Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Have You Been Trying Sportsnet Out?

Was curious. I haven't been watching much of the anaylsts, the shows, etc, but when I do it's still TSN each time. With Sportsnet having the NHL deal, I've been trying them out a little bit. I still can't do it. I don't like it one bit. I don't like the anaylsts, the hockey topics, the little shows, nothing.

I'm not much of a CBC guy myself either. I'm Canadian but I just do not like Don Cherry, or really anything about CBC's HNIC besides the fact that it airs the games, etc.

When I do, it's Sports Centre highlights or I sometimes put on That's Hockey 2 Night. I'll watch previews of tonight's games or post recaps. They break a lot of it down in such a professional manner.

Anybody else the same here? Any other Canadians getting worried about this? The deal adds to the salary cap, but for me personally, I just can't do Sports Centre. I can't watch their hockey shows, their MMA shows, anything really. I'll tune in for the sporting events (just MMA at the moment) and as soon as it's done, I tune out.

vCash
    I will still always favorite CBC and TSN. Sportsnet has never, and will never put out the best product because they dont have to, with the rights everyone has to watch them anyways. I've worked for them a little and with their mentality, they probably wont improve. Plus there channel is the easiest in terms of accessibility.

If you want a good sportsnet product get rid of your cable/satellite for a year and stream games because when you go back, LeafsTV seems like an award winning product lol

vCash
    Sportsnet is by far the worst of them all. I still love Don Cherry but the hotstove has gone way done hill and the choice to have Hughson call Leaf games over Bob Cole is just a crime. TSN is the best at everything hockey and it really sucks that they get nothing in this new deal. What I would like to see is Sportsnet headhunt Dreger and Mckenzie because Maclean looks and sounds like he got hit in the head multiple times, and the other guys are just washed up scrubs in the hockey business. Kipper is the only one I don't mind but even he isn't that great.

vCash
    If it wasn't for Bob Mackenzie i wouldn't watch TSN at all really. Snet is way more entertaining during the intermissions. I don't really think they are great analysts but the put on a better show. Now that Jay and Dan are gone Sportscentre isn't good anymore.

We all know what Dreger is going to do. Make some vague rumour up that will be taken seriously because he's on TV and will always involve the Leafs because TSN isn't stupid and knows how to get more hits. And Dreger will continue to do this so he doesn't get shown up by real insiders like Bobby Mac and LeBrun.

Friedman, Weeks, LeBrun, MacKenzie, and Marek are the only guys that appear on TV regularly that i think really know what they are talking about.

Bring in Chris Cuthbert and Joe Bowen as the commentators, Weeks between the benches. Marek as host of the intermission with Lebrun, Freidman, and MacKenzie as insiders. If Rogers does that they will have the best hockey programming ever. And then if you really want a ratings grand-slam bring in Cherry with special host Brian Burke, so they can argue every second until one of them gets tired of talking.

But knowing Rogers they won't give a **** and keep bringing in Gene Simmons to talk about god-knows what. Seriously, why the hell has he been on HockeyCentral 3 times now? ****ing brutal

vCash
    Darren Dreger is fantastic so I don't understand the hatred there. I think Bob McKenzie actually re-signed with TSN after the deal was announced. MacLean is awful. Honestly, I was never big on Jay and Dan after a certain period (over-did it mostly) but TSN still puts on superior product.

I like Kevin Weekes. I liked him as a player. However, I'm not huge on him. Not really a fan. Of the former players, I'm big on Aaron Ward, Mike Johnson, and Michael Peca. These are guys that really understand the game. Hockey At Noon or whatever it's called on Sportsnet, to me, is garbage. I can sit there and watch these shows for long periods of time, but nothing on Sportsnet.

I don't watch too many Leafs games any longer so I haven't watched much hockey games on Sportsnet. Even when I do though, I think to myself, TSN puts on much better product. I like NBC Sports more than Sportsnet. I watch on Centre Ice (Red Wings fan) but when I choose to watch a game not on there, it's generally TSN or bust. I can't get into their anaylsts. Their product.

Pierre LeBrun is with ESPN and TSN obviously. Any word on if he can jump ship to Sportsnet in the near future or what?

vCash
    I don't know about Lebrun but i hope he's available to Snet.

I dislike Peca, Johnson, O'Niell, and Ward and all those other TSN guys because they don't seem like they know much and let their opinions get in the way of analyzing the actual game, something Kyper and MacLean are even worse at to be fair.

Peca calling Jaybo soft and not a top-tier defenseman some years ago is a prime example. He cited the fact that he played against Jaybo and said all these things without even watching him play and critiquing that. Even i knew Jaybo was still elite back in Calgary and i don't know that much about the "inside game" of hockey. And now Jaybo is probably having the best year for a defenseman, iirc i think you'd agree with me. Norris candidate maybe.

Ward tries to be an analyst and an insider all in one. I never get the sense he knows what he's talking about though. He's ripped Randy Carlyle for "sucking the life out of his players" again citing personal bias because he played under him without really hearing anything from players or giving example of Ducks-with Carlyle vs. Ducks-with Boudreau. I mean, this is where you look at systems and what's failing the team not bring up the fact that you sucked playing under him and were benched a few time. This is the same Randy Carlyle that reinvigorated the train-wreck that was Toronto-Beachimen, and is hailed as a great hockey coach. Again, letting personal bias get in the way of analysis imo.

O'Niell, omg all i hear from this guy is whining about how he didn't make as much money when he played the game. The only thing i agree with him on is the fact that NHL guys all play with heart and determination.

Johnson, imo, is either really nervous when on air or doesn't know what he wants to say half the time. The guy is always either talking faster than he can think or thinking slower than he can talk. IDK which, they are both the same thing essentially but the point is i don't know which body part is letting him down. He's kinda un-watchable for me, but i will give him credit for the fact he seems pretty unbiased on stuff. If he stuff was pre-recorded, edited and not live he'd be ok. Maybe even between the benches too where he can just say here and there what guys are saying to eachother.

Basically what i like are unbiased opinions by people who really know what their talking about, are able to communicate that, or at least have clear inside knowledge that others do not. Weeks is a rich mans Healy, former goalie that speaks with no bias and can really articulate what they see and/or think. The rest are obviously the cream of the crop Friedman, LeBrun, MacKenzie, and Marek are speak very clearly, and know the **** out of everything hockey. These guys are all guys i have a hard time calling BS on.

The rest of them i can pretty much call what their going to say, especially for the Leafs. Goaltending really bailed them out, shots on goal, defensive break downs... generic stuff. If the team is down 3-0 then they'll say how badly everyone is playing, but the team could be playing the exact same way and be up 3-0 and they'll applaud them for playing a sound game. Sportsnet seems to really be hanging on to this shots on goal stuff when it comes to the Leafs. For every 10 mentions of shots on goal they'll have MAYBE one mention of quality chances (the one that actually matters). But because they are actually funny and witty by yelling at one another and looking visibly pissed off i like that show better as entertainment. TSN guys just sit there spilling the same BS and i just sit patiently until MacKenzie or Lebrun have something to say... or pray for a sequel to that god-awful Hangover parody they did, now that was pretty entertaining.

I didn't know my feelings were so strong about this lol. I just hope that we get at least 1 broadcast team that isn't part garbage. What a waste it is having the great Joe Bowen with Greg Millen. I mean seriously, fire him and let Bowen go solo. Bowen will have a ****ing hilarious joke on air and then Millen will correct him... EVERY. ****ING. TIME. if the chance is there. AND he always steps on Henny's feet when he tries to talk. Brutal

vCash
    Oh and Dreger is (imo) a waste of Rogers money if they want him. Especially when LeBrun and MacKenzie are there/could be there. I always get the feeling that he's just making vague rumours up because LeBrun and Bobby Mac have legit stuff and he doesn't want to be shown up.

I mean the latest thing he's gotten serious flack for (at least from me) is that he clearly made up that "officials within the Philly organization wonder is Luke Schenn can still even play"

http://www.crossingbroad.com/wp-cont...Capture125.jpg

I mean what kind of BS is that. Sure Luke is having a rough go, but cmon a guy that's playing 15 minutes a night in the NHL can clearly play the game.

And then he clarifies by saying "of course Schenn can play, but youth is priority #1 for the Flyers"

http://www.crossingbroad.com/wp-cont...Capture126.jpg

What the actual ****?

And then theres this business about him being a Leafs puppet that Nonis/Burke used to get word out there. And the possibility of which that every available player in the NHL is going to be traded for Jake Gardiner according to him. I throw Jake Gardiner into a lot of trade proposals but Dreger is the king of that.

vCash
    geez did i forget Duthie, i love that guy. He can host intermission all day for me. The only real thing that TSn has over Snet or CBC is their "specials". Draft day (MacKenzie is a mock draft genius), Tradecentre, free agent frenzy, and All Star weekend but stuff like that is likely of limits for them starting next season.

Plus they stole the CBC hockey song, which is pretty unforgivable but that's on their bosses so i don't hold that against the hosts and analysts

vCash
    Don Cherry's the man.

vCash
    I cant stand Dregger. He acts like he should be the next guy in line for the commissioner job. Just looks like an ******* wearing 3 piece suits all the time rambling about stuff nobody cares about. TSN's panel over analyzes hockey so much its hard to watch. I mean an entire 2 or 3 hour program watching 6 guys pick fantasy teams is a little much. Craig Button is the worst, followed by johnson that garbage goalie and wardo. Duthie is ok and Mackenzie atleast serves a purpose.

Hockey central at noon is the best show because of the guests they get on and the reason they get guests is because Maclean is a "hockey guy" he actually has a clue what hes talking about unlike any TSN expert.

Sportsnet connected is horrible. The people "reading" the hilights mispronounce a name every 5 minutes.

vCash
    IT's a disgrace that Bob Cole doesn't call every Leaf game, the man is a living legend, i just don't get it. Sure he screws up from time to time but Hughson obsession with the Sedin's and the Canucks is embarrassing. The Leafs will be playing the Habs and he will just start talking about the Sedins. Its so annoying

"A friend in need is a friend to avoid"

vCash
    I ****ing hate Hughson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Eat Lobster

vCash
    I remember the 98 Olympics when Linden tied the game with a few seconds left I don't think I have ever heard anyone get that excited. I have been looking for that clip for a long time and can't find it. If anyone knows where I can find it please let me know. Bob Cole is a legend.

"A friend in need is a friend to avoid"

vCash
    Bob Cole's the voice most of us grew up with. There's nothing better than a Bob Cole "Ohhh baby!" Best I've ever heard call a game. Hughson has **** on Bobby.

vCash
    You almost forget just how bad Hughson is until you get Bob Cole back.. Now we're all going to be disappointed for another few months until we get him again. Last year I still remember "The playoffs are coming up Toronto... The playoffs... are coming up." You can just tell the guy loves his Leafs unlike Hughson who like Boiler said has some weird obsession with the Sedins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast