Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Rangers Trade Del Zotto

According to my sports app Del Zotto to Nash for D Klein

vCash
    If Klein is the type of player his stats suggest he is, then the GMs around the league dared Sather to not trade Del Zotto and let him go to arbitration, and held him hostage for a low-ball trade.

Does anyone feel like they know whether this was a fair trade or not? On paper, we got a right-handed, 3rd pairing defenseman who is approaching 30yrs old.

vCash
    What an awful trade if straight up.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    What an awful trade if straight up.
    Apparently straight up: http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...ein-to-rangers

Don't see the point of this trade

vCash
    why is everyone shocked Slats is awful. Yes he does better with trdes but he is an awful GM

vCash
    Adds toughness and defensive ability but I think this will be a trade we regret later on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Adds toughness and defensive ability but I think this will be a trade we regret later on.
    Del Zotto should thank his lucky stars for the opportunity to play under Weber, Josi and Jones. He may very well excel and blossom, too, under Trotz and in a small hockey market.

vCash
    This IMO is a horrible horrible trade for us. MDZ is still young and has potential while Klein is 30 and there is no reasonable expectation for improvement. He may add toughness but that is it.

vCash
    Best of luck to MDZ.... didn't work out here but he's a good kid and I think he'll eventually find his game. It was too early to give up on him IMO, but you can only move on at this point and hope that Klein gives us some toughness that we've been lacking on D.

But I agree with BSI, I think we'll regret this move in a year or two.

vCash
    I also like how every other player on this team was allowed an excuse from getting out from under the Torts regime except for MDZ. Even Hank with his awful start this year had the "new system" excuse to fall on but not MDZ. This kid scored 10 goals and 31 points for us 2 years ago and he's been in the doghouse since. We are going to regret this trade.

vCash
    First response to trade on Nashville board:

"If this is straight up for Klein, it's a steal."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MJL80 View Post
    Best of luck to MDZ.... didn't work out here but he's a good kid and I think he'll eventually find his game. It was too early to give up on him IMO, but you can only move on at this point and hope that Klein gives us some toughness that we've been lacking on D.

But I agree with BSI, I think we'll regret this move in a year or two.

I regret it now!!!! If they wanted to move him tahts fine but you have to get more back for him then that

vCash
    I'm not gonna lie, I wanted him gone... but not for that.

vCash
    I do think other GMs held most of the cards in negotiating any trade for Del Zotto. I think they aptly concluded Sather would not pay Del Zotto what he could get in arbitration (>$3mm per season), and that kept offers on the lower side because, after the deadline, the Raners risk losing him for nothing if they choose not to meet the arbitrator's award.

vCash
    I actually do not mind the trade. I do believe the Cap will keep increasing, or at the very least have a pretty moderate increase before next year, so Klein's contract may actually be looking good with 2 years left and under $3.0 million. In that regard, despite my feelings about Del Zotto as a player going forward, he will get a raise from his current price of $2.55 (and he's being paid $2.9 this year) in arbitration and once he hits UFA he will be commanding a bit more than that.

Even if he continues at this rate--which isn't anything really special if you think about it (a third-pairing defenseman with flashes of potential)-- he will get paid. We didn't have much leverage here. No team was going to go out of their way to pay the Rangers more than this to see if Del Zotto would reach his potential or rot away to mediocrity on their third pairing before inevitably leaving or costing them big bucks.

Klein on the other hand is a proven steady hand. He's more than likely nothing more than a bottom-3 defenseman but he is a proven and reliable one at that. He's right-handed which adds some variety to the Rangers blue line and that never hurts.
    New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast