Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Yankees Thinking About Signing Stephen Drew

I personally think it's a waste of time and money to sign Stephen Drew. He's a lifetime .260 hitter with little power, run production and even less speed. Not to mention that he's going to be 31 years old in March.

So my question is, why do many people make a big issue of Stephen Drew? It's not like he's the second coming of the Messiah!

Your thoughts.

I apologize if there's already a thread regarding Stephen Drew.

vCash
    Im pretty sure people would rather have Stephen Drew be the next full time Shortstop over Nunez once Jeter calls it quits, and even while we wait for Jeter to retire he can play either 3rd or 2nd base, and play short when Jeter needs his DH days
    Philadelphia 76ers 2000-2001 Sim League Champion

vCash
    No

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    Please no
    NYY,NYR,NYG,NYK

vCash
    Need a link stating the Yanks are interested..
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    Need a link stating the Yanks are interested..
    There are plenty. Google it

I meese you Seņor Rodriguez

vCash
    I'd pass. I'm not saving the Red Sox from overpaying and giving them another draft pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerminator View Post
    I personally think it's a waste of time and money to sign Stephen Drew. He's a lifetime .260 hitter with little power, run production and even less speed. Not to mention that he's going to be 31 years old in March.

So my question is, why do many people make a big issue of Stephen Drew? It's not like he's the second coming of the Messiah!

Your thoughts.

I apologize if there's already a thread regarding Stephen Drew.
    Drew isn't a great player and certainly has his warts, but some of your statements are inaccurate.

1) He's a .260 hitter - that doesn't tell us much about Drew's offensive ability. Yes, he's not a great contact hitter, but he has an above average walk rate (8.9% for his career, 10.8% last season) so he combines average-ish contact skills with above average plate discipline/walks combining for above average on-base skills. The batting average alone doesn't tell you how often he gets on base and you can't score runs if your not on base. Drew gets on base at a pretty decent clip.

2) With little power - Since Drew's rookie year, 2006, Drew's rookie year, he has posted a .171 ISO which is good for 6th among MLB shortstops over that time period. Over that time period, only two shortstops have posted ISO's over .200 - Troy Tulowitzki and Hanley Ramirez - and the third place guy is Carlos Gullien at .179. Shortstop isn't a huge power position to begin with, and .171 ISO is pretty good regardless of the position. Last season it was even better at .190, and as a left handed hitter he could probably benefit from the short porch in RF. Power is about more than just HR's, though Drew has a 21 HR season on his resume in 2008 with Arizona. He also has several years of high level doubles production - five years of 28+ doubles including a high of 44 - and high triples production with three seasons of double digit triples. Is he going to hit 35 HRs, no, but there's more to power than just HRs.

3) And even less speed - Drew isn't a base stealer. He only has one season of double digit SBs, and only 40 SB's in his career. That being said, I'll point again to his triples numbers, which show a guy who has decent functional speed on the bases. He's an average-ish base runner overall. Speed isn't really an asset to his game, but it's not a major weakness either.

4) Defense - I know you didn't bring this up, but.. Drew is a pretty good defensive shortstop. After struggling with the glove a bit his first 3 seasons Drew has put up positive UZR numbers in 4 out of the last 5 seasons, averaging 8 to 15 runs above average during that time. If signed he wouldn't be a primary shortstop (unless something were to happen to Jeter) and thus would play an easier defensive position, likely second base, where theoretically his defense should be even better.

There are downsides with Drew. The biggest being that he has had injury and consistency issues. These concerns are valid and should not be dismissed out of hand. But it's also important to consider what he is and compare that to what we currently have. In seasons in which Drew has played more than 100 games he's averaged 2.2 WAR per season. He posted 3.4 WAR last season. These are not star level numbers, but they are numbers that represent an above average player. Currently our infield has Roberts who hasn't played more than 80 games in a year since 2009 and has been a below average performer in that time, Jeter who played 17 games last season and will be 40 in June, and Johnson who I like but is no star himself. Brendan Ryan is an excellent defender, but his bat will be exposed if forced into regular action. We have no serviceable backup for Roberts and/or Johnson. Seriously, if (or should I say when) Roberts hits the DL do you feel comfortable seeing Dean Anna and/or Eduardo Nunez getting regular playing time. Hell, Nunez has trouble staying healthy himself. And who plays short beyond 2014 assuming Jeter is healthy this year? Jeter could possibly be back, but how much does he have left? No one knows. Our best SS prospect is Avellino who's an 18 year old in A ball so he's not exactly beating down the door of the majors.

And honestly, who's left on the market with regard to infielders? Aside from Drew, there's no one that has the potential to be a competent regular. I'm not saying sign Drew at all costs, nor am I saying make a long term commitment to him. But a two year deal at $20-24M would be reasonable. I'd even consider throwing in a reasonable team option since the short stop situation is so up in the air beyond this year.

vCash
    Unless there's been something new that's broke in the last 24 hours, I don't see where the Yankees have ever had a lot of interest in Drew. Rosenthal from his twitter this morning:

Drew would fit well with #Yankees, but sources say team essentially has reached spending limit. That could change, but more likely move would be an exchange of salaries in a trade - say, Ichiro ($6.5M) for a comparably priced reliever. Drew remains logical target for #Mets.
    Last edited by theslick1; 01-24-2014 at 11:38 AM.
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

BA: .308 HR: NONE! RBI: 10 SB: 4 AGE: 40

vCash
    Fk no

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skierdude44 View Post
    Drew isn't a great player and certainly has his warts, but some of your statements are inaccurate.

1) He's a .260 hitter - that doesn't tell us much about Drew's offensive ability. Yes, he's not a great contact hitter, but he has an above average walk rate (8.9% for his career, 10.8% last season) so he combines average-ish contact skills with above average plate discipline/walks combining for above average on-base skills. The batting average alone doesn't tell you how often he gets on base and you can't score runs if your not on base. Drew gets on base at a pretty decent clip.

2) With little power - Since Drew's rookie year, 2006, Drew's rookie year, he has posted a .171 ISO which is good for 6th among MLB shortstops over that time period. Over that time period, only two shortstops have posted ISO's over .200 - Troy Tulowitzki and Hanley Ramirez - and the third place guy is Carlos Gullien at .179. Shortstop isn't a huge power position to begin with, and .171 ISO is pretty good regardless of the position. Last season it was even better at .190, and as a left handed hitter he could probably benefit from the short porch in RF. Power is about more than just HR's, though Drew has a 21 HR season on his resume in 2008 with Arizona. He also has several years of high level doubles production - five years of 28+ doubles including a high of 44 - and high triples production with three seasons of double digit triples. Is he going to hit 35 HRs, no, but there's more to power than just HRs.

3) And even less speed - Drew isn't a base stealer. He only has one season of double digit SBs, and only 40 SB's in his career. That being said, I'll point again to his triples numbers, which show a guy who has decent functional speed on the bases. He's an average-ish base runner overall. Speed isn't really an asset to his game, but it's not a major weakness either.

4) Defense - I know you didn't bring this up, but.. Drew is a pretty good defensive shortstop. After struggling with the glove a bit his first 3 seasons Drew has put up positive UZR numbers in 4 out of the last 5 seasons, averaging 8 to 15 runs above average during that time. If signed he wouldn't be a primary shortstop (unless something were to happen to Jeter) and thus would play an easier defensive position, likely second base, where theoretically his defense should be even better.

There are downsides with Drew. The biggest being that he has had injury and consistency issues. These concerns are valid and should not be dismissed out of hand. But it's also important to consider what he is and compare that to what we currently have. In seasons in which Drew has played more than 100 games he's averaged 2.2 WAR per season. He posted 3.4 WAR last season. These are not star level numbers, but they are numbers that represent an above average player. Currently our infield has Roberts who hasn't played more than 80 games in a year since 2009 and has been a below average performer in that time, Jeter who played 17 games last season and will be 40 in June, and Johnson who I like but is no star himself. Brendan Ryan is an excellent defender, but his bat will be exposed if forced into regular action. We have no serviceable backup for Roberts and/or Johnson. Seriously, if (or should I say when) Roberts hits the DL do you feel comfortable seeing Dean Anna and/or Eduardo Nunez getting regular playing time. Hell, Nunez has trouble staying healthy himself. And who plays short beyond 2014 assuming Jeter is healthy this year? Jeter could possibly be back, but how much does he have left? No one knows. Our best SS prospect is Avellino who's an 18 year old in A ball so he's not exactly beating down the door of the majors.

And honestly, who's left on the market with regard to infielders? Aside from Drew, there's no one that has the potential to be a competent regular. I'm not saying sign Drew at all costs, nor am I saying make a long term commitment to him. But a two year deal at $20-24M would be reasonable. I'd even consider throwing in a reasonable team option since the short stop situation is so up in the air beyond this year.
    I rather get Michael Young for a one year deal than to get stuck with Drew. His only good year was with ARI in 2008, after that, he had two years that were nothing to write about and then he went further south after that. Not to mention what you mentioned and that he's injured prone, he hasn't played a full season in the past three years.

You mentioned OBP, yes he walks but what good is his OBP if he's going to hit .250 or below like he has in the past three seasons. Walks are good as long as he has a decent AVG, which he doesn't.

Power, correct, it's not about just HR's but when you don't have much else then at least have some HR power. As for doubles, most full time players get roughly 25 or more doubles in a season so he hitting doubles is nothing special.

Speed, once again it falls on the "don't have much" category, if he had some speed then you can say "hey, at least he has speed" but he doesn't.

Defense, that's the one thing that he does have but he had to work on it. It's possible that if Nunez works on it that he to can be a decent fielder, maybe not a gold glover but he doesn't need to be one.

The Yankees never traded Nunez because they saw a lot of potential in him so I say give him a chance to play full time. Yes, he's gotten hurt but we truly don't know how good he can be if not given the time. He has more power, speed and can probably have a better AVG than Drew.

vCash
    The Yankees never traded Nunez because they saw a lot of potential in him so I say give him a chance to play full time. Yes, he's gotten hurt but we truly don't know how good he can be if not given the time. He has more power, speed and can probably have a better AVG than Drew.
    There is no evidence of Nunez being anything other than a poor man's version of Willie Bloomquist. He has no business being on a major league roster, at least not ours.
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

BA: .308 HR: NONE! RBI: 10 SB: 4 AGE: 40

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    There is no evidence of Nunez being anything other than a poor man's version of Willie Bloomquist. He has no business being on a major league roster, at least not ours.
    He has a glove and gap power though

I meese you Seņor Rodriguez

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    How do you know that if not given the chance to play full time. At least Bloomquist was given that opportunity, Nunez hasn't. Once again, many teams wanted to get Nunez via trade and the Yankees always turned it down so their scouts must see something that we haven't gotten a chance to.

If you're so good a judging talent than you should become a scout yourself and make the money that you're currently not making!

vCash
    How do you know that if not given the chance to play full time. At least Bloomquist was given that opportunity, Nunez hasn't. Once again, many teams wanted to get Nunez via trade and the Yankees always turned it down so their scouts must see something that we haven't gotten a chance to.

If you're so good a judging talent than you should become a scout yourself and make the money that you're currently not making!
    Nunez has appeared in 270 with over 800 plate appearances. If this guy were any good, he would have been able to actually hold down a spot last season on a team decimated with injuries. He's had multiple chances and loses playing time because he's terrible. He can't hit or field.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast