be used in such circumstance.

    I still think 1st base is going to be an issue next year in trade or FA but we'll see. I hope Ike breaks out personally and can be effective until Smith is ready.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-26-2014 at 06:10 PM.

  10. 01-26-2014, 06:08 PM
    Reason
    Duplicate account - dbroncos78087

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,862
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Park Slope View Post
    We have a SS who may play 2B if Murphy goes. Duda is going to get LF reps. Several CFers will play RF. We can't find a place for Flores. Eric Young is the back up at 2B.

    Seems like a lot. Maybe not. Who knows.
    Flores deserves a chance at 2nd. They're going to give him ample opportunity in Vegas to prove it this season. Hopefully he hits enough to overlook his marginal defense (ironically similar to Murphy). Like YS said though, he's more a 3rd baseman than anything else which means he might be traded at some point too. That said, it's good to have some versatility with Eric Young and it's never bad to have CF range playing corner spots. If Murphy gets hurt, they'll give EYJR and Flores time at 2nd.

    Duda hits RHP, that's their main reason for giving him any looks in LF. That and Ike is going to be the 1st baseman to start the season but that issue will be resolved this year, hell or high water. Someone will either emerge with the 1st base job or they'll move Ike and/or Duda (whether that's DFA one of them, trading one, etc).

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,692
    vCash
    1500
    Murphy is absolutely out of position at 2B. He would be a 3+ WAR 3B on another team imo.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bricktucky, NJ
    Posts
    1,364
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Murphy is not out of position so to speak because he's still a 2-3 WAR 2nd baseman. That puts him in the upper echelon of 2nd baseman league wide. They're lucky that he hits enough to overlook his marginal defense.

    Flores has a nice ceiling offensively too and if he reaches it, he could be very similar to Murphy, maybe even more productive. Still gonna have to deal with marginal defense though.

    Duda belongs as a DH imo. His advanced stats put him in a similar ballpark to Kendry Morales but he can play 1st and the Mets have to make a choice this season who they are going to commit to whether it's Ike/Duda or preferably neither.

    Satin is a backup 1st baseman who if he is as effective against LHP as he was last year should be used in such circumstance.

    I still think 1st base is going to be an issue next year in trade or FA but we'll see. I hope Ike breaks out personally and can be effective until Smith is ready.
    There is really nothing I disagree with that you said- but none of these players are players that are in a position that they are excelling at or project to excel at, which is why I agree with the post about out of position players. I feel like EY is another guy that could be in the conversation

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,862
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Murphy is absolutely out of position at 2B. He would be a 3+ WAR 3B on another team imo.
    Meh he was a 3 fWAR 2nd baseman last year. He could be more productive at 3rd but we are talking very minimal difference. Give or take 1 WAR.

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,862
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    There is really nothing I disagree with that you said- but none of these players are players that are in a position that they are excelling at or project to excel at, which is why I agree with the post about out of position players. I feel like EY is another guy that could be in the conversation
    Flores being potentially a 3 WAR second baseman would put him in the top 10 of that position league wide much like Murphy is now. They are and could still be strong assets. They're not Robinson Cano but still effective nonetheless.

    EYJR is a bench player so is Satin imo. No more, no less.

    I understand your point but I think a lot of is made out to be more than it is. I think this year they will wean some of that out. Murphy or Flores will be dealt by next offseason imo, Duda or Ike will be moved, Satin and EYJR will remain on the bench.

  16. 01-26-2014, 06:46 PM
    Reason
    Duplicate account - dbroncos78087

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,692
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Meh he was a 3 fWAR 2nd baseman last year. He could be more productive at 3rd but we are talking very minimal difference. Give or take 1 WAR.
    Only because of his baserunning. He sucks at 2B. His arm is good and a lot more useful at 3B. It's also a reaction position as opposed to a range position.

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,862
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Only because of his baserunning. He sucks at 2B. His arm is good and a lot more useful at 3B. It's also a reaction position as opposed to a range position.
    He's still a 2+ fWAR second baseman without the above average baserunning. Like I said, a difference but not significantly. We aren't talking about a 2-3 win difference when we are making reference to the same positional adjustment for 2nd and 3rd.

    Either way, they obviously don't have a need at 3rd so Murphy is fine where he is as long as he hits and with Teufel at 3rd base, he should still be an above average baserunner.

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,862
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Park Slope View Post
    I get all the whys and wherefores. It just seems like we have a lot of guys looking for place to play and we only win 75 games. Maybe other teams have the same problem. Just seem like we have these conversations a lot.
    Only because I think people overreact to what they hear in some cases. They hear Duda playing LF/RF like he is going to get 80 games out there. I doubt he gets 15 games if that if his defense is similar again to what it's been in the past.

    EYJR only gets mention as a starter because we have no leadoff presence which hopefully they fix by signing Drew.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •