Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 61
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,436
    vCash
    1500

    Reggie Bush Hall of Fame?

    Before you say I'm crazy, consider the numbers. If he has three years left at the pace he's set since joining Miami (reasonable, as they would be his age 29, 30 and 31 seasons and Detroit is set up well to keep him healthy and productive) and let's say two more years afterwards in which he slides into a more specialized role (entirely possible as well, LT, Marshall Faulk and Roger Craig all at least managed to play productively into those years with similar styles even if they were better players, and they had much more wear and tear than Bush), he would have around the following numbers:

    8,500-9000 rushing yards, 4.3 YPC (current number), 45-50 rushing TD
    550-600 receptions, 7.6 YPR (current number), 4000-4500 receiving yards, 23-27 receiving TD
    4 punt return TD

    Again, that assumes fair health for several years, but those numbers are awfully similar to Roger Craig's, even slightly better:

    8,189 rushing yards, 4.1 YPC, 56 rushing TD
    566 receptions, 8.7 YPR, 4,911 receiving yards, 17 rushing TD
    0 Kick/punter return TD

    I know that Craig isn't actually in the HOF, but he's someone often cited as a snub who deserves to get in. Now let's compare him to a few guys defined by the NFL as modern era players who ARE in the HoF

    Floyd Little:

    6,323 rushing yards, 3.9 YPC, 43 rushing TD
    215 receptions, 11.2 YPR, 2,418 receiving yards, 9 receiving TD
    2 KR/PR TDs

    Larry Csonka:

    8,081 rushing yards, 4.3 YPC, 64 rushing TD
    106 receptions, 7.7 YPR, 820 receiving yards, 4 receiving TD
    0 KR/PR TD

    Though neither played the same game that Bush plays, both at least played in the post-merger NFL and are pretty widely agreed upon as HoFers. In addition, all three players had far more stability in their careers than Bush. Little played his entire career for one organization (even if it was a then-bad one), while Csonka and Craig had the advantages of playing for very good teams. Though playing offense for Sean Payton is obviously beneficial for most parties involved, there's no arguing that it tends to hurt the stats of anyone not named Drew Brees. Bush actually improved after leaving New Orleans, and has pretty definitively proven that he can be productive anywhere. Though, if you're into that sorta thing, he does have a Super Bowl ring, a nice cherry on top of any HoF resumé.

    Now I'm not saying that I think Reggie Bush, even if he stays healthy and productive beyond base expectations, is a Hall of Famer. I'm merely posing the question. At the very least, I think we can all agree that we do sorely underrate Bush just because he didn't turn into Faulk/LT/Sayers like everyone expected.
    We're better than you
    And we know it


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,008
    vCash
    1500
    No.

    Close thread please.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    14,548
    vCash
    1500
    I don't think so.. but shouldn't be written off either

    PSD's Sling Blade and lions forum bouncer

    2013 tied for 1st place -PSD(lions forum) NFL pick'em
    2012 Lions draft contest winner
    Lions OTT #2 #3 #16 #22 winner
    2010, 2011, 2012 best argument


    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    I'm a Lions fan we aren't allowed to dream of success so I don't let others do so either.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    2,339
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVicster View Post
    No.

    Close thread please.
    This

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kris Medlen's Bed
    Posts
    10,284
    vCash
    1500

    Reggie Bush Hall of Fame?

    Crazy but if he can put up 3 monster years he would have some interesting numbers


    The Cult of Gattis

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    9/13/14: #Mayhem (While Pacman fights Algieri in China. lol)
    Posts
    28,742
    vCash
    11507
    I don't see why it's out of the question, he could absolutely make it.


    Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

    lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana


    Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    10,819
    vCash
    1500

    Reggie Bush Hall of Fame?

    No

    Michael Wacha

    5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,281
    vCash
    1500
    No

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Down Yonder
    Posts
    9,692
    vCash
    1500
    No. He just doesnt have much impact on the game. He had a few good games a year but really never became that guy everyone saw him becoming coming out of USC. I think it would be a shame for him to and not a guy like TD who while he played made a huge impact.

    Me and my Boy.
    No halo.
    Thank you PSD for your support and prayers.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,436
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddyburch View Post
    No. He just doesnt have much impact on the game. He had a few good games a year but really never became that guy everyone saw him becoming coming out of USC. I think it would be a shame for him to and not a guy like TD who while he played made a huge impact.
    Well this raises two interesting questions:

    1. How much should expectations play into HoF voting? Should one player have a better shot than another with the same credentials because he wasn't expected to do as well?

    2. What's the formula for peak vs. longevity? TD might've had the best three-year stretch of any RB in NFL history. But that's ALL he has. Would you rather have that, or, say, 10 years of consistently above-average production?

    For the former, my inherent belief is that they shouldn't, but I see why outside of a vacuum they would. For the latter, I look at it the same way I'd look at building a team. If presented with the two careers, which would I rather have for my team knowing what is going to happen? I'd have to think about it. Having TD for three years basically at least ensures you a playoff spot, and a good team with him makes you a contender. But having someone like Bush for a decade adds so much to your team for so long. It's an interesting question.
    We're better than you
    And we know it


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,751
    vCash
    1500
    Reggie Bush has never been considered one of the best backs in his generation. The entire argument posed is based on career-long stat compiling. Considering that, and the fact that football players are far from having full control over their individual stats, this argument is basically brain dead.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Left
    Posts
    13,507
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremiahWing View Post
    Reggie Bush has never been considered one of the best backs in his generation. The entire argument posed is based on career-long stat compiling. Considering that, and the fact that football players are far from having full control over their individual stats, this argument is basically brain dead.
    You make some good points.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,360
    vCash
    1500
    hell no

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Down Yonder
    Posts
    9,692
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnsanity:27823417
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddyburch View Post
    No. He just doesnt have much impact on the game. He had a few good games a year but really never became that guy everyone saw him becoming coming out of USC. I think it would be a shame for him to and not a guy like TD who while he played made a huge impact.
    Well this raises two interesting questions:

    1. How much should expectations play into HoF voting? Should one player have a better shot than another with the same credentials because he wasn't expected to do as well?

    2. What's the formula for peak vs. longevity? TD might've had the best three-year stretch of any RB in NFL history. But that's ALL he has. Would you rather have that, or, say, 10 years of consistently above-average production?

    For the former, my inherent belief is that they shouldn't, but I see why outside of a vacuum they would. For the latter, I look at it the same way I'd look at building a team. If presented with the two careers, which would I rather have for my team knowing what is going to happen? I'd have to think about it. Having TD for three years basically at least ensures you a playoff spot, and a good team with him makes you a contender. But having someone like Bush for a decade adds so much to your team for so long. It's an interesting question.
    My thought on Bush is over all contribution. Yes he has helped his teams but he hasnt been "the guy". When you look at a guy like Sporles I feel Sproles has had a much bigger impact for his team.

    As for TD I would take his three years over Bush's whole career. I feel TD will someday make it in. As great as Elway was he needed TD to win his rings. That is impact. To me when you have been the focus of 2 rings 2k yards in a season MVP and SB MVP IMO that should earn you the HOF at some time. Much like it did for Sayers and Little.

    Me and my Boy.
    No halo.
    Thank you PSD for your support and prayers.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,008
    vCash
    1500
    I'd vote for Lydell Mitchell before I'd ever vote for Bush.

    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...M/MitcLy00.htm

    Mitchell was a dominant force in his time, unlike Bush, and a true multi threat in a time when that was kind of rare for a back.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •