Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Atv

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    274
    vCash
    1500

    Atv

    By this time, everyone is fully aware of Alterraun Verners impending free agency but what is a deal you are comfortable with? Clearly he is one of the best young corners in the game and should only get better but at what point do you count my losses contract wise? What type of deal would be best?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,601
    vCash
    1500
    Personally, I prefer Polaris.
    Chicago Cubs: #4 pick, Prospect Watching
    Tennessee Titans: 7-9, #11 Pick/Bring on the "Whis" Kid
    Utah Jazz: 12-26, We're getting dangerously close to being decent

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,426
    vCash
    1500
    I'm really hoping it's around 6-7 mil per. Anything 8+ is a little crazy. But I fear it may go that way.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    274
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KnocOnYoBloc View Post
    I'm really hoping it's around 6-7 mil per. Anything 8+ is a little crazy. But I fear it may go that way.
    I think 7-8 is do able but anything more we should slap him with the franchise tag.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,426
    vCash
    1500
    Won't the franchise tag pay him something ridiculously high anyway?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Your moms house
    Posts
    2,479
    vCash
    1500
    CB: Franchise: $10.668 Transition: $8.939

    Thats the price if we slap him with a franchise tag for 2013


    Philadelphia 76ers 2000-2001 Sim League Champion

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    274
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KnocOnYoBloc View Post
    Won't the franchise tag pay him something ridiculously high anyway?
    Yes but not for the length of a big contract. Applying the franchise tag could prove to be a roll of the dice as Verner could continue to progress therefore putting us into an even tougher spot to retain him or could bottom out and we pay him 10 million regardless. Personally I think it's a good gamble to use the tag and see if it was performance solely based on a contract year or true progression.

    Quote Originally Posted by killthesux View Post
    CB: Franchise: $10.668 Transition: $8.939

    Thats the price if we slap him with a franchise tag for 2013
    Like I said, 10.6 mill is a lot for a corner but with the new regime in place I don't know that they are all sold on ATV producing at the level he did this past season. Who knows if Verner has arrived and will continue to play at this level or if he solely did it because it was a contract year. I obviously can't say either way. But what I can say is the franchise tag would provide the team with a longer look and more of a sample to base their contract offer on. It's a very serious roll of the dice but one I think it's best for us right now. Verner has displayed shut down ability but I'd like to see it in back to back seasons before I committe 5 year, 50 million dollar caliber deal on him.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    636
    vCash
    1500
    6-7mil seems just about right to me.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Conroe, TX
    Posts
    21,999
    vCash
    2502
    It depends on if we're talking base salary, guaranteed money or both, and I think you have to consider a few things. First off, Darrelle Revis just got a 6-year, $96 million contract, which easily makes him the highest paid defensive back in the NFL. However, from my understanding, the deal did not contain any guaranteed money. The other contract to consider is Jason McCourty's. Less than two years ago, he essentially got 5-years for $43 million with $20 million of it guaranteed. However, his base salary right now is only $5 million, because much of the guaranteed money was in bonuses.

    Based on those two contracts, I've got to think Verner is somewhere in between. I don't think I'm the only person here who thinks he's a superior player to McCourty. I'd even go a step further and say he may be the best overall player on the team. To not pay him more than McCourty would be an insult to Verner, but I also don't think he's worth Revis' ridiculous contract either.

    I could see signing something like 5 years, $50-55 million with $20-25 million of it coming in guaranteed money. The Titans could also slap a franchise tag on him, essentially paying him $10 million a season next year anyway, but I think that would be a mistake. For one, you're giving him a chance to walk after next season, and players usually aren't too happy with getting hit by the franchise tag. Also, they're essentially delaying the inevitable. If you don't pay him now and you tag him, you'll essentially end up paying him something close to 6 years, $60 million including the franchise tag, and he's not going to be the same player at the end of his contract as he is today.

    The Titans have a history of not paying guys who deserve to get paid. They let Finnegan walk years ago just to turn around and pay Griffin and McCourty big contracts they didn't deserve. In this case, if I were the Titans' front office, I would bite the bullet and pay the man now. He's easily the best defensive back on the team, he's played great for at least two full seasons now, and he's only 25 years old. You're not going to get a better corner on the open market or in the draft, and letting him go could end up being disastrous.


    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Lakers will make the playoffs this year and my bold prediction is they finish higher than the Rockets.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdymez View Post
    And Lebron puts up great numbers, your right. Debate over. You win. Lebron is the greatest

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    274
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    It depends on if we're talking base salary, guaranteed money or both, and I think you have to consider a few things. First off, Darrelle Revis just got a 6-year, $96 million contract, which easily makes him the highest paid defensive back in the NFL. However, from my understanding, the deal did not contain any guaranteed money. The other contract to consider is Jason McCourty's. Less than two years ago, he essentially got 5-years for $43 million with $20 million of it guaranteed. However, his base salary right now is only $5 million, because much of the guaranteed money was in bonuses.

    Based on those two contracts, I've got to think Verner is somewhere in between. I don't think I'm the only person here who thinks he's a superior player to McCourty. I'd even go a step further and say he may be the best overall player on the team. To not pay him more than McCourty would be an insult to Verner, but I also don't think he's worth Revis' ridiculous contract either.

    I could see signing something like 5 years, $50-55 million with $20-25 million of it coming in guaranteed money. The Titans could also slap a franchise tag on him, essentially paying him $10 million a season next year anyway, but I think that would be a mistake. For one, you're giving him a chance to walk after next season, and players usually aren't too happy with getting hit by the franchise tag. Also, they're essentially delaying the inevitable. If you don't pay him now and you tag him, you'll essentially end up paying him something close to 6 years, $60 million including the franchise tag, and he's not going to be the same player at the end of his contract as he is today.

    The Titans have a history of not paying guys who deserve to get paid. They let Finnegan walk years ago just to turn around and pay Griffin and McCourty big contracts they didn't deserve. In this case, if I were the Titans' front office, I would bite the bullet and pay the man now. He's easily the best defensive back on the team, he's played great for at least two full seasons now, and he's only 25 years old. You're not going to get a better corner on the open market or in the draft, and letting him go could end up being disastrous.
    First, no one will argue letting Finn walk, especially after seeing the epic decline he has displayed since leaving Tennessee. Secondly, I also think we can all admit both Griffin and McCourty are superior players to Finn today. Third, Verner just entered the conversation of "shut down corner" this past season, he has not been playing at that level long. Verner could very well have finally hit the "revis island" caliber player but simply put, I can't put a whole lot of stock into it considering it was a contract year. Right or wrong we have seen time after time players "ball out" in a contract year only to come crashing back after cashing in. I am not accusing Verner of such actions but you would be foolish to write that possibility off. Perhaps the new regime will pay him big money, maybe they don't. Regardless the decision they make, I would be shocked to see Verner not back next season, even if only under the franchise tag. Verner is an electric young playmaker but I would be far more comfortable paying him 50+million dollars if he could pair back to back elite seasons.
    Last edited by WVA_Titan; 01-27-2014 at 02:55 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Conroe, TX
    Posts
    21,999
    vCash
    2502
    Quote Originally Posted by WVA_Titan View Post
    First, no one will argue letting Finn walk, especially after seeing the epic decline he has displayed since leaving Tennessee. Secondly, I also think we can all admit both Griffin and McCourty are superior players to Finn today.
    But at the time, it seemed like a foolish move on the Titans part. And I still think they gave both players far too much money, especially in Griffin's case.

    Third, Verner just entered the conversation of "shut down corner" this past season, he has not been playing at that level long. Verner could very well have finally hit the "revis island" caliber player but simply put, I can't put a whole lot of stock into it considering it was a contract year. Right or wrong we have seen time after time players "ball out" in a contract year only to come crashing back after cashing in. I am not accusing Verner of such actions but you would be foolish to write that possibility off.
    Verner has finally started getting credit this season, but this was hardly his first productive year. Many people (myself included) thought Verner was by far the best Titans' defensive back in the 2012 season as well. Go back and look at my posts from last offseason when I said the Titans really needed to consider what they were going to do with Verner, because he was he most crucial player to their secondary. The guy has been a Pro Football Focus favorite for more than two years, but he only started getting some mainstream attention after this season.

    So, no, I'm not concerned about the guy only performing well in a contract year, because I think he's been a top 10-15 caliber corner in this league for two seasons now.

    Perhaps the new regime will pay him big money, maybe they don't. Regardless the decision they make, I would be shocked to see Verner not back next season, even if only under the franchise tag. Verner is an electric young playmaker but I would be far more comfortable paying him 50+million dollars if he could pair back to back elite seasons.
    I don't think anyone's debating that Verner will be back again next year. With the franchise tag in their back pocket, it's practically a foregone conclusion. What I disagree with is this idea that they SHOULD franchise him to prove it wasn't a fluke. As previously stated, the dude has been the team's best defensive back for two seasons now, and I don't think he has to prove anything.

    However, you also state that guys can "ball out" for a contract season. If you're concerned by that, wouldn't you also be concerned about him doing it again this year while under the franchise tag? It makes far more sense to me that the Titans sign him now while they still can. If they sign him now, they'll be paying him probably $50 million over 5 years rather than essentially $60 million over 6. Also, consider his value right now after one "supposed" great season in the league. If he repeats that again in 2014, he's going to get an ever BIGGER contract, and it will be even harder to re-sign him.

    The Titans can get him right now for probably $8-10 million per season. But if they wait a year, that number could creep up to 11, 12 or even 13 million a season. I don't take that chance if I'm the Titans' front office.


    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Lakers will make the playoffs this year and my bold prediction is they finish higher than the Rockets.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdymez View Post
    And Lebron puts up great numbers, your right. Debate over. You win. Lebron is the greatest

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Low Budgetville, NY
    Posts
    1,431
    vCash
    1500
    I think the whole ATV situation will be very telling about whether or not things are changing in the front office. If they just let him walk, or make him a low-ball offer, then things haven't really changed. If they at least make a reasonable offer and show interest in keeping him around (even if he refuses it), then I think things have finally started moving towards players that deserve it getting paid.

    The only other factor is whether or not the coaching staff thinks he won't fit in a new system, but I don't see why he wouldn't.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,426
    vCash
    1500
    J-Mac & Griffin > Finny this season though lol.

    May have seemed foolish at the time but it was the right move.

    J-Mac is a very good corner also. Atv has better ball hawk skills, makes him stand out more. But I think J-Mac is a very good cover corner himself. I think ATV deserves J-Mac $, maybe a little more.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Conroe, TX
    Posts
    21,999
    vCash
    2502
    Quote Originally Posted by KnocOnYoBloc View Post
    J-Mac & Griffin > Finny this season though lol.

    May have seemed foolish at the time but it was the right move.

    J-Mac is a very good corner also. Atv has better ball hawk skills, makes him stand out more. But I think J-Mac is a very good cover corner himself. I think ATV deserves J-Mac $, maybe a little more.
    I think McCourty's a little better in press coverage, because he's bigger and can be more physical. But I still take Verner as a cover corner in most defensive coverage schemes, because he's just better at blanketing receivers and making a play on the ball.


    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Lakers will make the playoffs this year and my bold prediction is they finish higher than the Rockets.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdymez View Post
    And Lebron puts up great numbers, your right. Debate over. You win. Lebron is the greatest

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,426
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I think McCourty's a little better in press coverage, because he's bigger and can be more physical. But I still take Verner as a cover corner in most defensive coverage schemes, because he's just better at blanketing receivers and making a play on the ball.
    ATV definitely makes more plays on the ball

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •