Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Micheal Griffin to be released?

Titans FS Michael Griffin is unsure if he'll be back in 2014.

Griffin is coming off a solid season, finishing with 106 tackles and an interception in Tennessee's No. 11 ranked pass defense. He's currently set to count $8 million against the cap in 2014, so the Titans could look to part ways under a new coaching staff. George Wilson would serve as a capable in-house replacement if Griffin were to be released. Free agent SS Bernard Pollard is also questionable to be brought back this offseason.
    Source: Nashville Tennessean

vCash
    Not exactly a solid season, but he was better than he was in the previous years. I still can't believe we decided to re-sign him over Finnegan.

vCash
    With the salary and George Wilson as a backup I think he is gone. Such a bad contact.....
    Psalms 118:6 - The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    Not exactly a solid season, but he was better than he was in the previous years. I still can't believe we decided to re-sign him over Finnegan.
    I was equally shocked by that decision, tho looking back it looked like the smarter of the two. I do like the new "hard nose" approach to this team and how the FO is now looking at cutting dead weight. Also, speaking of Finnegan, could he do us any good as a nickel corner on a team friendly deal?

vCash
    Don't forget Finnegan had a terrible season and may be released (already).

Can't believe I'm saying this but cutting Griffin would be a mistake. He had a very decent season and provides stability. We already have holes at OT, MLB & DE...DT isn't 100%.. Potentially CB & SS if Verner/Pollard leave, RB if/when CJ leaves, QB being debatable.

Let's not open another unnecessary hole.

vCash
    There is no reason wasting 8 million though. There has got to be a decent free agent that could come in at a fraction of the cost. He is being paid like a top safety in the league, and he isnt one.
    Psalms 118:6 - The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnocOnYoBloc View Post
    Don't forget Finnegan had a terrible season and may be released (already).

Can't believe I'm saying this but cutting Griffin would be a mistake. He had a very decent season and provides stability. We already have holes at OT, MLB & DE...DT isn't 100%.. Potentially CB & SS if Verner/Pollard leave, RB if/when CJ leaves, QB being debatable.

Let's not open another unnecessary hole.
    The only two "urgent" needs are MLB & DE. Considering McCarthy is a decent player, at least, if he stays healthy, you can argue the urgency of that need. I think we're fine at OT, unless we consider cutting Stewart. I'd bring in a RT via Draft just in case, he'll be a free agent next year and I don't think we'll re-sign him. QB is questionable. We haven't seen what Locker can do in a healthy year and I wouldn't replace him just yet. Again, a QB in the Draft, mid rounds, sounds like the best idea. I believe we're keeping CJ, Verner and Pollard don't leave.

Besides, we have Wilson for one more year, it wouldn't be that much of a hole if we let Griffin go.

vCash
    I do agree that Griffin had an improved season, so maybe keeping him should be the way to go if money wasn't an issue. But it is, and it's a big issue. The No. 1 defensive priority this offseason has to be keeping Alterraun Verner, and he will get a ton of on the open market if the Titans don't offer a substantial deal. It makes no sense to be spending $8 million + on Griffin, McCourty AND Verner, and Griffin is clearly the most expendable of the three.

If cutting Griffin provides the Titans enough cap room to keep Verner, they should do it and not think twice about it. I also wouldn't feel bad about the Titans cutting Johnson and/or Wimbley. However, I'm not sure how much guaranteed money is left on any of their contracts and whether cutting them will actually save them cap space this season or not.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Lakers will make the playoffs this year and my bold prediction is they finish higher than the Rockets.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdymez View Post
    And Lebron puts up great numbers, your right. Debate over. You win. Lebron is the greatest

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    The only two "urgent" needs are MLB & DE. Considering McCarthy is a decent player, at least, if he stays healthy, you can argue the urgency of that need. I think we're fine at OT, unless we consider cutting Stewart. I'd bring in a RT via Draft just in case, he'll be a free agent next year and I don't think we'll re-sign him. QB is questionable. We haven't seen what Locker can do in a healthy year and I wouldn't replace him just yet. Again, a QB in the Draft, mid rounds, sounds like the best idea. I believe we're keeping CJ, Verner and Pollard don't leave.

Besides, we have Wilson for one more year, it wouldn't be that much of a hole if we let Griffin go.
    I don't view this team as having a single "glaring need" entering this offseason. The biggest "need" for us is to resign Verner, period. If we stress any position is should be either NT or Rush Backer. Stressing and reaching for a quarterback will only set us back further, let's allow Locker a final chance. With the recent hiring of Whisenhunt and Mularkey, Locker has the best coaching staff around him he has had his entire career. Let's take the logical approach and draft value and best player available.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WVA_Titan View Post
    I don't view this team as having a single "glaring need" entering this offseason. The biggest "need" for us is to resign Verner, period. If we stress any position is should be either NT or Rush Backer. Stressing and reaching for a quarterback will only set us back further, let's allow Locker a final chance. With the recent hiring of Whisenhunt and Mularkey, Locker has the best coaching staff around him he has had his entire career. Let's take the logical approach and draft value and best player available.
    I would name Locker as the starter and STILL take a QB in the first two rounds. Locker's in the final year of his contract, so it gives him one last chance to prove himself, and if he doesn't, you can let him walk. Plus, if you don't have a young guy to develop behind Locker, then if/when Locker leaves after next season, you'll have to draft a QB high anyway and you'll be a year behind in terms of development.

If you're Whisenhunt, you need to start developing this offense as early as possible. Locker provides a nice bridge until your drafted QB develops, and in the event that Locker busts out and has a great year, then you could potentially have two really good QBs on the same team. Other franchises have done it before, like San Diego with Rivers and Brees.

Lakers will make the playoffs this year and my bold prediction is they finish higher than the Rockets.
    And Lebron puts up great numbers, your right. Debate over. You win. Lebron is the greatest

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I would name Locker as the starter and STILL take a QB in the first two rounds. Locker's in the final year of his contract, so it gives him one last chance to prove himself, and if he doesn't, you can let him walk. Plus, if you don't have a young guy to develop behind Locker, then if/when Locker leaves after next season, you'll have to draft a QB high anyway and you'll be a year behind in terms of development.

If you're Whisenhunt, you need to start developing this offense as early as possible. Locker provides a nice bridge until your drafted QB develops, and in the event that Locker busts out and has a great year, then you could potentially have two really good QBs on the same team. Other franchises have done it before, like San Diego with Rivers and Brees.
    Upon first glance the concept of Locker being our starting quarterback while also drafting a quarterback fairly high is foolish but when you bring up the San Diego situation it tends to make a lot more sense. I am all for giving Jake another year to prove himself and show us whether or not he could stay healthy for a full season. As I've stated multiple times on this forum, I want Tahj Boyd in the second round as our future quarterback. Boyd could essentially "redshirt" this season and adjust to the game as well as progress as a player all the while feeling no pressure to start. As the offseason progresses I'm beginning to become more comfortable with drafting Cj Mosley and a quarterback to start the draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WVA_Titan View Post
    Upon first glance the concept of Locker being our starting quarterback while also drafting a quarterback fairly high is foolish but when you bring up the San Diego situation it tends to make a lot more sense. I am all for giving Jake another year to prove himself and show us whether or not he could stay healthy for a full season. As I've stated multiple times on this forum, I want Tahj Boyd in the second round as our future quarterback. Boyd could essentially "redshirt" this season and adjust to the game as well as progress as a player all the while feeling no pressure to start. As the offseason progresses I'm beginning to become more comfortable with drafting Cj Mosley and a quarterback to start the draft.
    It's a long, long offseason, dude. There will be a million mock drafts and we'll talk about at least a dozen possible players at that No. 11 pick before April rolls around and it actually happens. There are guys who seem great now (like Mosley) who could fall in the draft process and guys who aren't on are radar at all that will be in three months. Plus, we have no idea what kind of changes the team will make with the personnel before the draft or what kind of team Whisenhunt wants to put together.

It could be a quarterback or linebacker or a pass rusher or a tackle or a safety or even a running back. They could take a QB in one of the first three rounds or not take one at all and stick with Locker or maybe even sign someone in free agency. Trying to pick who will be drafted this early on or how the offseason will play out is futile.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    It's a long, long offseason, dude. There will be a million mock drafts and we'll talk about at least a dozen possible players at that No. 11 pick before April rolls around and it actually happens. There are guys who seem great now (like Mosley) who could fall in the draft process and guys who aren't on are radar at all that will be in three months. Plus, we have no idea what kind of changes the team will make with the personnel before the draft or what kind of team Whisenhunt wants to put together.

It could be a quarterback or linebacker or a pass rusher or a tackle or a safety or even a running back. They could take a QB in one of the first three rounds or not take one at all and stick with Locker or maybe even sign someone in free agency. Trying to pick who will be drafted this early on or how the offseason will play out is futile.
    While that is true, so is our need for a leader of our new 3-4 defense, one preferably with experience. Ofcourse, like you said, it's almost impossible to predict who we will take but that is the point/reason for pages like this one. Mosely could step in, hopefully, and become the face of our defense and field general. Just my January thoughts tho.

vCash
    If Karlos Dansby hits the open market, I'd love for them to sign him. I know he's 32, but he probably has a couple years left in the tank. He could be the veteran leadership of the new 3-4 that you seek, and seeing as Whiz was his coach during Dansby's first stint in Arizona, it would be a move that makes sense.

vCash
    We have needs, guys.

RT is absolutely a need. David Stewart is going to be cut. He was pretty bad this year and is scheduled to be THE HIGHEST PAID RT in football.. Not going to happen... CJ is going to be cut. Wimbley is going to be cut. 3 holes right there at RT, RB & DE. There is 1, maybe 2 needs at LB depending on the 3-4.

I don't think cutting Griffin needs to be the answer to keeping Verner. Griffin & CJ both make 8 mill; cutting CJ opens the money to Verner the same way Griff does; and it's easier to find a quality RB for less than a SS. (RB in the draft is easier to find than SS). I know Griff + Vern + J-Mac is a lot of $$ in the secondary, but keeping Griff would be smarter than keeping CJ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast