Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

NY Mets' Matt Harvey hoping to return in September 2014-5 to 7 starts

NY Mets' Matt Harvey hoping to return in September 2014

After watching the Yankees pile up high-priced free agent after high-priced free agent, Mets fans finally got some good news.

Star pitcher Matt Harvey, who is recovering from Tommy John surgery, said he is excited by his progress and hopes to pitch in September, according to MLB.com.

"I'd like (to return) right now," said Harvey at the Boston Baseball Writers Dinner where he was honored as New England Player of the Year. "That's not possible. I'd like to shoot for being out there in September. Obviously I don't make those decisions. I can only prepare to the best of my ability and make sure I'm in good strength and flexibility, and when they do let me go, I'm good to go."

Harvey, who was having a brilliant season with Mets in 2013, going 9-5 with 2.26 ERA in 26 starts while also making All-Star start before being shut down, said he will be at spring training.

"I think so. I really haven't talked to [general manager] Sandy [Alderson] or [chief operating officer] Jeff [Wilpon] or anybody quite yet, but that's what I plan on doing," Harvey said. "Getting down there while throwing time is approaching is probably a good decision."
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz2rJuB7kjt

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Why do they have to do this to us???? Forget it.....please

vCash
    I love the fact that Harvey just seems to love playing baseball. In today's business saturated sports world, I rarely get the sense that people are out there out of pure love for the game. I'm sure that some will criticize his bravado, but I just think that the kid loves to play baseball and is eager to get out there and play the game he loves. Its like Ernie Banks recovering from Tommy John

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Regardless of where the Mets might be in September, do not let Harvey pitch. That would be rushing things. Let him come back naturally in 2015. But you know the Mets, big money guys. They do all for the bottom line of Sterling Enterprises (not the New York Metropolitan Baseball Club).

vCash
    I'm sure he'd pitch tomorrow if the team asked him to.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    I wish his TJ was done earlier so this was possible. Just to get his feet wet before 2015.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I wish his TJ was done earlier so this was possible. Just to get his feet wet before 2015.

To be fair they were trying to figure out a way to avoid it. I think halladay skipped TJS and told harvey so. They still did it early enough to be fine for the 2015 season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    Regardless of where the Mets might be in September, do not let Harvey pitch. That would be rushing things. Let him come back naturally in 2015. But you know the Mets, big money guys. They do all for the bottom line of Sterling Enterprises (not the New York Metropolitan Baseball Club).
    If the Doctors feel he is ready, then why not.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    He will comeback in Game 1 of the WS against the Yankees and pitch a perfect game.

The Future

vCash
    He's not coming back this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    I love the fact that Harvey just seems to love playing baseball. In today's business saturated sports world, I rarely get the sense that people are out there out of pure love for the game. I'm sure that some will criticize his bravado, but I just think that the kid loves to play baseball and is eager to get out there and play the game he loves. Its like Ernie Banks recovering from Tommy John
    I get this and understand it, but no need to rush

vCash
    its a moot point because the mets will be long out of the race by then

let him get healthy for 2015 when alderson is hopefully fired and a real team is around him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by utl768 View Post
    its a moot point because the mets will be long out of the race by then

let him get healthy for 2015 when alderson is hopefully fired and a real team is around him
    Good point.

We're about a 70 win team. There is zero point in rushing back Harvey for meaningless games in September, risking him getting hurt. I'm more worrying about 2015.

2015 could see a health Harvey, Syndergaard, Wheeler, Gee, and Niese (I personally don't think Bartolo Colon will make it past this year...). Hell, we may even see either Gee or Niese knocked out of the rotation for Montero. A healthy Harvey makes that a beast rotation, and all we would really need is a bullpen arm or two, and one more bat in order to make a legit 4-6 year run at winning titles (notice how I used the work title in the plural sense).

That can all be blown if we risk Harvey getting hurt in meaningless games. If the Mets are out of it in September, and they rush Harvey back, PLEASE boycott the game. Don't buy the tickets, and don't watch the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    Good point.

We're about a 70 win team. There is zero point in rushing back Harvey for meaningless games in September, risking him getting hurt. I'm more worrying about 2015.

2015 could see a health Harvey, Syndergaard, Wheeler, Gee, and Niese (I personally don't think Bartolo Colon will make it past this year...). Hell, we may even see either Gee or Niese knocked out of the rotation for Montero. A healthy Harvey makes that a beast rotation, and all we would really need is a bullpen arm or two, and one more bat in order to make a legit 4-6 year run at winning titles (notice how I used the work title in the plural sense).

That can all be blown if we risk Harvey getting hurt in meaningless games. If the Mets are out of it in September, and they rush Harvey back, PLEASE boycott the game. Don't buy the tickets, and don't watch the game.
    So this team is worse than last year's team?

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    So this team is worse than last year's team?
    We had a team last year?

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast