Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Friday And-1 links: What happened to all those draft picks the Knicks gave away?

Pretty interesting

For the sake of both concision and overall-narrative weight, it makes the most sense to start in 2001, two years after Dolan assumed near-total control of the Knicks.

Year: 2001

Trade: A four-teamer involving the Knicks, Phoenix Suns, Los Angeles Lakers and Seattle Supersonics. The details are way too complicated to get into, but it involves the Knicks sending Patrick Ewing to the Sonics and a first-round pick to the Phoenix Suns while receiving three picks (they won’t be around long) and Luc Longley, who was waived the following year.

Pick turns into: Jason Collins.

Also available: Zach Randolph, Gerald Wallace, Tony Parker, Gilbert Arenas, Mehmet Okur.

Dumb quotient: 10. Fitting that our first move involves the Knicks jettisoning arguably the best player in their team’s history. They might not be kicking themselves over losing out on Jason Collins, but the other guys? Yeesh. Hindsight aside, a poor precedent has been set in motion. That, coupled with the karma, accounts for the 10.

Year: 2002

Trade: A draft-day deal in which the Knicks sent Marcus Camby, Mark Jackson and Nenê—whom they had just selected with the seventh overall pick—to the Denver Nuggets for Frank Williams and Antonio McDyess.

Pick turns into: Well, it turned into Nenê. Last we checked, he was pretty good.

Also available: Carlos Boozer, Luis Scola, John Salmons. Oh, and Amar'e Stoudemire.

Dumb quotient: 9. One of the more legendarily bad moves of the Dolan era. It’s not clear what the Knicks thought they were getting in McDyess, who was coming off a series of devastating, career-altering knee injuries. What they weren’t getting in Nenê—and, to a different extent, Frank Williams—may have been just as crushing.

Could've had him. Don't have him.

Year: 2004

Trade: The Marbury Mega-Deal, whereby the Knicks sent McDyess, Charlie Ward, a pair of fringe prospects—Maciej Lampe and Milos Vujanic—and two first-rounders (2004 and 2010) to the Suns for Stephon Marbury, Anfernee Hardaway and Cezary Trybanski.

Picks turn into: Kirk Snyder in 2004 (So what?) and Gordon Hayward in 2010. (Oops.) Who was selected one spot after Hayward? Just a guy named Paul George. Perhaps you've heard of him.

Also available: Larry Sanders, Eric Bledsoe, Greivis Vásquez, Lance Stephenson.

Dumb quotient: 8. Before Carmelo Anthony’s controversial homecoming, the Knicks tried to make Marbury the face of Manhattan. It failed spectacularly—not merely because of Starbury’s spotty play and strange antics, but for how the move hindered the Knicks financially. Losing out on Hayward (a very good player) and George (the second coming of Scottie Pippen, basically) certainly doesn't help.

Year: 2006

Trade: The Knicks got Eddy Curry, Antonio Davis and a first-rounder (later turned into Wilson Chandler—not bad) in exchange for a slew of roster flotsam and four picks—two firsts and two seconds.

Picks turn into: LaMarcus Aldridge (2006), Joakim Noah (2007).

Also available: So, so many.

Dumb quotient: 37. We’ll just let you look at this chart, courtesy of our friends at BlogABull.com:

Year: 2010

Trade: Another super-complicated one, this one involving the Knicks, Houston Rockets and Sacramento Kings, with New York’s goal being to free up cap space that would eventually be used to sign Amar’e Stoudemire. The Knicks sent a first-rounder to Houston.

Pick turns into: Royce White.

Also available: Terrence Jones, Andrew Nicholson, Jared Sullinger.

Dumb quotient: 3. In the end, the Knicks got what they wanted: a big free-agent to rebuild their roster. Needless to say, White hasn’t exactly panned out. The long-term effects of the move are debatable, but you can’t say the Knicks gave up much on the draft front.

Year: 2011

Trade: Denver sends Melo, Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams and Renaldo Balkman to the Knicks in exchange for Wilson Chandler (there goes that pick), Danilo Gallinari (and that one), Raymond Felton, Timofey Mozgov, one first (2014) and two seconds. The Minnesota Timberwolves were also involved in an ancillary capacity.

Pick turns into: Knowing the Knicks? Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, Aaron Gordon or Joel Embiid, probably.

Dumb quotient: TBD—depends on how that first-rounder renders. While you can argue all that was a steep price to pay for Melo, it'll likely be years before we find out exactly how steep.

The Knicks traded a first-rounder for Bargnani.

Year: 2013

Trade: In an effort to bolster their scoring, the Knicks reel in Andrea Bargnani from the Toronto Raptors. The price: Steve Novak, Marcus Camby, Quentin Richardson, a 2016 first-rounder and two seconds (2014, 2017).

Pick turns into: TBD.

Dumb quotient: TBD.
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...cks-gave-away/
    Twitter me PSDers I follow back @Electrro

vCash
    This is why I detest trading first round draft picks unless your the Miami Heat. The Knicks never learn. This is why I wasn't found of trading a 2016 first round pick, 2014 and 2017 second round picks, for Andreai Bargnani.
    (Who is currently out indefinitely with a torn left elbow ligament)

Yes first round picks you trade can be low, but unless your 100% certain your going to win 55+ games you don't trade them. This is my biggest gripe with James Dolan. He is an ****ing ***** who has no patience, always is in "win now" mode, mortgaging away the future-- which often turn into favorable first round picks for other teams.

I absolutely Lost it, when I heard it was rumored they would trade their 2018 first round pick for one year of ****ing Kyle Lowry. The sad part is I'd still be a fan. :/
    Last edited by xabial; 01-24-2014 at 07:45 PM.

vCash
    well looks about time to start trading yet again for the knicks...

vCash
    one thing I still dont understand is why Knicks gave up a 1st for bargnani....it just makes no sense.

Nobody didnt want Bargs and thought that Raps would have to give up 1st to get rid of the guy instead they get a 1st!!!! How the hell that happened???

Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    The Knicks were never this bad of a team. They always have been a 48-50 win team stuck in what was a 21-40 team's body.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xabial View Post
    This is why I detest trading first round draft picks unless your the Miami Heat. The Knicks never learn. This is why I wasn't found of trading a 2016 first round pick, 2014 and 2017 second round picks, for Andreai Bargnani.
    (Who is currently out indefinitely with a torn left elbow ligament)
    The raptors probably got more for the high flying Andreai Bargnani than Chicago did for Deng.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kobe24-TJ19- View Post
    one thing I still dont understand is why Knicks gave up a 1st for bargnani....it just makes no sense.

Nobody didnt want Bargs and thought that Raps would have to give up 1st to get rid of the guy instead they get a 1st!!!! How the hell that happened???
    because they give picks away like candy,thats because they sip the eternal optimism kool-aid(bargs will become a star and the pick will be 30th)...not really a way to run a franchise

vCash
    give us a first for kirk hinrich please