Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Carlos Santana expects to play 3B for Tribe

"@mlbtraderumors: Carlos Santana Expects To Play Third For Indians http://dlvr.it/4kHkzt #mlb"

vCash
    He's playing third base in the Dominican Winter League and at least he pass the eye test, he has some problems fielding bunts and slow grounders where he has to throw off balance but he's improving everyday, I think he can handle third base.

vCash
    I was a little surprised by the article. The article states

"As Santana explains (all translation errors mine), he is only preparing to play third at this point in time. "Those are the plans of the team at this moment," Santana said. Indicating that the club asked him to give third a try, Santana said he "took a month thinking about it before accepting."

In the beginning, weren't we told that Santana went to management and asked them about the potential switch in an effort to help the ballclub?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    I was a little surprised by the article. The article states

"As Santana explains (all translation errors mine), he is only preparing to play third at this point in time. "Those are the plans of the team at this moment," Santana said. Indicating that the club asked him to give third a try, Santana said he "took a month thinking about it before accepting."

In the beginning, weren't we told that Santana went to management and asked them about the potential switch in an effort to help the ballclub?
    Either the translation is inaccurate or it doesn't matter who's idea it was...

vCash
    I don't think he will end up playing much there. He is going to spend most of his time at DH, with a little bit at C and 1B.

vCash
    I agree with Indiansfan. But I also believe it does matter who's idea it was. If its Santana's idea everything's fine. But if its the ball clubs idea and Carlo struggles he could get upset with the ball club. I don't want any drama.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    Who came up with the idea IS, in my opinion, a big deal. If it was Carlos' idea...he is a great "team player" that is looking out for team rather than himself. If it was the team's idea...they are looking out for their best interest (who can blame them). If it is, indeed, the FO's and/or Tito's idea...as Prodigy said, we need to worry about whether or not he is successful at the position and whether or not he is happy with the Tribe.

If it is his idea and it doesn't work out...at least he tried what was best for the team and could revert back to the 3 positions that he HAS played. You don't see players doing this nowadays. With him being under contract, at least he doesn't have to worry about the experiment costing him in FA.

Either way...if he becomes more versatile, it helps fill holes in the roster....giving Tito 3 options at 3B (Chis, Aviles, and Carlos), 2 options (Yanimal and Carlos) at C, 4 options at 1B (Swish, Carlos, Yanimal, and Cooper should he make the squad), and infinite options at DH (Giambi, Swish, Carlos, Raburn, Murphy, Aviles, etc...).

vCash
    Big deals like this are kind of relative..

On April seventh of the coming season.. will anyone care who thought about trying Carlos Santana out at 3B during the offseason?..

BTW.. the Vacationing Paul Hoynes' has Dennis Boy-o-lost as the Indians beat reporter and columnist.. He's so terrible, I'm looking forward to seeing what Hoynes has to say when (hopefully IF) he returns....

vCash
    On April 7th, if Carlos Santana isn't successful at 3B and is slumping...and isn't happy with the people that suggested he play there...yes, I will care if someone else suggested the position swap. Carlos Santana is signed through 2016 with an option for 2017...he needs to be a part of this organization, and a happy part of this organization at that.

vCash
    On April 7th of 2016?