Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Rondo named 15th Captain in team history

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/side...n-night-return

BOSTON – Rajon Rondo didn’t only make his return Friday night. He also made history.

Rondo was named the 15th captain in Boston Celtics history in a subtle move that took place just minutes before the team tipped off against the Los Angeles Lakers.

After announcing the starting lineup for the Lakers, public address announcer Eddie Palladino moved on to the Celtics. He announced Kris Humphries. Then he announced Avery Bradley. Then Jared Sullinger. Then Jeff Green.

And then, the 15th captain in Celtics history.

“And now,” Palladino announced for the very first time, “at the other guard, 6-foot-1 from Kentucky, the captain, number nine… Rajon Rondo!”

The TD Garden crowd bellowed as they watched the newest captain in Celtics lore run onto the court and greet his teammates. The Celtics and their fans have been waiting 51 weeks for this moment. Now they have Rondo. Now they have their captain.

Rondo was bestowed with the ‘captain’ moniker by the Celtics franchise, but most notably president of basketball operations Danny Ainge and head coach Brad Stevens. Ainge and Stevens stand as the two men who have been by Rondo’s side throughout this transition season. They’ve watched him lead on a daily basis, regardless of his injury. They believe in Rondo, and they believe that he is the ultimate leader.

For Stevens, only seven months have passed since he and Rondo met for the first time at the point guard’s camp in Kentucky. It didn’t take Stevens nearly that long to realize that Rondo possesses all of the qualities that warrant a team’s captainship.

"I've always believed that captains name themselves with their leadership on and off the court,” Stevens told Celtics.com. “This isn't about us naming Rondo captain. This is about him earning that title through his play as a Celtic, his accountability as a leader of this team, and his commitment to the Boston community."

Coincidentally, Rondo also received the December Community Assist Award, in recognition of his numerous charitable efforts and long history of generosity in the community, prior to the contest.

Rondo becomes the first Celtics captain not named Paul Pierce since 2003. He joins an elite list that includes Celtics Legends such as Bob Cousy, Bill Russell, John Havlicek, Dave Cowens, Larry Bird and Pierce. Rondo is just the third point guard to become captain of the Celtics, joining Cousy and Dee Brown.
    Doubt he gets traded now, at least for the foreseeable future...being named captain is no small feat.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2012

vCash
    Great honor for Rondo and imo very well deserved. It will be controversial here but whatever. and I agree that this signals loud and clear DAnny has been earnest when he has said he intends to build around Rondo... unless a deal he cannot refuse comes along, of course. lol.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI • 14m •  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Congrats Rondo but...

some past captains were... Nique, Dee, Dana, Pervis, and Foxy... Besides Rondo who else could be labeled captain since Pierce was traded...???

The next guy with the most years is AB...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Opalmerr View Post
    Great honor for Rondo and imo very well deserved. It will be controversial here but whatever. and I agree that this signals loud and clear DAnny has been earnest when he has said he intends to build around Rondo... unless a deal he cannot refuse comes along, of course. lol.
    Yup...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    Congrats Rondo but...

some past captains were... Nique, Dee, Dana, Pervis, and Foxy... Besides Rondo who else could be labeled captain since Pierce was traded...???

The next guy with the most years is AB...
    x2

Rondo complained like a stuck pig when DA and Doc were talking about how uncoachable he was, and all the deals they had discussed about him. Obviously Rondo is of the generation where he always has to feel loved and respected - or he can't handle it (he can't handle anything actually, but that's another topic).

So, if the Celts want the best out of him to position for a trade this is also the move they would make.

Besides, who else would get the nod? Wallace? If they gave the Captaincy to anyone else other than Rondo, he'd be moping for a month.

Also I listened the game in the radio in the 2nd quarter and so far on TV in the 2nd half - it's a gack fest so far. Amazing that they think the audience is like what it was when Most was broadcasting. Unreasonable, unkowing - fan boys and girls - who believe the C's never committed a foul. Good God.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 01-17-2014 at 09:05 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash

Rondo named 15th Captain in team history

Im convinced Stevens is in Rondos corner. Rondo is here to stay. They will build with him not around him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Im convinced Stevens is in Rondos corner. Rondo is here to stay. They will build with him not around him.
    Stevens is on Stevens side and DA's and the teams and owners. Players are passing resources, you get in a lot of trouble getting too tight with them as a Coach.

Given Rondo has missed over 40% of the regular season games in the past 3+ seasons, had tumbled as a player from his peak of 2008-2010, has never grown up emotionally, and doesn't give a crap about many of the games he suits up for - I wouldn't extend him.

In terms of sheer basketball value there is almost no way his performance can justify it. In terms of jersey sales and keeping a bunch of teenage/twenty something fan/lemmings happy - I have no comment - except Red would roll over his grave if he saw his team turned over to Rondo willingly by Ainge.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Stevens is going to be on all of his players' sides. That's part of his job.

He's a coach, not an executive or general manager.

Part of the reason Doc left for LA is because he gets to have much more control over player movement.

As a rookie head coach, I doubt Stevens has a TON of say in roster movement in regards to trades.

vCash
    "In terms of jersey sales and keeping a bunch of teenage/twenty something fan/lemmings happy "

I resent that. I'm 26, rondos play has not declined. u dont seem like a true celts fan!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by avengedchaos5 View Post
    "In terms of jersey sales and keeping a bunch of teenage/twenty something fan/lemmings happy "

I resent that. I'm 26, rondos play has not declined. u dont seem like a true celts fan!!!
    Rondo will not be traded this year. I hope they keep him but I can understand if they do. I really don't think they will at this point. They looked better with Rondo in there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Opalmerr View Post
    Well deserved!? Based on what? It's all pageantry IMO.

vCash
    I'm interested to see a comparative analysis of Delonte West's offensive game vs. Rondo's (of hand I don't think they're much different; or at least RR is closer to DW as an offensive player than Chris Paul).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by avengedchaos5 View Post

You are going to take this personally?

Rondo has clearly declined from his peak. The last 3 years combined he's averaged being the 13th best PG in the NBA. The two prior years he was around 6th or 7th.

There is no dispute he's missed 40% of the teams games since the start of the 2010-2011 season and not just from the current injury but others, as well as his suspensions.

He's going to be looking for $13.5M+ per in his next deal, and he's not even worth what he's making now.

I am a true Celtics fan. My reference points are Russell/Cowens/Havlicek/Bird/Silas/DJ/KG/McHale/Parish - all of whom I saw in person, several of whom I've spoken too - one of whom I played against at BCH (Tiny). All of them and dozens more demonstrated what it was to be a Celt far more than Rondo.

Please bring some objective facts into your argument. Another poster that gets his talking points from Tommy, and that post game weenie that said rondo would resume being a top 5 NBA player is not getting far in the clear light of day.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 01-18-2014 at 08:39 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elements1985 View Post
    Well deserved!? Based on what? It's all pageantry IMO.
    If you read the quotes from Wyc, DAnny and Stevens it is clear Rondo's contributions on many levels were taken into consideration, as they should have been. There is an anti-Rondo sentiment that permeates this particular forum to an extent that his accomplishments are viewed in a diminished sense while his faults are viewed in a heightened sense.

The truth is, Rondo is high strung (as many elite athletes are) and uniquely talented. The polarization surrounding Rondo lies mainly in the minds of those who are unable to celebrate the complete Rondo only being able to focus on either the negative or positive. I treasure the opportunity to watch this kid play for the combination of game intelligence, vision and passing skills. He's special in that regard. Plus the work he does in the community goes above and beyond the franchise promos required of most players - he doesn't have to do all he does. Besides that this kid has a brilliant sense of humor and personality. This is missed by many, but he cracks me up more than some of the "best" comedians out there. He's just so dry and straight faced a lot of people take him seriously. Faults? Yeah, he has a few, but so do we all. So does every player. So does every person. As both a player, a coach and especially as a person I learned early it is so much more beneficial to celebrate the positives, to accentuate strengths of an individual than it is to focus on negatives. Focus on what someone can do as opposed to what they cannot do. Celebrate who they are instead of who they are not. As a player, a coach and a person I seek to instill confidence in those about me. To give to others my confidence in them as opposed to spewing venom, bullying and generally tearing people down through focusing on faults. Life tends to be a lot more enjoyable when we see and celebrate the good in one another. So, yeah, Rondo does deserve this honor. He has earned it on many levels.

Maybe the best way to frame this is from a coaching perspective. On my teams the players select a captain and then I select the second captain. In selecting a captain if I allowed a players blemishes, his indiscretions to preclude him from serving as a captain, I could never select anyone to serve as a captain. This is a lesson I impart each season to those who do serve as captain on my teams - I allow the captains to select a teammate to take their place for a day. They can chose someone to serve as captain for a practice or a game. This is a way to recognize the contributions others make to the team. Invariably each season a captain approaches me to say I would like to have "X" be a captain for a day, but..... and the captain will go on to name some indiscretion that wasn't very captain-like. It's my opportunity to say to the captain, "Do you remember when you... " drawing their attention to an indiscretion of their own that may have precluded their being named captain had that been allowed to be a primary focus of the decision-making process to the exclusion of all the reasons why he should have been named captain.
    Last edited by Opalmerr; 01-18-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI • 14m •  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Please bring some objective facts into your argument. Another poster that gets his talking points from Tommy, and that post game weenie that said rondo would resume being a top 5 NBA player is not getting far in the clear light of day.[/QUOTE]

i get my points from myself stop assuming u know everything! i know tommy is a homer i know rondo has issues EVERY NBA PLAYER HAS ISSUES. ur negativity is annoying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast