Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Update: Lester extension talks stall

Boston Red Sox ‏redsox 1h
    .@jlester31 media session before tonights Writers Dinner. "I want to stay here. I've grown up in this organization." pic.twitter.com/WM6f1wIP4d

Boston Red Sox ‏redsox 1h
    Lester: "Since we left Boston all my son's talked about is going home to Boston. This is our home. This is what I've known.

Sean McAdam ‏@sean_McAdam 1h
    Lester on contract extension: "They know I don't want to go anywhere & hopefully we can sit down in spring training & iron some stuff out."

Brian MacPherson ‏@brianmacp 56m
    Lester isn't using Kershaw as a bar in any way: "That one in itself is off on its own."

Scott Lauber ‏@scottlauber 43m
    Lester on staying with #RedSox: "These guys are my No. 1 priority. I want to be here until they have to rip this jersey off my back.

Sean McAdam ‏@sean_McAdam 44m
    Lester acknowledged extension will mean leaving some $ on table, but added: "You don't want to be the guy that makes that market come down.'

Gordon Edes ‏@gordonedes 37m
    Lester says he not only expects he will have to take a discount to stay, he's willing to do so''

Scott Lauber ‏@scottlauber 37m
    Lester: "I want to win. If it means taking a Pedroia deal where you stay for less money to be happy and win every year, let's do it" #RedSox

Scott Lauber ‏@scottlauber 28m
    More from Lester on possible extension: "I understand you're going to take a discount to stay. Do I want to do that? Absolutely." #RedSox

vCash
    Hopefully this gets something done quickly. Could be awesome news if we get him for under 20M

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    Lester is awesome glad pedey set the example and lester is backing him with it. Great players taking less is huge able to spread the wealth to keep winning.

vCash
    I'd have to see Lester pitch some more first. He's been so inconsistent the last three years that I'd want to make sure we were getting 2013 second half Lester and not September 2011-June 2013 Lester.

vCash
    He's going to make a ton whether it's a discount or not. Giving any pitcher as much as he will get makes me nervous, but I would be shocked if something isn't done during spring training/early April.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walligans View Post
    I'd have to see Lester pitch some more first. He's been so inconsistent the last three years that I'd want to make sure we were getting 2013 second half Lester and not September 2011-June 2013 Lester.
    Pretty sure that was just a bad stretch for him caused by locker room plagues. When you really look at his statistics, the end of 2011 and all of 2012 is an outlier. Even if he does post close to a 4 ERA, he's going to give you 200+ innings, an ERA+ of around 120, and he has a very clear track record of being dominant in the post-season. Not extending him would be a huge mistake. There's nothing more to see -- everyone knows what he is.
    Last edited by BostonBoy; 01-23-2014 at 09:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walligans:27857011
    Tbh I'm through hearing about Lester being inconsistent. He battled his way through cancer, and during that time he had remarkable stretches including one no-no. Now that he's with Farrell again i see him being better than the 3 years of "inconsistency" he battled through while the organization was going through some FO issues. I'm not saying he'll be a top 5 SP, but he's our best bet at the top of the rotation going forward.

vCash
    I'm not willing to ignore 2011 and 2012 because of team chemistry issues. Even when Lester pitched well down the stretch last year, he had unsustainable home run rates.

vCash
    6 years, $100-110 mill would be great team deal for him to take.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walligans View Post
    Lester did poorly with Salty (see dozens of prior posts for citations). Salty is gone. Lester had I believe four different pitching coaches in four years. Did fine with the first and fourth. The first is his Manager, the fourth is his returning coach.

Going into the season to watch a pitcher who had a fine 2nd half and a brilliant playoff isn't going to verify anything that can't be seen half way through ST.

Pay the man.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Lester did poorly with Salty (see dozens of prior posts for citations). Salty is gone. Lester had I believe four different pitching coaches in four years. Did fine with the first and fourth. The first is his Manager, the fourth is his returning coach.

Going into the season to watch a pitcher who had a fine 2nd half and a brilliant playoff isn't going to verify anything that can't be seen half way through ST.

Pay the man.
    Lester struggled with Farrell at the beginning of last year. He had more success in the second half, but there isn't a pitcher in baseball that has sustained the kind of home run rates that he had in the second half. It would be a shame to overpay him based on 3 months of a good ERA.

vCash
    Lester has been one of the top 15 pitchers I'd say since 2008 based off of consistency. He's left handed and has shown to dominant in the playoffs. He had a bad 2012. Big deal. Cliff Lee was so bad one yr they sent him to the minors and he has been a beast ever since. Lester probably would put up similar numbers to Kershaw if he pitched in the NL....definitely a sub 3 era. He deserves the money and should be paid.

vCash
    I believe since the start of 2008 Lester is in the top 12 for SP rWAR. Lester is also one of the few SP's that has continually gone out and started 30+ games a year. But, being on the Sox he has been about as carefully handled as any SP of his time. His velocity at his current age seems to be holding up vs his peak speed when he was younger compared to the small handful of top SP's of this era I've checked the past year or two.

I won't bore with the details, but mechanically Lester is very clean I.E. He's going to age well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    I believe since the start of 2008 Lester is in the top 12 for SP rWAR. Lester is also one of the few SP's that has continually gone out and started 30+ games a year. But, being on the Sox he has been about as carefully handled as any SP of his time. His velocity at his current age seems to be holding up vs his peak speed when he was younger compared to the small handful of top SP's of this era I've checked the past year or two.

I won't bore with the details, but mechanically Lester is very clean I.E. He's going to age well.
    Could you please expand on how his mechanics will help him to age well? I think this is an area where you could draw on your coaching experience to provide insight that the typical poster lacks.

vCash
    Hope this happens. Lester should be treated as 1 of our better players and should stick with the team long term.
    With the deepest of regrets I am announcing that I will be leaving Pro Sports Daily. No reason in particular but wanted to thank everyone for a great 6 years here. Lots of great discussion and good poll series as well. Also fun re-drafts. Best of luck to you all in the future.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast