Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

2014 Pre-Draft Discussion 1.0

Since there's already some talk in other threads, may as well give it all a home. For those who want to start familiarizing themselves with names, early lists/rankings are starting to be published: MLB, BA, etc.

The draft begins Thursday, June 5.

The Cubs select 4th overall. For the complete order, click here.

vCash
    Tyler kolek or bede would be lovely would love for kolek to be a fast riser
    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    As long as, by fast-riser, you don't use it in an old-regime fashion. Complete games in Boise in 2015, and all. Tyler Kolek is my pick, as of today, as long as he seems BPA. The coaches are ready. The facilities in Mesa are ready. Bring me an ace.

vCash
    One of the things that worries me about Kolek is the weight. It worked ok for CC, but I still. At this early point for me it is Beade/Turner but really early.

vCash
    Valid concern, but I don't think he's out of shape, just big. And really raw.

Get him in baseball shape 24/7, and beware. More concerned on Turner being more than a slap hitter.

vCash
    I'm with Tim on Kolek over Turner. Kolek seems like he's got some really huge upside, and while he's a bit more risky, simply being a pitcher, I think the team can afford to go with a bit of a risk based on upside with the level the minor league system is at right now.
    #ClutchTime

vCash
    I don't know if I'd say Kolek has more upside though. Turner's ceiling is a high OBP, 10-15 HR, gold glove defense at SS, 80-100 SB. That is pretty freaking amazing. Even if he is Andrus with the bat, that is going to be a pretty freaking valuable trade chip.

What are Kolek's secondaries like? If he's just a big fastball, I'm even less interested. He might lose a little weight becoming pro, but at 25 the metabolism is going to drop and the weight is going to come.

vCash
    I'm not hearing 10-15 homers. Or GG at SS.

vCash
    Gallo I believe mentioned the power potential. The gold glove on defense has been in a ton of scouting reports.

Edit: McDaniel put his power in the low double digits.
    Last edited by CUBluejays; 01-18-2014 at 10:58 PM.

vCash
    Anybody think that Rodon could still be on the board at 4?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno1984 View Post
    Anybody think that Rodon could still be on the board at 4?
    I mean, at this given moment, do you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yagyu+ View Post
    I mean, at this given moment, do you?
    Sorry this is the first year where I have actually been looking closer at the draft. Not something I usually paid attention to, so I was just wondering.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno1984 View Post
    Sorry this is the first year where I have actually been looking closer at the draft. Not something I usually paid attention to, so I was just wondering.
    June is a ways away, and stranger things have happened, but if the draft started tomorrow, I couldn't really imagine anyone being selected first overall other than Rodon.

I suppose it can't hurt to wish for him to be around at four, but right now it's not likely.

vCash
    I know BPA is a big deal, but don't you think we need to favor a college player at this stage in our rebuild? Gotta get that talent to the bigs as fast as possible. This franchise has only one or two mulligan seasons left at least to me, I'm sure other fans feel the same.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post
    I know BPA is a big deal, but don't you think we need to favor a college player at this stage in our rebuild? Gotta get that talent to the bigs as fast as possible. This franchise has only one or two mulligan seasons left at least to me, I'm sure other fans feel the same.
    I think it is especially true with a pitcher. Hate to draft someone who if everything goes right for something like 4 years he will be in the majors. So much can go wrong with a pitcher in 4 years. You are talking about a young arm. It is so easy for him to get hurt before even making the majors. I would much rather get a guy who is a year away from the majors if it is a pitcher.

Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast