Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Alex Van Pelt will be the new QB coach

GREEN BAY Ė Alex Van Pelt isnít going anywhere Ė except down the hall to a different Lambeau Field meeting room.

After two years as the Green Bay Packersí running backs coach, Van Pelt will serve as teamís new quarterbacks coach, an NFL source confirmed Thursday evening. The move was first reported by CBS Sportsí Jason LaCanfora.

The move made sense from the moment ex-quarterbacks coach Ben McAdoo, now the New York Giants' offensive coordinator, began drawing interest around the NFL.

Van Pelt, who spent nine NFL seasons as a backup quarterback for the Buffalo Bills and played the position at the University of Pittsburgh when Packers coach Mike McCarthy was working there, coached the Billsí quarterbacks from 2006 through 2009 and the Tampa Bay Buccaneersí quarterbacks in 2010 and 2011.

The Packers did not officially announce the move. Neither Van Pelt nor McCarthy was available for comment Thursday night. Presumably, McCarthy will wait to make any staff announcements until the entire staff is completed, considering he must now replace his running backs coach and also hire an outside linebackers coach after Kevin Greene stepped away from coaching last week, citing a desire to spend more time with his family.

Van Peltís move comes after new Cleveland Browns coach Mike Pettine had reportedly expressed an interest in having Van Pelt be his offensive coordinator. Pettine was officially hired by the Browns on Thursday afternoon, so it seems unlikely that the Browns would have asked the Packers permission to interview Van Pelt before the news broke that Van Pelt was shifting to quarterbacks coach.

Van Pelt becomes the Packersí third quarterbacks coach under McCarthy, following Tom Clements (2006 through 2011) and Ben McAdoo (2012, 2013). McAdoo left earlier this month to take the Giants job.

Even though itís not official, Van Peltís move should go over well with starting quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who has a strong rapport with Van Pelt. His experience coaching quarterbacks should also bode well for No. 3 quarterback Scott Tolzien, who is under contract for 2014, and backup Matt Flynn, who is an unrestricted free agent but has expressed an interest in coming back after leading the team to a pair of victories and a tie while Rodgers was sidelined with a broken collarbone.

ďI think Iím getting to the point of my career where I need someone who can continue to give me the things I need during the week as far as preparation. Make sure they stay on me as far as fundamentals,Ē Rodgers said on the Jan. 7 edition of The Aaron Rodgers Show on 540 ESPN and ESPNWisconsin.com. ďI think itís more of a tandem cooperation between the quarterbacks coach and myself helping out the young guys. Thatís kind of my legacy as a teammate is helping out the young players.

ďI know Tom was instrumental in my development. Ben helped me out a lot, as well, and wanted to help the young players out. He did a great job with Scott this year. As a quarterback coach, I think you really want to develop young talent and if you have a talented guy like myself now being my 10th season next year, I think itís more about getting that guy ready to play and getting him all the necessary looks and preparation and conversation that I need before game day.Ē

Tags: Alex Van Pelt
    http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/...&post_id=34531

vCash
    At least we have more than one position coach on offense that makes sense

I REALLY like the idea of getting an actual RB in their to coach the backs now. We have too many young developing guys to have a QB doing it.

vCash
    Edgar Bennet used to be the RB coach correct ? I think he moved to WR coach a few seasons ago. I could be behind though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlinkManJan02 View Post
    Edgar Bennet used to be the RB coach correct ? I think he moved to WR coach a few seasons ago. I could be behind though.
    No you're correct.

vCash
    Aahman green was the assistant running back coach last year right? It wouldn't surprise me that much if he was promoted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tram0n man View Post
    Aahman green was the assistant running back coach last year right? It wouldn't surprise me that much if he was promoted
    Nice!! I was going to say bring Ahman,\ but I was waiting for someone else to bring it up hahha. I didn't know he was an assistant. He needs a ring as a coach, too bad we didn't make it there during his playing era in GB. I think he'd be great with our young RB's.

and thanks for confirming that norm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlinkManJan02 View Post
    Nice!! I was going to say bring Ahman,\ but I was waiting for someone else to bring it up hahha. I didn't know he was an assistant. He needs a ring as a coach, too bad we didn't make it there during his playing era in GB. I think he'd be great with our young RB's.

and thanks for confirming that norm
    I'm not sure I just remembered him being introduced at family night as something. Either he was assistant running back coach, or like interning as a running back assistant or something random like that.

vCash
    Maybe Lacy can give Green some coaching tips on how to carry the football.

vCash
    IDK if Ahman would be a great fit he was always very soft spoken as a player. I don't see him being a real great go getter coach. I could be wrong though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rckdude1 View Post
    IDK if Ahman would be a great fit he was always very soft spoken as a player. I don't see him being a real great go getter coach. I could be wrong though.
    You want someone stern and is a perfectionist on the fundamentals (getting to the next level, reading blocks, etc and not so focused on agility moves, etc). Someone more looser would hurt Lacy's future development.

vCash
    Who. Cares.

This isn't The Biggest Loser. These are NFL players. Just teach them the fundamentals for this level and keep them in check. That's it.

vCash
    How loud someone talks or yells does NOT determine whether he will be a good coach or not.

vCash
    I'm not sure I just remembered him being introduced at family night as something. Either he was assistant running back coach, or like interning as a running back assistant or something random like that.
    he was just a special assistant. it was just something for training camp kind of like during spring training baseball teams bring in former players and that as "special instructors"
    HaHa Clinton-Dix

Solo Tackles: 3
    Assist Tackles: 3
    Sacks: 1
    Pass Deflects: 1
    Ints:
    TDs:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 12to85 View Post
    Maybe Lacy can give Green some coaching tips on how to carry the football.
    lolol

vCash
    How loud someone talks or yells does NOT determine whether he will be a good coach or not.
    We need the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket.

GOD DAMMIT EDDIE. YOU RUN THE BALL LIKE OLD PEOPLE ****!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast