Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Goodell: NFL could abolish the extra point

Speaking Monday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league could eventually abolish the extra point.
    "The extra point is almost automatic," Goodell said. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd. So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play." Goodell said the league is intrigued by a proposal that would automatically grant seven points for every touchdown, but still allow teams to try for an eighth point via a traditional offensive play. The catch is that if you fail to convert, the touchdown then becomes worth only six points. Perhaps the most perfunctory play in sports, extra points serve almost no purpose at the professional level.
    Thoughts?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    But what will pick-6's be called then?!

vCash
    i like it.

vCash
    In the end, who cares? But, this is another proposal that will take the foot out of football.

As far as taking a point away if you don't make the play, ridiculous in the extreme!
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Dumb. These few missed extra points in the past have costed chances to get a playoff spot. Stop, Goodell, just stop.

vCash
    DON'T! I'm not gonna ever forget that kicker that missed the extra point kick and eliminated his team.

Or the Romo debacle lol
    On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

vCash
    I don't think it's that bad of an idea if you ask me.
    A famous quote on PSD, from the one, the only;

CCRider

I hate to break it to ya like this amigo but nobody here is really too concerned with what you want like or need....ok? If a thread isn't for you do like everyone else, walk on by...ok?

vCash
    Or maybe there should be a stipulation, if the "extra point" would tie the game, you have to kick it.

CCRider

I hate to break it to ya like this amigo but nobody here is really too concerned with what you want like or need....ok? If a thread isn't for you do like everyone else, walk on by...ok?

vCash
    Today I believe I would like to see the goal post changed to a narrow extra point goal post within the standard set. The extra point goal post would be narrowed to reach a 90% completion rate on extra points. Further, I would like to see the ball spot moved up to the 1 1/2 yard line instead of the 2. Change the goal posts.

Next week I might think this is a lousy idea. I believe the goal post idea was floated here by another poster in the past. Today I believe it is a good idea.
    Last edited by subroc; 01-20-2014 at 06:01 PM.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash

Goodell: NFL could abolish the extra point

Don't like this at all. Would make it more exciting from a fan standpoint but wouldn't like this change

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giants73756 View Post
    But what will pick-6's be called then?!
    This is the most important issue

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    I assumed it had something to do with player safety and eliminating a play the is almost pointless. Just like when Gronk got hurt on an extra point, i assumed that's why they wanted to get rid of it. But by the sounds of it Goodell just wants to make a boring play more exciting. I still don't see teams going for 2 all that often anyways.

vCash
    I bet there were more injuries on extra points this year than misses. I agree with this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    I assumed it had something to do with player safety and eliminating a play the is almost pointless. Just like when Gronk got hurt on an extra point, i assumed that's why they wanted to get rid of it. But by the sounds of it Goodell just wants to make a boring play more exciting. I still don't see teams going for 2 all that often anyways.
    It will be the same as it is now, only going for it when you have to.

I wonder how many times a player has gotten injured on extra point? I do like the idea of a narrower goal post, seeing how anything inside 60 yards is manageable for almost all kickers.

CCRider

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast