Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,918
    vCash
    1500

    Clippers Without CP3

    Have won 6 of 7 and 5 in a row. Sure they haven't played particularly tough teams... but remember WITH CP3 those same lotto teams beat the Clippers. The only loss without CP3 was to the Spurs on the road, on a B2B when they were also.missing Redick, Bullock and Barnes to go with CP3.

    This seems worth discussing considering that the general consensus was that the team is nothing without CP3 and without him the team would crash and burn. Not saying they are as good sans CP3 of course, merely saying CP3 gets far too much credit and I've been saying it 3 years. This team is much more than CP3. Do you still feel that way? Do the other players deserve more credit now?

    Chronz I'd love your opinion on this in particular.
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 01-18-2014 at 02:43 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    12,683
    vCash
    1500
    you know you're close to being a championship caliber team when your star can miss games and have it not result in a losing streak.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    33,038
    vCash
    1894
    It means the Clips have finally become a legit championship contender instead of a team that relied HEAVILY on CP3 as they have the past few years. The only question left to answer is if the big boys come to play when it counts, PLAYOFFS.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,658
    vCash
    1500
    Right now they are on a roll b/c it's in season high intensity games being avoided. But come playoffs when a team strategizes and game plans on you for a series, you're going to need CP3. What they are doing now is utilizing their play sets w/o CP3. If CP3 were there they'd still do it not as much, but it's just that CP3 works w/ the ball and off dribble more to play make.

    Also remember, JJ Reddick is back and that adds a whole dynamic that wasn't there. Instead of Dudley shooting and running off screens, it's Reddick now.
    when they forget what Kevin Long saids

    I follow rules and appreciate the ignore button

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    12,683
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    It means the Clips have finally become a legit championship contender instead of a team that relied HEAVILY on CP3 as they have the past few years. The only question left to answer is if the big boys come to play when it counts, PLAYOFFS.
    the key is for them to play like this when Paul returns, right? Watching the Lakers in seasons past, they would do well with Kobe out. people stopped ball watching and were more compelled to leave their impact on the game. LAL became championships when the supporting cast behind Kobe and Gasol figured out how to play big even when Kobe and Pau were playing big as well. it seems like the Clippers supporting cast has stepped up without Paul. Reddick going down was a bigger injury to the Clippers than generally reported and I'm excited to see how the starting line up with JJ and Paul looks like after the break.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    33,038
    vCash
    1894
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno87 View Post
    the key is for them to play like this when Paul returns, right? Watching the Lakers in seasons past, they would do well with Kobe out. people stopped ball watching and were more compelled to leave their impact on the game. LAL became championships when the supporting cast behind Kobe and Gasol figured out how to play big even when Kobe and Pau were playing big as well. it seems like the Clippers supporting cast has stepped up without Paul. Reddick going down was a bigger injury to the Clippers than generally reported and I'm excited to see how the starting line up with JJ and Paul looks like after the break.
    Nah, they are simply playing to their talent level, honestly dont understand where you're coming from with the Kobe comp. Clips with Reddick+CP3 were far more explosive offensively. The only reason we struggled early was because Blake was off to a slow start on both ends and Doc was treating the opening weeks as a trial run to try different strats. The defense has recovered and Blake began playing more aggressively (this started before CP3 went down).

    The only key is that the bigs show up come playoff time. Our offense has NEVER been the main problem, its been the horrific defense. That said, Ill take some defensive lapses if Blake+DJ can actually translate their regular season success into winning time.

    Im confident Doc has instilled that mindset in them now.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,918
    vCash
    1500
    Bruno Redick has the second best offensive rating in the NBA. With him in the lineup we are the best O by a landslide last I saw. That's why I got defensive when people downplayed his absence.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,517
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86 View Post
    Have won 6 of 7 and 5 in a row. Sure they haven't played particularly tough teams... but remember WITH CP3 those same lotto teams beat the Clippers. The only loss without CP3 was to the Spurs on the road, on a B2B when they were also.missing Redick, Bullock and Barnes to go with CP3.

    This seems worth discussing considering that the general consensus was that the team is nothing without CP3 and without him the team would crash and burn. Not saying they are as good sans CP3 of course, merely saying CP3 gets far too much credit and I've been saying it 3 years. This team is much more than CP3. Do you still feel that way? Do the other players deserve more credit now?

    Chronz I'd love your opinion on this in particular.
    omfg clipper fans are delusional

    4 wins at home and in the 7 games they have beat one playoff team at home by 2 ... a 7 seed at that

    yes... lets read into this

    LMFAO

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,517
    vCash
    1500
    and for the record its 5 of 6 since paul has been out

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West Covina CA
    Posts
    16,790
    vCash
    1631
    I would have waited until after the Indiana game to make this thread. We'll see what we got in a couple hours.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,918
    vCash
    1500
    Indy game means nothing. It's a "schedule loss" and won't change the point. On road where Indy is 20-1 on a B2B missing our best player. Indy on the other hand has played just twice in 7 or 8 days. Even WITH CP3 I'd expect a loss in that scenario.

    Vinyl you forgot to mention that although it was just a 2 point win they went on a 23-4 run to come back from 17 down with 4 minutes left. The bad teams excuse doesn't work because as I said earlier WITH CP3 this team was.losing to lotto teams. Now they are blowing them out.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,517
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86 View Post
    Indy game means nothing. It's a "schedule loss" and won't change the point. On road where Indy is 20-1 on a B2B missing our best player. Indy on the other hand has played just twice in 7 or 8 days. Even WITH CP3 I'd expect a loss in that scenario.

    Vinyl you forgot to mention that although it was just a 2 point win they went on a 23-4 run to come back from 17 down with 4 minutes left. The bad teams excuse doesn't work because as I said earlier WITH CP3 this team was.losing to lotto teams. Now they are blowing them out.
    more jibberish... you have lost only 4 games to non-playoff teams... including one to memphis... the other 9 losses are to current playoff teams...

    the reality is you are a middling team that wins the games it should while playing average against playoff teams...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,918
    vCash
    1500
    One of the best records against the west and .500 plus teams is average? Okay lol.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,918
    vCash
    1500
    Btw if you look closer at the losses you'll see that despite being severely shorthanded it was just a 3 point loss to Heat, 2.point loss to Warriors, 3 point loss to Blazers, 5 point loss to Indy. More than half of those were on B2B if I recall down key guys like Redick and Barnes. To imply the Clippers don't compete with the best teams is flat out dumb. Also we've had 5 losses to non playoff teams, not including Memphis. You're looking at records now but at the time it was 5 bad teams I'm pretty sure.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,431
    vCash
    1500
    This seems worth discussing considering that the general consensus was that the team is nothing without CP3 and without him the team would crash and burn. Not saying they are as good sans CP3 of course, merely saying CP3 gets far too much credit and I've been saying it 3 years. This team is much more than CP3. Do you still feel that way?
    If you were referring to anything before this season, it doesn't count because Vinny was to coach. A paul-less team with Vinny coaching would be awful. Secondly, Reddick came back just in time. One can argue that Reddick was extremely valuable to River's system as well - they lost to lotto teams when he went out.
    I survived Stephon Marbury's inability
    Jason Kidd, Kenyon Martin, Richard Jefferson era
    I survived them all leaving, a 12-70 season and not getting the #1 pick
    Mikhail Prokhorov buys the Nets
    I survived Melodrama
    Deron Williams traded here
    I survived 248 games missed due to injury, 5 d-league call-ups, 14 different lineups in ONE season, Johan Petro
    I survived Dwightmare
    I survived Avery & PJC's rotations
    THE Offseason - Success TBD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •