Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Leafs player discussion thread

Just a general thread to talk about players. Who's on a hot streak or a cold streak. Interesting facts that we didn't know, tweets from guys. Any kind of stuff that doesn't fit in the game thread or general discussions and isn't big enough news to start a new thread.
    Last edited by OptiMized; 01-21-2014 at 12:54 PM.

vCash
    I'll start.

Bozak is making me look like a fool for not liking his new deal. $4.2 million for 5 years until he turns 33. So we locked him up for his prime years.

This year he has 9 goals and 14 assists for 23 points in 27 games. That's a 70 point pace over a full 82 game season (27,43).

Bozak's currently takes up 6.5% of our cap. Next year when the cap goes up (rumoured to be $70 million +) he will take up 6%. If you translated that percentage to this cap ceiling Bozak's cap hit would be $3.858 million dollars. So it's looking like a steal because A) He producing like a 1st liner and B) His cap hit (in terms of %) is being lowered this summer C) He's also playing more minutes per game.

We have Bozak locked up during his prime, for $3.858 million (essentially) and he's producing like a 1st line C. I don't know how i didn't see the positives before but that might have been the first time i let blind hate take over lol.

to Bozak, hopefully he can keep it up and get even better
    Last edited by OptiMized; 01-21-2014 at 12:57 PM.

vCash
    I think you like the rest of us didn't know the cap would be climbing like it will at the start of last offseason. Add to the fact that until this year Bozak's offence had been severely lacking while he played on our top line hurt how we all felt about him. I always wanted him back for under 4.5. I remember we had some doozey threads in the offseason on debating him. If he can keep producing say 55-70 points while being our top face off guy, one of the more trusted forwards and chip in on the PK then he's worth every damn penny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    I think you like the rest of us didn't know the cap would be climbing like it will at the start of last offseason. Add to the fact that until this year Bozak's offence had been severely lacking while he played on our top line hurt how we all felt about him. I always wanted him back for under 4.5. I remember we had some doozey threads in the offseason on debating him. If he can keep producing say 55-70 points while being our top face off guy, one of the more trusted forwards and chip in on the PK then he's worth every damn penny.
    Thanks for giving me two excuses, much appreciated lol

But yea it's looking like a steal now. Not to mention the year after that (when the Rogers deal kicks in) people expect it to climb over $75 million and maybe $80 million. IIRC the Toronto Sun speculated that in 5 years the NHL cap could be $100 million.

In an $80 million salary cap he would take up 5.25% of the cap. Convert that to a $64.3 million cap ceiling and Bozaks cap hit would be $3.375 million. Hopefully Nonis and co. can lock guys up (Bolland, Bernier, Kadri, Gardiner, Franson, etc.) before they know the exact cap #.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    This has been one of the biggest factors for me. To have a guy that can win faceoffs AND actually play in the offensive zone helps a ton. Especially on the powerplay. I also think the resurgence of the top line is due to the fact that McClement doesn't need to take the faceoff and then change while Kessel and JVR rush up the ice and take away momentum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    Thanks for giving me two excuses, much appreciated lol

But yea it's looking like a steal now. Not to mention the year after that (when the Rogers deal kicks in) people expect it to climb over $75 million and maybe $80 million. IIRC the Toronto Sun speculated that in 5 years the NHL cap could be $100 million.

In an $80 million salary cap he would take up 5.25% of the cap. Convert that to a $64.3 million cap ceiling and Bozaks cap hit would be $3.375 million. Hopefully Nonis and co. can lock guys up (Bolland, Bernier, Kadri, Gardiner, Franson, etc.) before they know the exact cap #.
    That'd be crazy if the cap went up that high. It'd be awesome for us because can spend 300 million if we wanted to. Not sure how accurate that statement actually is but point made lol. Yeah if Nonis can pounce on locking up some key guys to decent term and decent money sooner than later than we could REALLY take advantage of that rising cap in the seasons to come. I wonder if the cap got that high that even with the new TV deal if some teams would have a hard time getting to the floor. The floor rises with the ceiling in the cap. Maybe that would be a problem with some teams. I haven't looked into the economics of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    This has been one of the biggest factors for me. To have a guy that can win faceoffs AND actually play in the offensive zone helps a ton. Especially on the powerplay. I also think the resurgence of the top line is due to the fact that McClement doesn't need to take the faceoff and then change while Kessel and JVR rush up the ice and take away momentum.
    Yeah man the draws are huge. When you can start with the puck with your best players on the ice in either zone it's key. Lose a draw you might lose possession for minutes. Win it you might keep it for minutes. I like the fact that McClement can take less minutes now too with Bozie back. McClement was playing too many minutes, just above his head. He's great on the PK and in our zone, checking guys but that's it. Not a 16-20 minute a night guy like he was close to being used last month. Keeping him fresher with less minutes may see our PK climb up the rankings. Won't be as burned out.

vCash
    For those interested, here's what i was referring to

Next season is a simple 5 per cent jump from that. And the “TV deal boost” I’ve included is the $375-million from the new Rogers deal the NHL gets next season (including the up front $150-million split over two years) minus $190-million (the old national TV contract) and converted to Canadian dollars.

That’s how the NHL will become a nearly $4-billion business and have a salary cap of almost $75-million in less than two years.

The crazy part is what happens if you project that continued 5 per cent growth into the future. With the new TV deal added in, the league could easily have an $80-million cap by 2016-17 and a $100-million cap by the time the CBA expires in 2022.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle15627506/

Ok my bad, $100 million in about 8 years but still, those numbers are crazy

vCash
    We know how "prorating" Bozaks stats work out

vCash
    Keys to Kessel's prowess; deceptive strength:

“Extremely powerful,” Leafs netminder James Reimer said of Kessel’s deceptive gifts. “It’s just sneaky, strong power. I don’t know what he does in the summer to work on it or if that’s just natural ability, but he’s got probably the strongest legs on the team.”
    While neither Kessel or the manufacturer likes to talk about its exact specifics, a quick highlight package of his goals is enough to see what makes it different. Unlike players in earlier eras, Kessel can shoot hard and accurately while still in stride, using his body weight, strength and the whip of the composite hockey stick – combined with an uncanny accuracy – to pick corners when netminders least expect it.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle16677523/

nice read by Mirtle. They talk about his strength, his stick, and work ethic. Phil tries to keep up this "lazy, fat-guy" charade but the cat is out of the bag lol. (no one really thought he was fat lmao)
    Last edited by OptiMized; 02-04-2014 at 10:44 AM.

vCash
    NHL players say the exact type of stick Kessel uses is so difficult to control that most give up experimenting with it after a practice or two. Such a whippy stick complicates simple things such as stickhandling or winning battles along the boards, making it suitable for only the most precise player.
    looks like Kessel has an excuse for not playing the boards lol

vCash
    Haha yeaaah... that's Kessel's problem on the boards lol

vCash
    I wonder what kind of twig and what flex he uses

vCash
    An Easton S19, flex less than 70.. which is ridiculous

vCash
    Phil Kessel stats 2013-2014

71 GP, 35 G, 39 A, 73 Pts, 1.06 PPG, -1, 21:32 TOI

Stats when team wins: 36 GP, 26 G, 31 A, 57 Pts, 1.58 PPG, +25, 21:32 TOI
    Stats when team loses: 33 GP, 8 G, 8 A, 16 Pts, 0.49 PPG, -26, 21:31 TOI

October: 14 GP, 9 G, 9 A, 18 Pts, 1.29 PPG, +7
    November: 13 GP, 5 G, 1 A, 6 Pts, 0.46 PPG, -2
    December: 14 GP, 6 G, 7 A, 13 Pts, 0.93 PPG, -5
    January: 15 GP, 7 G, 13 A, 20 Pts, 1.33 PPG, -3
    February: 5 GP, 5 G, 5 A, 10 Pts, 2.00 PPG, +7
    March: 10 GP, 3 G, 4 A, 6 Pts, 0.6 PPG, -5

Eastern Conference: 44 GP, 20 G, 24 A, 44 Pts, 1.00 PPG, -2
    Western Conference: 25 GP, 14 G, 15 A, 29 Pts, 1.16 PPG, +1

Take away November and holy **** this guys numbers would be crazy.
    Last edited by OptiMized; 03-21-2014 at 11:00 AM.

vCash
    Sportsnet Ticker ‏@SportsnetTicker Mar 4
    #Leafs fall to 4-17-2 this season when Phil Kessel fails to record a point. They are 28-6-6 when he gets at least 1 point.

Now it's at 30-7-6 when Kessel scores a point, and 6-20-2 when Kessel is off the score sheet.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast