Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Is Portland the new Denver?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. They aren't build for playoff success.

5 41.67%
  • No. They are prime to push deep in the post season.

7 58.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

Is Portland the new Denver?

First, I want to say that Portland is playing amazing and that team has earned every win they've got. I do not mean to take anything away from what they've accomplished this season. They are blowing my mind away (as is Indy, and even OKC--- without Westy and Harden... to be playing at this level.... wow).

For nearly 10 years we've seen Denver play well EVERY season since GK came to town. 50 win season after 50 win season. They look good every year, but when the playoffs rolled around, they just didn't have the tools to make a deep playoff run. Looking at Portland (and I haven't gotten to watch many of their games this year, so fans who've seen the games can hopefully answer this), it seems like though they may be winning games, they might not be the kind of team that is built for playoff success.

So what do you think: Is Portland the real deal? Or are they, like Denver, a team that can play well in the regular season, but simply doesn't have the tools to make a deep playoff run?

What are you thoughts?
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    They have a puncher's chance of contending in any series, but I would not put them in the same category of the Spurs/Heat/Thunder/Pacers.

vCash
    They're an interesting team. Top offense, but a bottom 10 D.

That said, without looking at the #'s I feel like they're a stronger 2nd half + 4th quarter team, which indicates that they have the ability to buckle down and put it all together in a playoff series (opposite of Minny - who goes from a top 5 team in the first 3 quarters to a bottom 5 team in the 4th quarter). Still, if I was making the bet I'd take a healthy LAC, SAS, GSW and OKC over them if they meet in the playoffs. They'll play them all tough and do have a punchers chance in any series though, agreed.

vCash
    They're not there yet, but guys like Lillard, Batum & Wes are still young. They need to deepen their bench, and get a true defensive big C alongside LMA.
    Top 10 Rappers Right Now
    1. Nas
    2. Kendrick Lamar
    3. Jay-Z
    4. J Cole
    5. Lupe Fiasco
    6. Common
    7. Eminem
    8. Kanye West
    9. Pusha-T
    10. Slaughterhouse (Royce, Crooked I, Joe Budden)

Top 10 Rappers of all-time
    1. 2Pac
    2. Nas
    3. Rakim
    4. Notorious B.I.G.
    5. Jay-Z
    6. Eminem
    7. KRS-One
    8. Public Enemy (Chuck D)
    9. Common
    10. Ice Cube

Follow me, @bharjan

vCash
    They're legit. LMA is having a MVP type season and Lillard is a top tier pg AND clutch. Plus they're well coached and balanced at every position.

I would be shocked if they didn't make WCF....

vCash
    Lillard is killer at closing games out and LMA is a damn good player. They're real. But like someone said they need to deepen their bench a little.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IversonIsKrazy View Post
    They're not there yet, but guys like Lillard, Batum & Wes are still young. They need to deepen their bench, and get a true defensive big C alongside LMA.
    Agreed. They are a solid team and are really close to being elite. They need a bench most of all though to really make a deep run.

Edit: They have a couple things different than Denver. Denver was never a one two combo like LMA and Lillard. Portland has an owner willing to spend money. Thus I have confidence they will continue to grow. Don't forget where this team is coming from in comparison to last year. Making it to the 2nd round would be an enormous achievement comparatively.
    Last edited by albertajaysfan; 01-22-2014 at 01:28 AM.

vCash
    no. But, that's because they've only really come together as a unit this year, they are still about one to two years away. They need more experience and some tinkering, deeper bench, true 6th man. Better starting Center would help.
    Imagine them with Tyson Chandler or Marc Gasol and a 6th man like Jeff Green.

vCash
    sort of. They won't be able to compete with OKC or SA in the west, even a healthy Clippers or Warriors imo.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNumber37 View Post
    no. But, that's because they've only really come together as a unit this year, they are still about one to two years away. They need more experience and some tinkering, deeper bench, true 6th man. Better starting Center would help.
    adding Lopez and depth is why they are good though.....

LMA is a ***** who doesn't want to play center on either end. Lopez is a godsend to this years team

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    They kind of came out of nowhere at the beginning of the season. According to rumors, LMA even asked for trading him away. After several amazing games highlighted by LMA 's big double -doubles and Lillard 's electrifying buzzer-beater, they proved that they are not just lucky --they actually have the mentality and strength to be a rock -solid team.
    But just as some guys have already mentioned, they're a young team, which inevitably lacks enough experience. Recently, they have been totally steamrolled by some teams like the Rockets. It is really a case in point that they are not consistent enough. Maybe they need to trade for a veteran to guide them in the locker room ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisclever View Post
    They kind of came out of nowhere at the beginning of the season. According to rumors, LMA even asked for trading him away. After several amazing games highlighted by LMA 's big double -doubles and Lillard 's electrifying buzzer-beater, they proved that they are not just lucky --they actually have the mentality and strength to be a rock -solid team.
    But just as some guys have already mentioned, they're a young team, which inevitably lacks enough experience. Recently, they have been totally steamrolled by some teams like the Rockets. It is really a case in point that they are not consistent enough. Maybe they need to trade for a veteran to guide them in the locker room ?
    People called the warriors young and they made a great run last year. I think Portland is capable of doing the same.

vCash
    I like their team, but I think they're a first round knockout. I just think Lillard will need some more experience and they seem to rely a lot on jumpers. Defense needs work too.

I don't think they're better than OKC with RW, or the Spurs. Also think they're a bad match up for the Rox and Clips

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by albertajaysfan:27846292
    greed. They are a solid team and are really close to being elite. They need a bench most of all though to really make a deep run.

Edit: They have a couple things different than Denver. Denver was never a one two combo like LMA and Lillard. Portland has an owner willing to spend money. Thus I have confidence they will continue to grow. Don't forget where this team is coming from in comparison to last year. Making it to the 2nd round would be an enormous achievement comparatively.
    Iverson and Anthony were an explosive combo, though the existence was not long

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNumber37 View Post
    What would you give up for Chandler if you were POR?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast