Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

NFL Expansion: 36 teams. What if?

So I have been thinking about the possibilities of what would happen if the NFL brought in 4 expansion teams over the next 10 years. There are a number of cities (even countries) that are hungry for an NFL franchise. I think many of us would be for it but what would that mean for our divisions? We would go from 8 divisions of 4 teams to 8 divisions of 4 and a half??? Hardly makes sense. What I would like to see is a total restructure ala the NBA with an East/West theme. Now, this would inevitably break up some conferences but would also create new rivalries.

First off, my scenario has the Jacksonville Jaguars moving to LA, a city completely in need of an NFL team. Even though the NFL is geared to expand in England, my expansion scenario includes 4 American teams and has the Bills moving to Toronto.

The 1st 2 cities actually gained interest in the sports world during the Katrina catastrophe for both the NFL and the NBA. They are San Antonio and Oklahoma City. Having another Texas team is huge for the NFL and the success of OKC in the NBA would be a clear indicator that its a great sports city with a loud fanbase.

The next city on the list would be a city where every team in the NFL has already been to - Hawaii. The NFL would have the only professional sports organization that would have a team in Hawaii. What this would also bring to the NFL is quite possibly the best city to host a Superbowl from one of it's current franchises. I would welcome the move.

The final location is probably the best football town that has never owned an NFL team of it's own - Portland. Imagine the rivalry potential of Seattle/Portland, 2 cities so close to 1 another. Oregon has the Ducks in college but an NFL team would be a huge deal for the state.

So we have our teams set. The Bills and Jags move to LA and Toronto respectively and to have a little fun lets name our NFL expansion teams: Hawaii Hurricanes, Portland Sharks, San Antonio Outlaws and the Oklahoma City Red Wolves. Next up on the list would be to harmonize the divisions and consolidate from 8 divisions of 4 to 3 divisions of 6. They would be: Norteast, Central, Southeast, Northwest, Midwest and Southwest. Here is how the re-alignment would look:

East:
    Northeast - Bills, Jets, Giants, Patriots, Ravens, Eagles.
    Central - Browns, Bengals, Steelers, Lions, Bears, Colts.
    Southeast - Bucs, Panthers, Falcons, Titans, Dolphins, Redskins.

West:
    Northwest - Seahawks, Sharks, 49ers, Chargers, Raiders, Jaguars.
    Midwest - Packers, Vikings, Broncos, Chiefs, Rams, Red Wolves.
    Southeast - Hurricanes, Outlaws, Cowboys, Texans, Saints, Cardinals.

As you can see there are rivalries that will be affected but new ones created. The final topic to address would be playoff seeding. I will assume the NFL will increase to an 8 team per conference playoff system under the new alignment. I like the way the NBA does it where division winners cannot fall below a 4th seed slot, however a "wild card" may be able to host a home game based on their overall record. The bad thing about an 8 seeding playoff format is that unless I am missing something I can only see 1 logical way this would work - eliminate the 1st round bye entirely. 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5. Re-seeding occurs normally. What are your thoughts about this expansion scenario?
    Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    or go bang your wife
    PSD Lions Forum: Where excellence happens.

vCash
    You got too much time on your hands buddie

Off-season Sucks

vCash
    Like the idea but the nfl will never brake up the bears and packers..

I do like the idea of 6 teams tho..

PSD's Sling Blade and lions forum bouncer

2013 tied for 1st place -PSD(lions forum) NFL pick'em
    2012 Lions draft contest winner
    Lions OTT #2 #3 #16 winner
    2010, 2011, 2012 best argument

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    I'm a Lions fan we aren't allowed to dream of success so I don't let others do so either.

vCash
    I don't like the idea of HI getting team tho.. fule cost would just be to high

PSD's Sling Blade and lions forum bouncer

2013 tied for 1st place -PSD(lions forum) NFL pick'em
    2012 Lions draft contest winner
    Lions OTT #2 #3 #16 winner
    2010, 2011, 2012 best argument

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    I'm a Lions fan we aren't allowed to dream of success so I don't let others do so either.

vCash
    I don't profess to know a lot about the economy of Hawaii but is is possible for them to maintain a football team? Would they attract enough people to go to the games?

I do agree with Toronto eventually getting the Bills. Seems like Buffalo adds a game and another in Toronto each year to test the market there. I imagine at least for the first year it would work out.

vCash
    The thing about expansion that would worry me as a fan is I think we would lose parity. Currently the league is pretty competitive. Even the ****** teams compete against the best week in and week out. If too many teams are added, it could thin out the talent and cause the league to look like the NBA.
    2013 Lions forum rookie poster of the year!

FARTZ has be SCHWIRED!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    The thing about expansion that would worry me as a fan is I think we would lose parity. Currently the league is pretty competitive. Even the ****** teams compete against the best week in and week out. If too many teams are added, it could thin out the talent and cause the league to look like the NBA.
    Teams will be added soon IMO though. LA will be pushing for a team again and the NFL will want that market to have one. They also want to expand into other countries...so would it be a shock to see Mexico or London getting a team in the near future. We could also be looking at NFL expanding into Canada.

vCash
    It would never work in HI. Have you been there? Poor beyond belief.

LA, Toronto & London would probably get teams though. The 4th...not sure. Sault Ste Marie?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RB#20 View Post
    So I have been thinking about the possibilities of what would happen if the NFL brought in 4 expansion teams over the next 10 years. There are a number of cities (even countries) that are hungry for an NFL franchise. I think many of us would be for it but what would that mean for our divisions? We would go from 8 divisions of 4 teams to 8 divisions of 4 and a half??? Hardly makes sense. What I would like to see is a total restructure ala the NBA with an East/West theme. Now, this would inevitably break up some conferences but would also create new rivalries.

First off, my scenario has the Jacksonville Jaguars moving to LA, a city completely in need of an NFL team. Even though the NFL is geared to expand in England, my expansion scenario includes 4 American teams and has the Bills moving to Toronto.

The 1st 2 cities actually gained interest in the sports world during the Katrina catastrophe for both the NFL and the NBA. They are San Antonio and Oklahoma City. Having another Texas team is huge for the NFL and the success of OKC in the NBA would be a clear indicator that its a great sports city with a loud fanbase.

The next city on the list would be a city where every team in the NFL has already been to - Hawaii. The NFL would have the only professional sports organization that would have a team in Hawaii. What this would also bring to the NFL is quite possibly the best city to host a Superbowl from one of it's current franchises. I would welcome the move.

The final location is probably the best football town that has never owned an NFL team of it's own - Portland. Imagine the rivalry potential of Seattle/Portland, 2 cities so close to 1 another. Oregon has the Ducks in college but an NFL team would be a huge deal for the state.

So we have our teams set. The Bills and Jags move to LA and Toronto respectively and to have a little fun lets name our NFL expansion teams: Hawaii Hurricanes, Portland Sharks, San Antonio Outlaws and the Oklahoma City Red Wolves. Next up on the list would be to harmonize the divisions and consolidate from 8 divisions of 4 to 3 divisions of 6. They would be: Norteast, Central, Southeast, Northwest, Midwest and Southwest. Here is how the re-alignment would look:

East:
    Northeast - Bills, Jets, Giants, Patriots, Ravens, Eagles.
    Central - Browns, Bengals, Steelers, Lions, Bears, Colts.
    Southeast - Bucs, Panthers, Falcons, Titans, Dolphins, Redskins.

West:
    Northwest - Seahawks, Sharks, 49ers, Chargers, Raiders, Jaguars.
    Midwest - Packers, Vikings, Broncos, Chiefs, Rams, Red Wolves.
    Southeast - Hurricanes, Outlaws, Cowboys, Texans, Saints, Cardinals.

As you can see there are rivalries that will be affected but new ones created. The final topic to address would be playoff seeding. I will assume the NFL will increase to an 8 team per conference playoff system under the new alignment. I like the way the NBA does it where division winners cannot fall below a 4th seed slot, however a "wild card" may be able to host a home game based on their overall record. The bad thing about an 8 seeding playoff format is that unless I am missing something I can only see 1 logical way this would work - eliminate the 1st round bye entirely. 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5. Re-seeding occurs normally. What are your thoughts about this expansion scenario?
    First of all... I appreciate all the time & effort into making a thread like this.

I like the idea of expansion both in the league & playoffs. A problem I worry about is over saturation of the nfl & more importantly a drop in product quality. 6 more teams 6 more rosters, that's another 318 players in the nfl. Look at Jacksonville, Oakland, Houston, could you imagine adding more hideous team to watch? Or giving a lesser talent pool to select from?

I love the nfl, more so than any other professional sports, that being said I think teams will move from one city to another, and playoffs expanded, but I don't see more teams added anytime soon.

1) Chargers move to L.A. Makes sense to me, it's about 2 hours away & they wouldn't lose much fan base.
    2) bills to Toronto was a great suggestion
    3) Jacksonville moves to London
    4) maybe a team in Mexico to complete "globalization" of the nfl?

Now, if these global moves were to happen THEN I could see new teams being added as a new generation of football fans are created. Kids following their teams in England, Mexico & Canada would have more interest in football & "dream of playing in the NFL". That will open our talent pool up as we will be more accessible to more fans. At that point I could see more teams being added.
    Don't just read our posts, JOIN US! click here
    2011 AND 2012 JWE & Strives Lions prediction game Champion
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10, #12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    NFL = Mexico?

no way

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    NFL = Mexico?

no way
    **** no Mexico... Thats insane.

And Hawaii dont even have Hurricanes do they?

Im ok with the Southern part of Canada but I dont want any foreign teams personally.. Then were going to have Gustovs and Blastovs and all kinds of crazy people that hardly speak English in the game.. If I wanted to listen to some Tea and Crumpets guy talk after the game id watch Soccer
    Last edited by C-Wick925; 01-19-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Off-season Sucks

vCash
    You all are right about Hawaii. Their economy was a huge oversight on my part. Las Vegas could work better. Speaking of the Jags to London, wasn't it crazy how loud they got for them over there? It's almost as if they know. I don't think the NFL will suffer the same problems as the NBA with the influx of players. The NBA's problem is that there is not enough talent coming out plain and simple. The guys that are put out in the NBA draft are horrible. The teams that are doing poorly in the NFL currently is more self-inflicted than anything. Bad drafting habits, poor management, unqualified coaching choices, terrible gameplan, bad execution. Also, with that many teams now in the league each round would be 36 picks. I'm sure they would eliminate the 7th round entirely therefore restructuring the draft value calculation chart.
    or go bang your wife

vCash
    Jaguars have a home game in London for the next 4 years, Its essentially their "home team", Kahn wanted it that way, Which is smart cause all the people over their are buying Jags gear..

I think its his long term plan to try to move the team there, He owns a soccer team IIRC there.. He signed some type of clause stating the team wouldnt leave for a certain amount of years tho so i doubt i happens soon

Off-season Sucks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Wick925 View Post
    **** no Mexico... Thats insane.

And Hawaii dont even have Hurricanes do they?

Im ok with the Southern part of Canada but I dont want any foreign teams personally.. Then were going to have Gustovs and Blastovs and all kinds of crazy people that hardly speak English in the game.. If I wanted to listen to some Tea and Crumpets guy talk after the game id watch Soccer
    lol they could have pacific hurricanes but it's not a normal thing. Could have Tsunamis too but I figure we can save that for if we expand to Japan. How about Volcanos or Tourists? Yhe Hawaii Tourists haha.
    or go bang your wife

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Wick925 View Post
    Jaguars have a home game in London for the next 4 years, Its essentially their "home team", Kahn wanted it that way, Which is smart cause all the people over their are buying Jags gear..

I think its his long term plan to try to move the team there, He owns a soccer team IIRC there.. He signed some type of clause stating the team wouldnt leave for a certain amount of years tho so i doubt i happens soon
    makes sense, did not know that. My brother is a Jags fan you'd think he would tell me this stuff.
    or go bang your wife

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast