Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Kobe's take on a number of issues with the NBA today

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?story...7&city=chicago

Kobe on how the rules have changed the game:

"It's more of a finesse game," Bryant said before the Lakers played the Chicago Bulls on Monday. "It's more small ball, which, personally, I don't really care much for. I like kind of smash-mouth, old-school basketball because that's what I grew up watching. I also think it's much, much less physical. Some of the flagrant fouls that I see called nowadays, it makes me nauseous. You can't touch a guy without it being a flagrant foul."

Kobe on hand-checking:

"I like the contact," Bryant said. "As a defensive player, if you enjoy playing defense, that's what you want. You want to be able to put your hands on a guy. You want to be able to hand check a little bit. The truth is, it makes the game [where] players have to be more skillful. Nowadays, literally anybody can get out there and get to the basket and you can't touch anybody. Back then, if guys put their hands on you, you had to have the skill to be able to go both ways, change direction, post up, you had to have a mid-range game because you didn't want to go all the way to the basket because you would get knocked *** over tea kettle. So I think playing the game back then required much more skill."

On One and Done:

"We probably see players that came out of high school were much more successful on average than players that went to college for a year," Bryant said. "It seems like the system really isn't teaching players anything when they go to college. You go to college, you play, you're showcased and you come to the pros. That's always been the big argument: As a player, you have to go to college, you have to develop your skills and so forth and so on and then come to the league. So, we kind of got sold on that, sold on that dream a little bit and, fortunately, I didn't really listen too much to it. Neither did KG [Kevin Garnett], neither did LeBron [James] and that worked out pretty well for our careers."

On passing the torch:

"I've never looked at it as the torch is being passed," Bryant said. "Even when the Magic [Johnson], Michael [Jordan] or [Larry] Bird, that kind of transition from Dr. J [Julius Erving], as a kid growing up I always looked at it as athletes represent different things. It's like what Magic represents to the game, what Bird represents to the game is different than what Michael represents to the game. It's not the same torch. They're picking up their own thing and they're carrying their own generation their own way.

"So, I don't look at it as a passing of the torch. I look at it as different athletes doing different things. What LeBron does is different than what KD [Kevin Durant] does. What they both do is different than what I do and so forth and so on."

On his chances of playing for the USA, with a parting shot to Pau:

"Nope," Bryant said. "I'll go and spectate. Maybe I'll go watch Pau [Gasol] win another silver."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamShaker View Post
    http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?story...7&city=chicago

Kobe on how the rules have changed the game:

"It's more of a finesse game," Bryant said before the Lakers played the Chicago Bulls on Monday. "It's more small ball, which, personally, I don't really care much for. I like kind of smash-mouth, old-school basketball because that's what I grew up watching. I also think it's much, much less physical. Some of the flagrant fouls that I see called nowadays, it makes me nauseous. You can't touch a guy without it being a flagrant foul."

Kobe on hand-checking:

"I like the contact," Bryant said. "As a defensive player, if you enjoy playing defense, that's what you want. You want to be able to put your hands on a guy. You want to be able to hand check a little bit. The truth is, it makes the game [where] players have to be more skillful. Nowadays, literally anybody can get out there and get to the basket and you can't touch anybody. Back then, if guys put their hands on you, you had to have the skill to be able to go both ways, change direction, post up, you had to have a mid-range game because you didn't want to go all the way to the basket because you would get knocked *** over tea kettle. So I think playing the game back then required much more skill."

On One and Done:

"We probably see players that came out of high school were much more successful on average than players that went to college for a year," Bryant said. "It seems like the system really isn't teaching players anything when they go to college. You go to college, you play, you're showcased and you come to the pros. That's always been the big argument: As a player, you have to go to college, you have to develop your skills and so forth and so on and then come to the league. So, we kind of got sold on that, sold on that dream a little bit and, fortunately, I didn't really listen too much to it. Neither did KG [Kevin Garnett], neither did LeBron [James] and that worked out pretty well for our careers."

On passing the torch:

"I've never looked at it as the torch is being passed," Bryant said. "Even when the Magic [Johnson], Michael [Jordan] or [Larry] Bird, that kind of transition from Dr. J [Julius Erving], as a kid growing up I always looked at it as athletes represent different things. It's like what Magic represents to the game, what Bird represents to the game is different than what Michael represents to the game. It's not the same torch. They're picking up their own thing and they're carrying their own generation their own way.

"So, I don't look at it as a passing of the torch. I look at it as different athletes doing different things. What LeBron does is different than what KD [Kevin Durant] does. What they both do is different than what I do and so forth and so on."

On his chances of playing for the USA, with a parting shot to Pau:

"Nope," Bryant said. "I'll go and spectate. Maybe I'll go watch Pau [Gasol] win another silver."
    I wonder if there are any players that actually like the "softer" league nowadays. Still, interesting to see Kobe talk about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kobe4thewinbang View Post
    I wonder if there are any players that actually like the "softer" league nowadays. Still, interesting to see Kobe talk about it.
    He also said elite players are good regardless of the rules, but it is interesting he said it takes less skill to play these days. I wonder which guys he has in mind?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamShaker View Post
    He also said elite players are good regardless of the rules, but it is interesting he said it takes less skill to play these days. I wonder which guys he has in mind?
    Maybe little guys that can get buckets in the paint without getting clobbered like Iverson. Or shooters that aren't much outside of shooting 3's.

vCash
    I didn't particularly agree with many of these takes. For one, the lack of hand checking and the "soft" play of today's NBA are the same things Kobe has dealt with for almost a decade. The guy has played most of his career in this supposedly "soft" era and, one could argue, has benefited from it as much as any player over the last decade.

Secondly, I've always been a proponent that players should have to go to college for at least two seasons. It has nothing to do with talent as much as it does maturity. Not only will it help develop a young player's game, but college is where so many boys become men. I think you'd have a lot less immaturity from young players in the league if most guys stayed in college a little longer.

However, I really enjoyed how he debunked the whole "passing the torch" crap. Fans and media like everything in sports to be wrapped up in neat packages with stars passing on their stardom to the next set of NBA players. But it's never like that. Different guys play the game differently, with different intentions, motivations and goals.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Lakers will make the playoffs this year and my bold prediction is they finish higher than the Rockets.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdymez View Post
    And Lebron puts up great numbers, your right. Debate over. You win. Lebron is the greatest

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I didn't particularly agree with many of these takes. For one, the lack of hand checking and the "soft" play of today's NBA are the same things Kobe has dealt with for almost a decade. The guy has played most of his career in this supposedly "soft" era and, one could argue, has benefited from it as much as any player over the last decade.
    I think Kobe is reaching, but he did play in the early 2000s when some hard fouls and whatnot were still going on. He also got hit a lot during the war with the Phoenix Suns, no fouls called.

vCash
    so soft
    Retro Sim League OKC Thunder

Van Exel - Mobley - Lewis - McDyess - Ming
    '00 - '01 = 51-31 (3rd Seed - Second Round Exit)
    '01 - '02 = 38-44 (9th Seed)
    '02 - '03 = 55-27 (5th Seed First Round Exit)
    '03 - '04 = 70-12 (1st Seed - Finals Heartbreak?!?!?)
    '04 - '05 = 58-24 (3rd Seed - WCF Loss )
    '05 - '06 = 7-1 (ROAD TO REDEMPTION)

vCash
    Kobe is 100% spot on. NBA is ****ing weak right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ThuglifeJ View Post
    Kobe is 100% spot on. NBA is ****ing weak right now.
    I can't imagine Rose, Westbrook and Curry shooting this much back in the day. Those little guys would get hammered.

These little point guards wouldn't stand a chance.

vCash
    Kobe is right but he acting like he hasnt benefited greatly by the way the game is played now

#KNICKS TAPED PLAYOFFS 2013

vCash
    I thought hand checking was eliminated around 2004. Just because it helped Kobe doesn't mean he likes the rule. Some people are little pansies like that.

Isn't it ironic that as soon as the game opened up all of sudden the 3pt shot exploded? Small ball was born? The mid range wing game started to die? And big men stopped winning MVP's?

The softer league is just that, a league for the smaller guys to get to the rim without getting hurt.

vCash
    Let's not forget about carrying the ball being allowed, which Kobe does more obvious than anybody/most.

vCash
    Win another silver lol
    If loving the raiders is wrong then I dont wanna be right!!!!!
    Prosportsdaily where we fight and cheer for the same team
    At the same time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by curtcocaine View Post
    Win another silver lol
    If only Gasol played that hard every night for the Lakers, though he has had 20+ two games in a row, I believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NetsPaint View Post
    Let's not forget about carrying the ball being allowed, which Kobe does more obvious than anybody/most.
    Every player does. Games would be impossible if correct pivoting and whatnot was required.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast