Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Exclamation Raiderettes Suing Team for Allegedly Being Paid $5 an Hour

As if the Oakland Raiders needed any more bad press after their second consecutive 4-12 season, the team is now being sued by its cheerleaders.

Current and former Raiderettes, as they are known, have filed a lawsuit claiming wage theft and other unfair employment practices, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

Perhaps the most frightening claim of all is that the team withholds pay from the cheerleaders until the end of the season, when they are paid their annual salary of $1,250. Taking into account practices, games and other events that the cheerleaders must attend, that comes out to a shockingly low $5 per hour.

"It's as if the Raiders' owners believe that the laws that protect all workers in California just don't apply to them," attorney Sharon Vinick said, via the Mercury News report.

But it doesn't stop there.

The Raiderettes, according to Vinick, are fined for infractions such as showing up with the wrong pom-poms or forgetting to bring a yoga mat to practice. Lacy T., the lead plaintiff, also noted the cheerleaders must cover their own business expenses, including travel costs and photo shoots.

As far as damages, the lawsuit seeks to repay "tens of thousands of dollars" to former cheerleaders and "thousands of dollars" to those who worked in 2013.

This news comes on the heels of a Change.org petition submitted by NFL cheerleaders claiming they make as little as $150 per game while NFL mascots earn up to $65,000 a year—which would be an astounding 52 times as much as the Raiderettes claim to earn annually.

"Being an NFL cheerleader isn’t just a hobby," states the petition, which has over 27,000 virtual signatures. "The selection process for the few slots on each squad is competitive, and each member is required to have highly specialized dance and athletic skills."

If these claims are true, they are quite shocking.

Even if cheerleaders brought nothing to the game-day experience or didn't work off the field—neither of which are true—they would still deserve to be paid reasonably for their time, and it sounds as though that isn't remotely the case.

According to the Mercury News report, the Raiders have no comment on the lawsuit at this time.

Link:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...paid-5-an-hour

RAIDER NATION

vCash
    Who the hell would want to be a cheerleader if that's what they deal with? That's terrible. You would think they would get their travel costs anf all that paid for. Arent they categorized as professionals as well? And their paid far less than minimum wage.

vCash
    This is horrible if true. Make this right.

vCash
    i don't buy this as presented. they're suing, that's all we know. people sue for far less than $5 an hour. we really don't know anything yet, just hearsay, so passing judgment already is a little premature, imo.
    Last edited by chipurmunki; 01-23-2014 at 01:47 AM.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    The Raiderettes are the only part of the game that played well all season, especially in the second half.

Pay them.

vCash
    Ill pay em 10 an hour to come to my house
    If loving the raiders is wrong then I dont wanna be right!!!!!
    Prosportsdaily where we fight and cheer for the same team
    At the same time

vCash
    Pay those girls!

vCash
    Boy, this modern day 20th century technology is "golly-gee-willikers"!! Whaaa?

"Why didn't someone tell me this was the 21st century????"

vCash
    this is a sidejob...they get exposure and helps their modeling and dance careers...trying to make a side job into a career...sigh...

http://www.therichest.com/sports/foo...eaders-salary/
    believing what you believe in. sticking up for your rights and sticking up for the rights of others from time to time. do it your way. don't let the culture tell you what to do. that's being a Raider. -Al Davis

vCash
    I say divide Jano's paycheck up and give it to the cheerleaders!

vCash
    The Raiders are slum lords in the cheer leading world (Allegedly), the news just keeps getting better & better.

Reggie got played in a New York Minute

vCash
    It's a league wide issue, I signed a petition on Change.org the other day. Cheerleaders are extremely under paid, Like $150 per week....Meanwhile mascots can be paid $65,000 per year. Dammit i'm in the wrong biz, If those assertions are correct, Then the NFL is dead wrong!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestlaker75 View Post
    It's a league wide issue, I signed a petition on Change.org the other day. Cheerleaders are extremely under paid, Like $150 per week....Meanwhile mascots can be paid $65,000 per year. Dammit i'm in the wrong biz, If those assertions are correct, Then the NFL is dead wrong!

I have a friend that was an Eagles cheerleader for awhile. I'm almost positive she said she didn't get paid at all.

Mascots are mascots ALL year round. They're going to all PR events and charity gigs. Its a full time job for them.

Once the season is over, most cheerleaders are done for the year.

Like said, this isn't meant to be a JOB. Its exposure. Period.
    [CENTER]

"I BRING THE JUICE!"
    -Raiders LB Sio Moore

newjawn.com-medicinal music

vCash
    If that's true, then it's not even minimum wage. They are acting like it's a surprise. I would think they would have had to sign an agreement to do this. These girls are trying to make some extra money by doing this, but for $5/hr? I would find another line of work. Sad part is if these girls left, there's probably 1000 more that would gladly step in. Considering how much money the NFL throws around, you would think there would be some control over this. They control everything else.

vCash
    I also have a friend who is a Buffalo Jill. They make next to nothing, she also works as a server during the season.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast