Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by craig13 View Post
    ...Rodon-Hoffman-Beede-Turner-Jackson-Kolek makes six, not five. So if McLeod literally has "only" five rather than six on his current top tier, which one of those six would you guess is NOT included?..
    This is the fun of the draft. Between all the good posters, Rodon seems to be the only guy that everybody assumes is on McLeod's top 5. Will be interesting to see how the spring plays out.

Obviously real teams have their own scouting system, and the Cubs have more actual scouts watching more games by the top 15 candidates that BA, BP, and ESPN put together. The amount of views and cross-checks reviews will be way more extensive. And the number of intelligent voices in the room discussing the pros and cons for each player will be way more extensive than in Wilken drafts past. All the Cubs brass are heavily invested in getting it right with the top pick. MacLeod, Hoyer, Theo, the scouting director, the area scouts, the top cross checkers, Wilken, probably last year's scouting director, probably all of those guys will go to watch some of the main candidates. Or perhaps have video and computer breakdown on all or many of their games, even when they aren't in live attendance.

Hopefully when they identify and rank their top 5-6 guys, they'll know what they are doing. And if they wander from the seeming "industry consensus", it will be because they know better and they are right.

vCash
    Obviously things are extremely fluid, but if the draft were to happen today, who would you expect to be off the board by the time the Cubs pick? I'd imagine a mock today would look something like this

Astros: Rodon(The gap is so huge I don't think there's anyway they pass him up)
    Miami: Hoffman(I'm not so much sold on Hoffman as I'm less sold on the others)
    WSox: Jackson(The need at catcher is dire, but I could also see them go the athleticism route with Gatewood)

vCash
    To be fair, Rodon is obligated to be on there in ways that someone like Hoffman is not. I'm rooting for him to go one because I don't really want the cubs to draft him barring he progresses even more this Spring.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    Why are you assuming Beede is a lock? If the draft were to happen today he likely wouldn't be a top 5 pick and there's a good chance he wouldn't be top 10. Based on past drafts I think it's much more likely he has Gatewood as one of his top 5 seeing as he's already drafted a similar player in Javy Baez. If I had to guess a top 5 it would be Rodon/Hoffman/Kolek/Gatewood/Jackson
    McLeod didn't draft Baez (and, in fact, mentioned that he had no idea what to make of him when he scouted him - that he might not get past AA or might be Manny Ramirez).

vCash
    Interesting Arms later in the draft.
    -Dylan Cease, RHP, Milton HS (GA), No college commitment

Quick Take: One of the top arms early in the summer had his curveball and command back up on him, but regularly sits 93-97 mph with one of the quickest arms in the class.

- Justus Sheffield, LHP, Tullahoma HS (TN), Vanderbilt commit

Quick Take: 6'0 lefty has limited upside but shows plenty of now ability with

- Aaron Nola, RHP, LSU

Quick Take: Super productive (126 IP, 122 K, 18 BB for 1.57 ERA) Friday starter for powerhouse program took the summer off but flashes three above average pitches from low
    - Cameron Varga, RHP, Cincinnati Hills Christian HS (OH), North Carolina commit

Quick Take: Oldest guy in the prep class turns 20 two months after the draft but
    - Nick Burdi, RHP, Louisville

Quick Take: Best college reliever is tough to peg as clubs are more skeptical of that type of player now, but regularly hits 100 mph w
    - Karsten Whitson, RHP, Florida
    Quick Take: One of the biggest wild cards in the class; has a clean bill of health and last fall showed glimpses of stuff that made him #9 overall pick out of high
    We Found Bin Ladedn We found Saddam Hussien, We know who Shot JR. Where the hell is this Plane?????

vCash
    I can't envision Nola being the pick. He's always struck me as a guy who has decent upside, but he's very likely move quickly through the minors. Kind of a poor man's Danny Hultzen. I would think Theo and company would be after a bigger ceiling.

vCash
    I'm interested to see what Whitson does though have no urgento draft him at 4.

vCash
    Give me Alex Jackson at 4. First off, with collisions no longer being a thing, I think it's more likely he stays at C. With the bat he draws Bryce Harper comparisons; the dude can flat out mash. We shouldn't draft for need obviously, but we have absolutely no one behind Wellington, either. Taking a super high upside player at a position of need=win.

Also, being from an SEC school, I'd be alright with taking Tyler Beede, but I don't think he's top 5 worthy. Top 10-15, but he's no Rodon.

Late round guys: Grayson Greiner if he leaves South Carolina would be huge. He's also a catcher. Keaton Steele from Missouri. Was drafted by KC last year and opted to come back to Mizzou. Was First Team All SEC

vCash
    Also, Bryce Montes de Oca from Lawrence KS. 6-8, can hit 100, Missouri commit. Mid round pick that could be a stud

vCash
    Kolek at 4 and whitson with the 2nd pick would be fine by me.
    We Found Bin Ladedn We found Saddam Hussien, We know who Shot JR. Where the hell is this Plane?????

vCash
    I really like what I've read about Trea Turner. ++ speed, strong contact rates, decent walk rates, ~10ish HR power, true shortstop. Sounds almost like a Jose Reyes. If not him I think I'm on Jackson, any time you have a chance to get what looks like a potentially special bat you take it, if he sticks at catcher that's just gravy.

I like our first two drafts. Best position player at 1, and then 7 or 8 of the next 9 picks spent on live arms. The position players that high in the draft are the ones who become stars, whereas get a big enough stable of strong arms and some of them are going to develop command, a third pitch, or w/e.

vCash
    I really like what I've read about Trea Turner. ++ speed, strong contact rates, decent walk rates, ~10ish HR power, true shortstop. Sounds almost like a Jose Reyes. If not him I think I'm on Jackson, any time you have a chance to get what looks like a potentially special bat you take it, if he sticks at catcher that's just gravy.
    These two with a shout to Braxton Davidson are really the hitters to watch for 4. Gatewood probably isn't as good as some recent top SS prospects, but I guess in early February you give the benefit of the doubt.

vCash
    Wouldn't mind grabbing two pitchers with our first two picks. I'd like Beede, Hoffman, or Cederoth in the first, and then maybe go with a younger pitcher in the 2nd round. I think some realistic options that I would be in favor of are Sean Reid-Foley, Cobi Johnson, Alex Verdugo, Mac Marshall, and Keaton McKinney.

Also wouldn't be opposed to Turner or Jackson with the first pick, but I just think they'll try to pick someone who can move quickly and be part of the wave of talent coming to the Cubs in the next two years.
    Last edited by Cubsfan365; 02-03-2014 at 11:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Hoffman has a weird hitch in his delivery I don't care for. Seems like it causes his fastball to stay up and he has trouble locating it lower in the zone. Maybe I'm just bullshiting off of youtube clips.
    Good eye, I hadn't noticed that. Upon looking again it does appear that he drops his arm straight down before slinging it forward. It'll be interesting to see if he can clean that up this year.

I'm a little leery of that as well as the strikeouts thing
    That doesn't bother me as much, everyone was worried about Appel's strikeout numbers going into his senior year and he turned out fine....Not that I'm saying he is as talented as Appel, just that low K's for a pitcher don't bother me.

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast