Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Jets to host Decker in unofficial FA 'visit'

Jets to host Decker in unofficial FA 'visit'

One of the benefits to hosting a conference champion at your facility during the run-up to the Super Bowl is being able to show off your digs to potential free agents. In real-estate terms, it's like an open house: Come on in, check us out and see if you can envision yourself here.

The AFC champion Denver Broncos have a player who might draw interest from the New York Jets in free agency -- wide receiver Eric Decker.

For four days next week, Decker and his teammates will practice at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center in Florham Park, N.J., a 224,000 square-foot facility on a 27-acre campus. The players won't have full access inside the building -- some areas are off-limits -- but they certainly will get a good feel for the place, which includes a 5,500 square-foot locker room, five practice fields and a massive field house. For Decker, it'll be like an extended free-agent visit, with non-verbal recruiting.

No doubt, coordinator Marty Mornhinweg would like to have a receiver of Decker's ilk in his offense -- young (27 in March), athletic and big (6-foot-3). The Jets have similar players in Stephen Hill and David Nelson, but Hill has been a disappointment. Nelson is a keeper; it'll be up to them to decide if they believe he can prosper in a prominent role.

Over the last two seasons, Decker has 172 receptions for 2,352 yards, ranking 11th and ninth in the league, respectively. Interested teams will have to address two big questions about him: How much of his production is due to Peyton Manning's brilliance? Is he good enough to be a No. 1 receiver?

No doubt, Decker has benefitted greatly from having Manning, not to mention fellow receiver Demaryius Thomas on the other side. But Decker's ascent started pre-Manning, in 2011, when he scored nine touchdowns in his first full season as a starter.

And that came with Tim Tebow throwing the ball. If he can score nine times with Tebow ... well, you can fill in the rest.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Would love to sign Decker. I understand there's a reason to be concerned since he catches passes from P Manning and has D Thomas opposite of him, but the dude is a stud. He's one of the strongest WR at his position and he's got really solid hands. He might not be a #1, but he's at the very least has the potential to be a 1B for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets012 View Post
    Would love to sign Decker. I understand there's a reason to be concerned since he catches passes from P Manning and has D Thomas opposite of him, but the dude is a stud. He's one of the strongest WR at his position and he's got really solid hands. He might not be a #1, but he's at the very least has the potential to be a 1B for us.
    If Decker was black there would be no debate about his number 1 status.
    THE GOAT

Until a player reaches these PA numbers, lets not talk about how good they are.

The Following PA's are when sample size stabilizes

50 PA: Swing %
    100 PA: Contact Rate
    150 PA: Strikeout Rate, Line Drive Rate, Pitches/PA
    200 PA: Walk Rate, Groundball Rate, GB/FB
    250 PA: Flyball Rate
    300 PA: Home Run Rate, HR/FB
    500 PA: OBP, SLG, OPS, 1B Rate, Popup Rate
    550 PA: ISO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CostanzaNumba0 View Post
    I have to agree haha.

I'm a big Decker fan, I would love to bring him in. Get Ebron/Amaro in the 1st and maybe Matthews/Benjamin in the 2nd and we're set. Hopefully it could work like that.

vCash
    delete
    Last edited by CostanzaNumba0; 01-21-2014 at 04:23 PM. Reason: repost
    THE GOAT

vCash
    Deja vu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets012 View Post
    I like Decker and I think he's a good receiver, but I think he will be overpaid. He has back to back 1000 yard seasons - nearly totaling 1300 yards this year - but that's partially due to his team (QB in particular). I think some team will throw a lot of money at him thinking that he's an 80 catch 1100+ yard receiver when in actuality on most teams he's probably a 60-70 catch 800-900 yard receiver. Don't get me wrong, that's still good production and he has a nose for the end zone, but I think he'll end up being paid more than he's worth and we have multiple positions of need to address.

Personally, I'd rather have Maclin. I think all things being equal in terms of supporting cast Maclin and Decker will produce similar numbers. Maclin has been good for 60-70 catches and 800-900 yards the last three years with the likes of Kevin Kolb and Michael Vick throwing him the ball. He's also likely due to be a little undervalued due to his injury, though he should be fully recovered sometime during the preseason. He also knows Morninwheg's system already so he'd have a slight advantage over Decker there. And if you can save a little money on him vs Decker that means there's more to spend on other areas like TE, OL, or OLB for example.

If there's one Super Bowl WR I'd stay away from it's Golden Tate. He's best in the slot, similar in size and production to Kerley. He's also a bit of a head case and I really don't see him being that much of an upgrade over Kerley. I'm fine with Kerley starting in the slot as long as we bring in some help for him on the outside.

vCash
    This is the exact person that I want.

Decker/Kerly/Amaro or Ebron are some solid receiving options to build around. Throw a Boldin or someone like that in there and you are good to go.
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    At this very moment, I'm hoping for Ebron/Amaro in the 1st and Matthews/Benjamin/Robinson in the 2nd with Maclin in the FA market. That's a substantial increase in talent on the offensive end.

If we get Decker, I think a guy like Lee would be a nice target in the 1st round. Try for some diversity in talents.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    At this very moment, I'm hoping for Ebron/Amaro in the 1st and Matthews/Benjamin/Robinson in the 2nd with Maclin in the FA market. That's a substantial increase in talent on the offensive end.

If we get Decker, I think a guy like Lee would be a nice target in the 1st round. Try for some diversity in talents.
    Love this thought.

For good luck against the sucks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Love this thought.
    Yeah that's my preferred scenario. That would be a win of epic proportions for this franchise.

vCash
    I CAN'Y BELIEVE WHAT I JUST READ (:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by POLOGREEN View Post
    What?
    THE GOAT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by POLOGREEN View Post
    That's awesome
    NYJ
    Jet Nation

NYK
    #3ToTheHead

NYY

Get Up!!!

http://twitter.com/TrueNYJetGS

vCash
    Refresh my memory, isn't Decker a very viable red zone target?
    There are no men like me, only me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast