Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Reese Havens retires

Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN
    Former #Mets first-round pick Reese Havens has retired. Taken in '08, in same first round as Ike Davis. Talented hitter, but oft-injured.

It's a shame he couldn't stay healthy. Injuries can really rob talent.

vCash
    It's really too bad. He had the makings of potentially a very solid second baseman.

vCash
    There was the old thread where bad luck was mention regarding the draft, well Havens is the prime example of that. A guy who never was hurt before he turned pro, just could not stay healthy once he was drafted and never made it. Other guys like Rustich come to mind and Vineyard and a few others as well that we're drafted in recents drafts.

You just can't predict this things when drafting a player.

vCash
    I think make-up was an issue with Havens too. He seemed a little bit "too" laid back to me whenever I heard him interviewed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I think make-up was an issue with Havens too. He seemed a little bit "too" laid back to me whenever I heard him interviewed.
    Havens was known for his focus, intensity, and intangibles. Who cares what he sounds like off the field? Carlos Beltran was a player that was a little too "laid back" for some Mets fans.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Havens was known for his focus, intensity, and intangibles. Who cares what he sounds like off the field? Carlos Beltran was a player that was a little too "laid back" for some Mets fans.
    Beltran is NOT laid-back. He's intense and very serious about his job. He's just not an out-spoken guy and was smooth on the field, things he unjustly got criticized for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna:27850450
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Beltran is NOT laid-back. He's intense and very serious about his job. He's just not an out-spoken guy and was smooth on the field, things he unjustly got criticized for.
    I believe that was Dugs point.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    What was his point?

Beltran=not laid back
    Havens=laid back

I don't get the sense he wanted it enough. But the injuries are what did him in the most at the end of the day. I just think that even without the injuries, he wouldn't have reached his potential.

vCash
    Predicting injury risk is probably the next big breakthrough tool for baseball FOs.

While many sports injuries are random and freakish, a great many are the result of gradual damage from mechanical issues.

You wonder if we will see less and less of these types of guys taken in early rounds if that science ever develops properly.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Too bad for him, but it's time to move on.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    What was his point?

Beltran=not laid back
    Havens=laid back

I don't get the sense he wanted it enough. But the injuries are what did him in the most at the end of the day. I just think that even without the injuries, he wouldn't have reached his potential.
    Sometimes it's best not to say anything.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna:27851514
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    What was his point?

Beltran=not laid back
    Havens=laid back

Dugs point is that its easy to misread a player by his outward demeanor. No one busted it harder on the field than Beltran but because he rarely showed emotion many fans mistook him for being laid back. I never saw Reese but I suppose he was the same way.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I watched Havens and Ike Davis playing in a game with Havens as the SS, Davis playing first and Lucas Duda playing left field. Havens went 2 for 4, double and opposite field 2 run homer, it was hit with authority. Davis had a grandslam or 3 run homerun same game. Haven's looked much better during that short season than Davis. Duda was lifted early because of a pulled muscle or other medical reason. I really thought we had a Chase Utley in our system a few years back...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by youngstuna View Post
    what was his point?

Beltran=not laid back
    havens=laid back

i don't get the sense he wanted it enough. But the injuries are what did him in the most at the end of the day. I just think that even without the injuries, he wouldn't have reached his potential.
    How in the world do you know he didn't have the drive? Is it based on hearing him speak a few times in front of a microphone?

He was a young kid with a dream... and young kid in front of a microphone. You can't know if he didn't have the drive based on that.

Noah Syndergaard is laid back in front of a microphone too from the times I've heard him speak. It means nothing.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    I was really intrigued by Havens when we drafted him. Seemed like a guy who could give us great plate discipline and above average power at 2B. Very unfortunate.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast