Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Mike Pettine Browns New HC

Will Burge ‏@WillBurge 1m

Sources confirm #Browns have chosen Pettine as next HC. Say meeting today is not interview but contract neg. If deal is reached he is coach
    Will Burge ‏@WillBurge 2m

Pettine lands at Hopkins airport (yes commercial flight) at 12:32. One source said deal could be done by 5pm today if all goes well #Browns
    I've been adding some stories about Pettine in the HC thread but figured we could start a new thread to talk about just Pettine since he is the next Browns HC (only negotiations stand in way and I don't see Jimmy letting Pettine walk after this fiasco and this getting leaked).

How does everyone feel about Pettine?

vCash
    It seems like someone was lied to IMO. Whether it be Haslem (Gase), or Lombardi (McD), I think their plan fell through and the Browns were left looking like they lost (again). If it was Lombardi saying McD was in and he wasn't, I think Lombardi is on a very short leash. If it was Haslem that misread Gase's interest, I think he has to do some serious soul searching and realize that he and the rest of everyone in Berea is not smarter than the rest of the world.

I was hesitant with Pettine, but do like the hire more than I liked Chud last year. I will admit, all of the uproar from Buffalo does make me feel better about the hire. Not to mention, I have read a handful of national media "like/support" the hire if it were to happen.

vCash

Mike Pettine Browns New HC

I like the hire. It's definitely not the home run hire they were going for but he should be a solid HC.

vCash
    Can't get excited or anything about this because like I've previously stated this feels like a 5th option. Obviously I hope its a diamond in the rough kind of find as he seems like a fiery hard nosed guy coming from Rex Ryan's tree and from the interviews I have heard of him sounds like he will have some good sound bits but its just seems like he was the last man standing. Honestly most of Cleveland probably had no clue who this guy was before 2 weeks ago and I don't blame them.

I would like to know more about his situation leaving the Jets in 2012 and if he was actually leaking inside information to the media regarding the team but if he was then he probably will fit right in with Lombardi/Banner who seem to leak everything and anything to seem to want to make everyone except the people in Berea lose their minds.

Will be interesting to see who he picks as his assistants as the Browns need to fully re-hire an entire new staff.

I do like the fact that he was in Mobile already this week seemingly scouting the Senior Bowl practices so at least the Browns did have someone besides Farmer who they might lose there.
    Last edited by ottograham14; 01-23-2014 at 08:17 AM.

vCash
    And the Browns start their terror with trying to gain leverage in the negotiations. Just get the deal done and stop acting like Pettine is not the next HC.

vCash
    Daryl Ruiter ‏@RuiterWrongFAN 27m
    Team spokesman denies report #Browns have made decision on HC; "decision may or may not happen today"
    Otto this may be what you were refferring too. Really hope they are gaining leverage and this isn't Chip Kelley 2.0

vCash
    Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie will be on the field to face the Buffalo Bills Sunday afternoon, and he will see his former defensive coordinator Mike Pettine standing on the opposing sidelines. Even when they were on the same team, though, Cromartie and Pettine almost came to blows, according to “Collision Low Crossers,” a new book on the 2011 Jets.

It was written by author Nicholas Dawidoff in a way that makes the reader feel like the “Hard Knocks” cameras never left.

Pettine once referred to Cromartie’s uneven play as “good Cro” and “bad Cro” in a press conference, and Cromartie took exception to Pettine’s critiques of his inconsistent effort. Cromartie complained about Pettine’s sarcastic demeanor.
    “When Pettine chided him, Cro said, ‘Shut up,’” according to the book. “Then he said, ‘[F---] you.’ Pettine told him quietly, ‘Don’t lose your cool. We’re all in this together.’

“As soon as Pettine left and the defense split into positional units, Cro said loudly that Pettine was ‘a high-school coach’ and declared he wasn’t ‘gonna take it’ from him.”
    Dennis Thurman, then the secondary coach and now the defensive coordinator, urged Cromartie to speak with Pettine privately.

“If I talk to him, I’ll punch him in the face,” Cromartie said, according to the book.

Former Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis added levity to the situation when he raised his hand and declared that he wanted to play receiver.

The author, who was given a security code, a desk in the scouting department, and a locker as part of his all-access agreement with the team, wrote that Pettine and Cromartie eventually met and talked things over.

Pettine departed the Jets after last season and made a lateral move to take the defensive coordinator job in Buffalo.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1515030

As a lifelong FSU guy I can openly say that Cro is an F'ing idiot and it shows by the way he acts off the field and the fact that he can't keep his shee in his pants with his own football team of kids. Figured I would share this though regarding Pettine and time with Jets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brownies236 View Post
    Otto this may be what you were refferring too. Really hope they are gaining leverage and this isn't Chip Kelley 2.0
    Trying to gain leverage from my understanding and didn't want it to get out that negotiations are the only thing standing in their way. Pettine apperantly wants more guaranteed money than what the Browns are offering right now and I don't blame him after what happened with Chud.

vCash
    Will Burge ‏@WillBurge 4m
    #Browns source mins ago: Only things that could derail Pettine hiring are contract or Malzahn suddenly showing interest. Neither likely
    Will has had some pretty reliable sources and seems to have all of the info regarding Pettine.

vCash
    Will has had some pretty reliable sources and seems to have all of the info regarding Pettine.
    Giff Smith the Bills D-Line coach yesterday made a lateral move to become the D-Line coach for the Titans. That was the first sign that Pettine is probably gone that Buffalo is allowing lateral moves from their staff to happen. Also it seems that Buffalo reporters are more plugged into the situation and they are saying its basically a done deal from their understanding talking to Bills FO individuals as of today. Browns FO is trying to create something they no longer have by making this entire seach a mockery and that is leverage.

vCash
    The biggest difference between Chud and Pettine this year is the coordinators he will bring with him. Who is going to be the OC/QB coach to shape the offense, train a new franchise QB, etc. I am definitely worried that there will be a lack of direction to this team. Pettine may be a better coach than Chud, but the overall coaching situation as a whole is far worse.

ELI WO-MANNING

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokasaurus View Post
    The biggest difference between Chud and Pettine this year is the coordinators he will bring with him. Who is going to be the OC/QB coach to shape the offense, train a new franchise QB, etc. I am definitely worried that there will be a lack of direction to this team. Pettine may be a better coach than Chud, but the overall coaching situation as a whole is far worse.
    I agree that can happen and odds are it will. However, the "GREAT" coordinators are also to blame for the collapse. Until the staff is hired and plays some games, we can't make that judgement.

On paper yes, it seems that the previous coaches will probably have had a better resume.

vCash
    I think Kokasaurus is spot on...here's why.

This is my concern with Pettine as the Head Coach and The Dan Patrick Show touched on it this morning as well...the Browns offense needs the most work. Browns are getting a new QB, I think that is fact, and the team needs strong offensive leaders to help the new QB. Gordon, IMO, is the only legit WR, and the interior OLine needs to be redone (I don't see frugal Banner keeping Mack) with a new RB to boot. I think this draft will mostly be offensive, yet we have a defensive guy to lead the team with an already pretty darn good defense.

Pro of Pettine:
    Defense could become stronger, almost like a Seattle/San Fran type (wishful thinking).

Con of Pettine:
    An already lackluster offense probably won't improve especially with a new rookie QB.

Would Kyle Shanahan be a wise decision for OC (is he still free?)? I sure hope it is not Cam Cameron...
    [/B]I am a Pit Puritan.

vCash
    I agree that can happen and odds are it will. However, the "GREAT" coordinators are also to blame for the collapse. Until the staff is hired and plays some games, we can't make that judgement.

On paper yes, it seems that the previous coaches will probably have had a better resume.
    This but like 236 mentions lets not act like Turner or Horton set the world on fire. How many 4th quarter defensive lapses could be on Horton. How many late game leads could be put on Turner for continually putting the defense in tough situations due to not running the ball at all and instead continuing to throw the ball in the 4th quarter even in late December when Campbell clearly wasn't extending the field because he had no confidence in his ball down the field in the wind.

I would like some experienced/veteran Coordinators but the Browns have tried that before and clearly it can fall flat on its face. The main goal is getting assistants that know what Pettine wants to do and that are all on the same page. I don't care if that is first timers or 20 year vets as long as they understand each other and a full offensive/defensive gameplan that meshes with what the entire coaching staff want to do overall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttackJack View Post
    I think Kokasaurus is spot on...here's why.

This is my concern with Pettine as the Head Coach and The Dan Patrick Show touched on it this morning as well...the Browns offense needs the most work. Browns are getting a new QB, I think that is fact, and the team needs strong offensive leaders to help the new QB. Gordon, IMO, is the only legit WR, and the interior OLine needs to be redone (I don't see frugal Banner keeping Mack) with a new RB to boot. I think this draft will mostly be offensive, yet we have a defensive guy to lead the team with an already pretty darn good defense.

Pro of Pettine:
    Defense could become stronger, almost like a Seattle/San Fran type (wishful thinking).

Con of Pettine:
    An already lackluster offense probably won't improve especially with a new rookie QB.

Would Kyle Shanahan be a wise decision for OC (is he still free?)? I sure hope it is not Cam Cameron...
    I agree. I think Pettine will give the OC full control of the Offense and essentially keep tabs on the offense, or at least he should.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast