Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Should a big man win DPOY with poor rebounding numbers?

I saw this debate on another sports group. Roy Hibbert is getting a ton of hype for DPOY. He is currently number one in defensive rating, and number 2 im blocks per game. So old and new stats both say he is an elite defender. But even I had to do a double take when looking at his rebounding numbers. He is currently averaging under 5 defensive rebounds a game. I'm going to assume that would be the lowest ever for a center winning DPOY.It has been said by old timers "a rebound is the end of a defensive play". Are we headed towards a new trend where we can look past this? Or does his rebounding numbers alarm you? Just an interesting topic to me. What do you guys think?

Edit: Marc Gasol had more defensive rebounds per game last year, but still averaged under 8 total rebounds per game. So this is a trend going on now. But one that might make Bill Russell punch someone. Lol.
    Last edited by DreamShaker; 01-23-2014 at 12:34 PM.

vCash

Should a big man win DPOY with poor rebounding numbers?

He makes a huge difference defensively in ways that stats don't always show. I've watched a few Pacers games this year and you can really tell the difference he makes by altering (not always blocking) many shots that come his way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavs_Fan24 View Post
    He makes a huge difference defensively in ways that stats don't always show. I've watched a few Pacers games this year and you can really tell the difference he makes by altering (not always blocking) many shots that come his way.
    I grew up watching Hakeem, so that has always been something I have paid attention to. A guy might get 4 or 5 blocks but he "changes" so many more. Forces bad shots or more difficult shots due to his rim protection. It is just interesting how the way we look at defensive player of the year candidates has changed. Used to, dude was an elite rebounder, shot blocker, and shot changer (as a big man). Now guys like Gasol and Hibbert are getting love by means of different measurements.

vCash
    I wouldn't put too much stock into it, he's typically a better second half player stat wise. Plus he plays with solid rebounders, Lance Stephenson alone leads SGs in rebounding.

But if you watch Hibbert he has a huge presence defensively. Forget blocks, he probably leads the league in altered shots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavs_Fan24 View Post
    My bad just saw your post. Completely agree about altered shots...

vCash
    He who boxes out, normally does not grab the rebound. Its all by design - Roy is huge, he uses his frame to box out the paint and they rebound by committee. They get 18 boards a game at the 2-3-4 spot and Scola gives them 5 more off the bench. I wouldn't want Roy chasing boards - I want him boxing out opposing bigs.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    The team gets a lot of the rebounds because of the defensive player's contests/stops/boxouts. The answer is easily yes.

vCash
    You can be a ****** rebounder and be a great defender, alot of great rebounders are actually ****** defenders. Because rebounding can be pretty redundant, the value of a legit rim protector is greater defensively.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    Already happened last year.

vCash
    Now, for the position, or poor rebounding numbers over all? This would pretty much guarantee that only big men can win the award which hardly seems fair.

vCash
    Being a defensive player is not about accumulating stats.

Being a good rebounder isn't all about getting rebounds. If you're boxing out or putting yourself out of defensive position by challenging a shot, you can't expect to get the rebound. Boxing out is a great rebounding play, but does not mean you get the rebound, it will actually help someone else get the rebound.

Some teams have many good rebounders in their lineup, so having someone average double digit rebounds is unnecessary.

Ideally, you would prefer a perimeter player get the rebound anyhow, as it allows more transition opportunities.
    "If you find yourself in the majority, rethink your position" - Mark Twain

vCash
    Hibberts not winning anything. Serge Ibaka will win.

vCash
    Storch, who is that incredible creature in your signature?

vCash
    His rebounding is -slightly- below average at 12.4 per48, with the average being 13.4 for a center.

Roy Hibbert is the last line of defense in the paint. He moves to the ball and attempts to alter the shot without fouling. Consequentially he is out of position to rebound on any penetration into the lane. On offense he often clears out for David West or Luis Scola to post up, or penetration from PG or Lance Stephenson. Hibbert also comes out to set screens for the wings.

vCash
    It's called defensive player of the year not rebounding player of the year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast