Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Alderson: Duda OF work should continue

Lucas Duda's outfield work apparently is not over.

As long as Ike Davis also is in camp, GM Sandy Alderson expects Duda will continue to get exposure in the outfield, which Duda never has enjoyed.

"As of today, I would expect Lucas to get some time in the outfield, but that will be decided just before spring training," Alderson said.

Duda started 58 games in left field last season -- but none after returning from Triple-A Las Vegas in late August.

Duda and Davis both could break camp with the Mets if Davis is not traded, even though Duda has a minor-league option remaining.

Having Duda's lefty bat for the bench, and giving him limited exposure to the outfield, seems to make more sense than the minors. Duda also could serve as the designated hitter when the Mets play in Anaheim from April 11-13.

Duda has not settled with the Mets on a 2014 contract, but the midpoint of his request and the Mets' offer is $1.625 million -- a steep cost for a minor leaguer.

With Duda, the Mets' 2014 bench right now might also include Anthony Recker, Josh Satin, Omar Quintanilla and the Eric Young Jr./Juan Lagares non-starter. Duda would be the only lefty-hitting power threat of that group. Actually, the most legitimate power threat, period.

"It is possible both could be on the Opening Day roster," Alderson said about Duda and Davis.
    ESPN

vCash
    The only work Duda should do in the outfield is mowing the grass.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eltwo View Post
    The only work Duda should do in the outfield is mowing the grass.
    He'd probably break his other wrist tripping over the lawnmower.

vCash
    Magoo gets his wish--to see the effects of the Magoo Factor over a larger sample size.

vCash
    I think this makes sense actually. Duda is going to be on the bench, he's not going to be playing much 1B, so OF is the only logical spot for him to play.

He will be given very limited exposure out there and he'll be used mostly as our primary lefty pinch hitter off the bench. As long as Ike is the 1B, this is the way it will be. If Ike bombs it again in the beginning of the season, they'll probably sell low on him or dump him outright.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post
    Magoo gets his wish--to see the effects of the Magoo Factor over a larger sample size.
    Magoo has said many time that Duda in LF is a real possibility in 2014. It's not really my wish, but I knew the team was going to look at all possibilities for increased offense.

While some people have accused me of ignoring defense, I believe the Mets brass is willing to sacrafice defense for offense at certain positions.

Personally, I would prefer not to see Duda in the OF at all, but definitely not in Gee's starts. I'm hoping to see the Magoo factor become a real thing.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    The words "Duda in the outfield" should never be posted in this forum right after dinner.

Ever.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    If we're going to be a big market team going forward then we need to stop hearing crap like this. Hopefully this was just an attempt (in vain) to raise his trade value.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYG+Braves
    Im a Braves fan and im scared to face Harvey way more then Strasburgh. Lol strasburgh dont scare me at all compared to Harvey.

vCash
    Sadly, it make sense from an offensive perspective because Young is a RH bat who is better against LHP ( career .364 wOBA, 121 wRC+) and Duda is vice versa (career .354 wOBA, 127 wRC+) . It won't be a straight platoon but it's possible.

I'll cross my fingers this isn't what happens though because Duda's defense essentially neutralizes his value.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-20-2014 at 09:35 PM.

vCash
    its like the mets lost a game of musical chairs where they controlled the music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    its like the mets lost a game of musical chairs where they controlled the music.
    This is a very depressing analogy.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Duda and Young will definitely NOT be platooning. Sandy understands that outfield defense is very important.

I don't see Duda making more than 15-20 starts in the OF. That's not enough to do damage to the team imo.

As it stands right now, this looks like the best lineup and bench:

1) Murphy, 2B
    2) Davis, 1B
    3) Wright, 3B
    4) Grandy, LF
    5) Young, RF
    6) d'Arnaud, C
    7) Lagares, CF
    8) Tejada, SS

Bench: Duda(1B/OF), EYJ(2B/OF), Quintanilla(SS), Satin(1B/3B), and Recker(C). Two lefty bats(Duda/Q), two righty bats(Satin/Recker), and a switch-hitting 4th OF(EYJ).

Beating a dead horse here, but Drew really changes the top and bottom of this order and makes the pieces fit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Duda and Young will definitely NOT be platooning. Sandy understands that outfield defense is very important.

I don't see Duda making more than 15-20 starts in the OF. That's not enough to do damage to the team imo.

As it stands right now, this looks like the best lineup and bench:

1) Murphy, 2B
    2) Davis, 1B
    3) Wright, 3B
    4) Grandy, LF
    5) Young, RF
    6) d'Arnaud, C
    7) Lagares, CF
    8) Tejada, SS

Bench: Duda(1B/OF), EYJ(2B/OF), Quintanilla(SS), Satin(1B/3B), and Recker(C). Two lefty bats(Duda/Q), two righty bats(Satin/Recker), and a switch-hitting 4th OF(EYJ).

Beating a dead horse here, but Drew really changes the top and bottom of this order and makes the pieces fit.
    He really does, doesn't he? Because looking at your lineup, I came to this conclusion: it looks ridiculous. Yet, oddly, it also looks like one of the best lineups they could put out there.

Must sign Drew.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYG+Braves
    Im a Braves fan and im scared to face Harvey way more then Strasburgh. Lol strasburgh dont scare me at all compared to Harvey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    He really does, doesn't he? Because looking at your lineup, I came to this conclusion: it looks ridiculous. Yet, oddly, it also looks like one of the best lineups they could put out there.

Must sign Drew.
    Definitely. This team doesn't have a legitimate leadoff hitter which makes things funky. As it stands right now, Murphy is the most realistic candidate right now with his hitting ability vs. RHP and mediocre at best power.

Ike for now is the starting 1B. He had a .449 OBP in the 2nd half last year(insane 23.2 BB%), and anything above .350 would be very good hitting in front of Wright, Granderson, and Young who all have good power. Granderson could have been a decent #2 hitter if he got his OBP up, but Terry already said he would bat behind Wright.

But 5-6-7-8 in the lineup is questionable and most likely below average. Hopefully d'Arnaud could step up and hit #5, but he'll bat #6 in all likelihood until he proves himself at this level. 7-8 could be really bad with Lagares and Tejada.

Even if they sign Drew, he might not bat leadoff either. They could always go:

Murphy/Davis/Wright/Granderson/Young/Drew/d'Arnaud/Lagares or something of that nature.

Murphy/Drew/Wright/Granderson/Davis/Young/d'Arnaud/Lagares could work too.

The latter would probably be a more "traditional" lineup and the team should be strong defensively at least.

vCash
    This may make sense at the start of ST, but it hopefully won't make much sense at the end of ST. Meaning, good to make sure he's prepared in case there's a need, but ideally Ike and Duda won't both be on the 25-man roster.

And yeah we could use Drew, and he wouldn't be an awful choice to lead off: Drew, Murphy, Wright, Granderson, Young, Davis, d'Arnaud, Lagares. With a bench of Tejada, Recker, Satin (or Flores), EYjr, and an outfielder (likely one of Brown, Den Dekker, or Kirk).
    Last edited by acerimusdux; 01-20-2014 at 10:35 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast