Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Prigioni to return, start (?) for Knicks

Bet on it, no way Woody doesn't do this. So much for the FO move of getting Bargs and losing a pick? Ouch! Wouldn't even mind Novak back he opened up the court for Melo at least, that played him in his jock and the court was more open, anyone see that this year?

Prigioni to return, start (?) for Knicks

January, 19, 2014
    Jan 19

7:39

PM ET

By Ian Begley | ESPNNewYork.com

Pablo Prigioni will probably return to the lineup Monday against Brooklyn. And he may be starting.

“We’ve had some success, as you recall last year, with playing [Prigioni] and Raymond [Felton] both and Melo back at the 4,” Mike Woodson said Sunday. “I’m not opposed to going back small based on what other teams do.”

Jason Kidd and the Nets have played a smaller lineup of late, with Paul Pierce at power forward. So Woodson may match up by inserting Prigioni into the starting five.

This move would shift Carmelo Anthony to power forward and move Andrea Bargnani to the bench. Anthony thrived playing primarily at power forward last season, leading the league in scoring at 28.7 points per game.

This season, Anthony has played 32 percent of the Knicks' minutes at small forward and 41 percent at power forward, according to 82games.com. His numbers are better at small forward, which could be a sign of the failures of the Knicks’ supporting cast rather than anything Anthony’s not doing.

Last season, the Knicks were at their best in the regular season with Prigioni and Raymond Felton in the backcourt.

New York went 15-1 when Prigioni and Felton started together and, based on advanced statistics, the ball seemed to move better when Prigioni was on the floor.

The Knicks scored 5.2 more points per 100 possessions last season with Prigioni, who has missed the past 16 games with a broken toe, on the court. The Knicks' assist rate, or percentage of plays that ended in an assist, was 6.8 percent higher when Prigioni was on the floor last season.

Woodson acknowledged on Sunday that a smaller lineup may help the Knicks’ shooting.

“That was kind of us last year with all the shooters and how we spread it and had Melo at the 4. So we’ll see how it goes,” he said.

If Woodson goes with a small starting lineup on Monday, it will be interesting to see if last season’s results are duplicated.

The coach had been committed to playing a front line of Anthony, Bargnani and Tyson Chandler this season.

But Chandler has been out for 24 games this season due to injury and illness. So the big front line has played only 13 games (and 173 minutes) together. The results haven’t been great.

The Knicks are being outscored by 7.2 points per 48 minutes when Chandler, Bargnani and Anthony share the floor.

Now I can't fly my airplane

vCash
    It makes perfect sense with no Amare and no K-Mart. When they return, I suspect that Melo returns to the 3.
    Last edited by new york blue; 01-19-2014 at 10:08 PM. Reason: proofreading

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by new york blue View Post
    It makes perfect sense with no Amare and no K-Mart. When they return, I suspect that Melo returns to the the 3.
    Pretty sure Woody is referring to permanently going back to the smaller lineup, regardless of weather Amare/Kmart plays.

vCash
    my concern? They both can't cover anyone. Pablo is a gambler and misses more than makes like Shump, but it worked last year so lets see.

Now I can't fly my airplane

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knick_Fever View Post
    Pretty sure Woody is referring to permanently going back to the smaller lineup, regardless of weather Amare/Kmart plays.
    Given that Bargs, Melo and Chandler have played the equivalent of five full games together, I doubt that Woody gives up so easily.

vCash
    Why wouldn't it work? We've already proved it does. Im actually excited about the idea because it will showcase Shump consistently. Im just worried about Woody's bench rotations, and the whole JR smith situation. I still hope we can dump him by the deadline.

vCash
    it worked LAST year. Teams now have a scouting report on Pablo.....dont trap, just sag....he wont shoot even when wide open.

I miss Novak and Cope...couldnt sag off them.

vCash
    Man.. Those Toronto posters were stalkers and trolls, but at the same time, they were right about Bargs. What an awful move he turned out to be...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagged QT View Post
    it worked LAST year. Teams now have a scouting report on Pablo.....dont trap, just sag....he wont shoot even when wide open.

It didn't work last year. Prigs can start the 2 no problem, which is what worked last year. We don't have a need for that.

But he cannot be the primary ball-handler.

vCash
    And yea, Novak was huge for us last year. It showed in his +/- and net48. People focus too much on individual play, like when he made or missed shots, and not impact he had on the 5 MAN UNIT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir13579 View Post
    Man.. Those Toronto posters were stalkers and trolls, but at the same time, they were right about Bargs. What an awful move he turned out to be...
    It was a horrible move right from the beginning. It made absolutely no sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir13579 View Post
    And yea, Novak was huge for us last year. It showed in his +/- and net48. People focus too much on individual play, like when he made or missed shots, and not impact he had on the 5 MAN UNIT.
    A lot of us were against the trade, the front office for the Knicks is inept when it comes to making basketball personal decisions.

You know what I'm not going to blame the front office, I'm going to blame the owner, he is the one making the decisions, becuase anyone with any knowledge of the game does not make half the moves he has okayed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagged QT View Post

If I were the Knicks I would try and reacquire Novak.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by knickerbockerny View Post
    If I were the Knicks I would try and reacquire Novak.
    +1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by knickerbockerny View Post
    A lot of us were against the trade, the front office for the Knicks is inept when it comes to making basketball personal decisions.

You know what I'm not going to blame the front office, I'm going to blame the owner, he is the one making the decisions, becuase anyone with any knowledge of the game does not make half the moves he has okayed.
    Jim Dolan is an idiot. I wasn't exactly weeping to see Novak leave, but to compound that loss by throwing away a first rounder and two second-rounders on a number-one bust with declining skills was insane. And then he vetos a perfectly good trade (and a necessary one) for Kyle Lowry based on the irrational fear that people would think Uriji was getting the best of him! Who does that??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast