Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

RYAN CALLAHAN --- Whats your price?

He is our captain.

It is easy to see why. He is not a star player but he is a leader. He might not be a goal scorer but he does everything else.

The question is, what is that worth?

Like SLY said in another thread, the Sedins signed 4/28 extensions in November. Can we really give Cally 35 for 5 or 6 years? Granted the Sedins signed for a discount, but on the same merit will Callahan give us a discount?

Another good question -- the salary cap is going up-up-up... is it going to hurt? if we sign Callahan to a deal like that now it might not look as bad in year 3/4.

Also- who else is going to give him a contract like that? Callahan is our captain and it could be worth bidding against ourselves, but should we?

Just thought our captain should have a thread. DISCUSS!

vCash
    I like 5/25 as the max

vCash
    Thanks for the thread; well deserved.

I think the clearing market, as a wide range, is $5.5 million to $6.5 million per season over five years. Callahan won't sign in New York for less than $5.5 million in my view, and if what we offer him is on the low side, he'll ask for and get 6 years.

I think a handful of teams would "salivate" at the notion of signing Ryan Callahan; e.g., Boston, Toronto, Buffalo, St. Louis, Anaheim, LA Kings.

I am laying my chips on Sather trading Callahan and targeting Thomas Vanek as #1 free agency target. That is what I would do.
    Last edited by Redfish; 01-22-2014 at 09:34 AM.

vCash
    For me the big issue is contract length more than annual salary. I know people are going to throw things at me but I would see how strong the trade market would be for him. If we could get back some very high picks or very good prospects I would consider it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish:27846908
    Thanks for the thread; well deserved.

I think the clearing market, as a wide range, is $5.5 million to $6.5 million per season over five years. Callahan won't sign in New York for less than $5.5 million in my view, and if what we offer him is on the low side, he'll ask for and get 6 years.

I think a handful of teams would "salivate" at the notion of signing Ryan Callahan; e.g., Boston, Toronto, Buffalo, St. Louis, Anaheim, LA Kings.

I am laying my chips on Sather trading Callahan and targeting Thomas Vanek as #1 free agency target. That is what I would do.
    I agree with everything but Vanek. I might be on an island alone here but I think Vanek resigns with the Isles. I just think they gave up so much for him that they can't afford to not resign him. He is gonna be a rich man and along with Taveres the face of the franchise in Brooklyn. If I was a betting man, I think he goes to Anaheim before the deadline. It would be nice to get Silvferberg out of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    I agree with everything but Vanek. I might be on an island alone here but I think Vanek resigns with the Isles. I just think they gave up so much for him that they can't afford to not resign him. He is gonna be a rich man and along with Taveres the face of the franchise in Brooklyn. If I was a betting man, I think he goes to Anaheim before the deadline. It would be nice to get Silvferberg out of them.
    As much as I love the Rangers, the notion of professional ice hockey being played in Brooklyn is extremely exciting to me. It should do wonders for an already good rivalry with deep history, and I think the local hockey market will explode. There are already some top notch youth clubs in the area.

I can envision the Isles resigning Vanek. I think Vanek in a Rangers uniform would go a long way for AV reshaping and elevating the team, so I am hoping we get a shot at him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish:27847292
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    As much as I love the Rangers, the notion of professional ice hockey being played in Brooklyn is extremely exciting to me. It should do wonders for an already good rivalry with deep history, and I think the local hockey market will explode. There are already some top notch youth clubs in the area.

I can envision the Isles resigning Vanek. I think Vanek in a Rangers uniform would go a long way for AV reshaping and elevating the team, so I am hoping we get a shot at him.
    Ya...I would like him here, he would fit in here better than the Isles I think but if he is available we are gonna overpay to get him, just not sure about another high year high dollar contract. But like you said he would be a good fit here.

vCash
    I think they'd miss his physical play if they let him go.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    I have been outspoken about this, but I have no interest in trading Callahan. It's hard to say what's going on with negotiations, but unless it gets nasty I want to pay Callahan and keep him around. Unless there truly is no light at the end of the tunnel, I do not want to move Callahan. He's the kind of player that helps win Cups.

Extend him, now.
    New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    I agree fully. Look how much of a blessing the small addition of Carcillo has been because of what he brings in that department. Are people really under the impression that moving our most physical player is good for this team?

We already play like garbage when he's out of the lineup. He's a noticeable presence you don't find often.

vCash
    Well, in advocating a trade of Callahan and for making Thomas Vanek our #1 free agent priority, I assumed we would receive a hard hitting, defensively sound 3rd line forward. Maybe they are difficult to acquire but Callahan's on ice presence would certainly be missed. He is usually top 5 in the league in Hits, or checks.

vCash
    Yeah, no interest in losing that kind of presence.

As far as Vanek goes, no thanks.

vCash
    I want him resigned too but not for longer than 4 years and no more than 5 per....but that isnt what he is gonna want, for the same reasons I want a shorter contract he wants a longer one. Its because of his style of play, size and he is injury prone. I see Callahan looking for a 7 year 40 mill deal, he would prob settle for 6/35 or somewhere close to that but I dont know if we can handle that with the amount of games he loses to injury. So if we arent prepared to go that high we have to trade him, if you get say an Andrew Ladd then you havent lost anything unless you have to throw a pick in there.

vCash
    They cant afford to lose any more of tough players. that being said we cant pay him 6-7 a year either

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr2002nyr:27853844
    They cant afford to lose any more of tough players. that being said we cant pay him 6-7 a year either
    Nobody said you have to get a pansie back for him...I want him to stay and maybe he surprises me and takes a shorter contract but if he goes max we may have to send a 3rd pick and him out for a Ladd or Wheeler type since Cally is UFA.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast