Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Would this fix the whole 1 and done problem in NCAA?

Why not allow these kids to enter the draft but return to school for as long as they want. That way they get the financial security (whenever they choose to enter the L) and they can stay to round out their games and/or obtain a degree.

Is there even a point? Is this even a problem in your opinion? I think the NBA can do as good a job as any college of developing players IMO, tho its prolly not best to have underage/immature kids going on a country trips with NBA vets.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    My opinion is if they want to go pro out of HS, let them. Most of them are 18, and the ones that arent, probably will be soon. Their old enough to do what they want.

If they decide to go to college, they have to stay 3 years. Then they can declare for the draft.
    Go Knicks!

All time

vCash
    I like your idea. Either that or force 2 years. 1 year is just making a mockery of higher level education.

I say let 'em come straight outta HS. I mean the 2 best players of this generation both came out of HS and probably a top 5 guy did as well. Pointing at guys like Curry and saying "they weren't ready" is a stupid exercise because there are plenty of 4 year college guys who don't pan out either.

Every other country you can go pro when your like 12 if your good enough. Olympic athletes might not get paid, but they sure as hell become full time athletes at a very young age.

Is the TRUE problem that we want them to get educated or we don't want to pay them?
    Last edited by D-Leethal; 01-21-2014 at 11:09 AM.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    btw werent college players allowed to do this in the past? can they still do it so long as they dont hire an agent?
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    they should be forced to complete a 4 year degree before entering the league.
    they should also have to pass an exam facilitated by a third party in order to enter the draft.
    i'm so sick of morons getting hundreds of millions of dollars
    but more importantly, the damage it does to younger generations who think if they just play lots of basketball then they'll be rich, so they don't need to go to school, get smarter, or develop their character.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIcedZ View Post
    My opinion is if they want to go pro out of HS, let them. Most of them are 18, and the ones that arent, probably will be soon. Their old enough to do what they want.

If they decide to go to college, they have to stay 3 years. Then they can declare for the draft.
    i agree with this.. but i feel it should be 2 years. In 2 years you get your AA, in 4 you get your Bachelors (usually), so that 3rd year would be pointless.

Similar to how baseball does it... you can go out of HS, or go to College for X amount of years

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by conway429 View Post
    they should also have to pass an exam facilitated by a third party in order to enter the draft.
    but more importantly, the damage it does to younger generations who think if they just play lots of basketball then they'll be rich, so they don't need to go to school, get smarter, or develop their character.
    do you know how hard you have to train your body to get through an 82 game schedule and playoffs?

Also, I truly cant stand people that "dont like that these men make hundreds of millions"

it has nothing to do with the league that these guys make so much, it has to do with fans like you who spend all of your discretionary income watching these guys play this game. The more money that gets brought in annually, the more that gets spread out to the people that are driving the industry.. i dont see what there is to not understand.

vCash
    sorry to triple post, but to the last part, "the damage it does to younger generations who think if they just play lots of basketball then they'll be rich, so they don't need to go to school, get smarter, or develop their character."

How about the kids that live in a very bad area and have no other choice then to play basketball, or else theyll end up in a gang with the rest of their family. Some of these guys arent as bad as you people make them out to be, just very misunderstood guys who caught a really good break and get to enjoy life and take care of their families.

vCash
    I'd say out of high school and 18 is fine, once you go to college you must get your degree or rich 22 years of age before entering the league.

Its not just about financial security you can only get the college experience when your young.
    Striving for a kinder, gentler PhillyFaninLA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBoy77 View Post
    do you know how hard you have to train your body to get through an 82 game schedule and playoffs?

Also, I truly cant stand people that "dont like that these men make hundreds of millions"

it has nothing to do with the league that these guys make so much, it has to do with fans like you who spend all of your discretionary income watching these guys play this game. The more money that gets brought in annually, the more that gets spread out to the people that are driving the industry.. i dont see what there is to not understand.
    calm down dude, I very much understand basic economics.

I don't have a problem with athletes making hundreds of millions of dollars, what I said I had a problem with was morons making hundreds of millions of dollars.

And that for every 1 player who makes it to the NBA and gets paid, there's 20,000 failures who now have no education and become a drain on society (welfare, crime, etc)

Every kid grows up thinking they can "make it", but if "making it" involves absolutely no academic achievement, then there's no motivation to ever better yourself. And then when you don't "make it" you have a bunch of bums who have wasted their lives and have absolutely nothing to contribute to society.

The standard is far too low to become a multi-million dollar celebrity professional athlete

vCash
    I think any pro athlete should have to obtain a full 4 year college degree before coming into the pros, just like the majority of other high paying jobs in America require a degree. It'll mature them out and maybe change the fact that more than 60% of nba ballers and 78% of nfl players become bankrupt upon leaving their respective leagues.
    My Ignore list: Naps, bucketss, iknowhoops....

2014 Adopt a Packer
    Randall Cobb

Receptions: 11
    Yards: 97
    Tds: 3

vCash
    I hate one and done and I hate that high schoolers can't get drafted. It's been a drop off in superstar talent since the rule was implemented. College is not for everyone. The league could be missing out on some great talent, who stop pursuing their dream because of the college factor. I say highschoolers should be allowed to be drafted. However, if you decide to go to college, there should be a required two year commitment to the program before entering the NBA.

GO LAKERS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeboy1487 View Post
    I hate one and done and I hate that high schoolers can't get drafted. It's been a drop off in superstar talent since the rule was implemented. College is not for everyone. The league could be missing out on some great talent, who stop pursuing their dream because of the college factor. I say highschoolers should be allowed to be drafted. However, if you decide to go to college, there should be a required two year commitment to the program before entering the NBA.
    If a player who coming out of high school was going to be a superstar at 18 as an NBA player, I REALLY do not believe 1 year of college will effect his game so much that they could no longer be a NBA superstar. I disagree 100% with the rule being the cause for less superstars in the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by conway429 View Post
    You can't be serious. And what do you say to the LeBron James who gets a career-ending injury in college and never cashes in on the millions he would have made in the NBA?

There should be no limitation. Let middle school kids declare for the NBA Draft for all I care. If they are good enough, let them make the decision for themselves.

vCash
    A "two and shoo" program would suffice

Joking aside,

Teams should be able to draft players when they want to, but if they don't declare out of high-school, then they should be required to stay in the college for 3 years in order to get their degree.

The team which drafted they player would still retain the rights to the player and could assist them in maintaining finances for school/homelife (E.g. like maybe pay them like 200 or 300k per year in order to retain their rights).

After they complete the years in college, then the team can sign them to the entry level deals.
    Of course, teams could also trade away their rights to these players in other deals.

On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast