Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How would you grade the first-half of the Rockets' season?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • A (A huge success, definitely ready to contend for a title)

1 8.33%
  • B (Better than expected, but still a few things to work on)

1 8.33%
  • C (A solid start, but a lot of things need improvement before they're contenders)

9 75.00%
  • D (A disappointment, nowhere near contention)

1 8.33%
  • F (A complete failure, a ton of changes need to be made)

0 0%
    vCash

Grade the Rockets first-half performance

So now that we're 42 games into the season, the Rockets have passed the half-way point and are sitting at 27-15. There are obviously some things to be pleased about, like the way they've stepped up in big games against Golden State and San Antonio, and the surprising play of Terrence Jones. But then there's the two monumental failures against OKC, the multiple losses against inferior teams and the major inconsistencies on both ends of the floor from time to time.

For anyone who's curious, the Rockets were 21-21 at this time last season, so a 6-game improvement is pretty impressive. But Houston is still sitting at only 5th in the conference, they have only a 1-game lead on Golden State and a 3-game lead on Dallas, and their 3.3-point win differential is hardly impressive.

So, how would you grade the Rockets' first-half of the season? Where do you see improvements that need to be made? And how do you see the second half of the season playing out?

vCash
    Don't pot here much anymore but, I'm bored right now. I voted C but I'm closer to D than B. My 2 biggest problems are Mchale and our bench. Mchale seems to have no idea what he's doing. I'd really like to see some stats on plays out of timeouts because I'm pretty sure we're averaging around .003 points per out of bounds plays out of a timeout and our rotations are pretty questionable and he seems to hate Lin for some reason and doesn't seem to care that Harden likes to take pull up 3's even though he shoots 15% on them. And our bench may be the worst in the playoffs this year. When we're 100% healthy we have Lin/Beverley and Asik. I don't think nyone else would get playing time on a good team. Garcia is expectedly trash and Casspi had a good start but now he's awful. Brooks is a decent 3rd PG that got forced into action. Dmo has some bright spots but has been consistently awful on defense. Greg Smith is always hurt but he doesn't provide anything offensively. I think to become a real title contender we need to overhaul our bench and find a good coach. I think the best course of action is to try to trade Asik for a couple of guys that can score off the bench and maybe get a pick thrown in there

vCash
    C for sure.
    Coaching can get better. I think Mchale can make better play calls and also get in guys face more, hes always calm he has to put his foot down a bit more. Harden and Howard need to be better leaders and make better plays . I think we should honestly just trade lin for anything at this point , i dont see him finishing the season as a stater or 6th man his play is horrible plus we all know brooks is better. Parsons has yet to develop a go to move he really needs too work on one. Garcia and Casspi are shooters so at times they'll look great at other times theyll look like scrubs hopefully they get hot for the playoffs. DEFENSE is our biggest problem

vCash
    About a B. The rockets are about we're I expected them to be. I have always said this will be a feeling out year and assessment of what the rockets need. Next season onwards is the rockets real run. Second round should be the goal this season. Anything more will be a bonus

vCash
    I chose C. Their defense has to get better, they need to keep throwing Dwight the ball and Garcia and Casspi have to stop sucking ***, especially Garcia. That guy was light out last year when he was here. Now when he hits a three I just think "Well, that's his one three of the game". I can't remember the last time I was surprised with another three. Some kind of trade needs to happen or they'll get beat by The Clippers or Golden State or somebody in the first round and it'll be 1/3 of Howard's time here wasted (he has an optout after 3, right?).

Quote Originally Posted by farren.louis View Post
    Parsons has yet to develop a go to move he really needs too work on one.
    Parsons has that Fake A Three Than Roll Past With A Layup Or Uncontested 15 Footer move that's been working well lately. TJones has even been using it pretty well.

vCash
    I sarcastically voted A. I feel like Taylor Mays covered everything I feel about this team though.

vCash
    It's an easy C, probably closer ro a B than a D, because there's a huge gap from C to D.

It feels like we're in crisis, and yet we're 27-15, 5th in the West. Not that it matters, but we're the 7th best team in the entire league. It's hard to really evaluate this team with all these injuries. Our bench has been awful all season, but we haven't seen much of Lin and Beverley (which worked so good at the end of last season) healthy together, and Asik, we all know the story.

Coaching doesn't come as a surprice, it has made us scratch our heads since last season. We won't and we shouldn't fire McHale until the season is over, but if we do, I'd like to see a more traditional style of basketball. All people talk about is our fast pace, the Rockers reinventing basketball, and it was cool last season when we were expecting a bottom-5 season before Harden. But with Howard, I feel this team has much more in it than just running and shooting.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    I wonder if George Karl would be any good for this group if McHale cant get these guys to figure it out. I just feel there is no discipline. weve seen really good games and then they just don't show up. or really good to start and then nowhere to be found in the second half. or opposite.