Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Magic Johnson says Lakers problems lie with Jim Buss

“This is what happens when you make the wrong decisions, two coaching wrong decisions, giving Steve Nash that deal, it’s backfired,” Johnson said during a meeting at The Times between Dodgers officials and Times writers and editors. Johnson is a part owner of the Dodgers.
    “The biggest problem they’re going to have right now … you’ve got to get a guy like Jerry West to be the face of the team. ...
    “You’ve got to have someone helping Jim. He’s got to quit trying to prove a point to everybody that he can do it on his own, get his ego out of it, and just say, ‘Let me get someone beside me to help achieve the goals I want.' "
    Johnson acknowledged that getting West to return would be difficult, but added that having an empowered person in the general manager's role is critical. “You need to get someone like Jerry to be the face, so agents are comfortable, players are comfortable, knowing the Lakers are going for a championship….

“Look what Pat Riley did in Miami,” referring to the former Lakers coach who assembled the current team featuring LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.
    “If Pat Riley’s not there, you don’t get LeBron to buy in.”
    Johnson said that current Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak is doing a good job. “Mitch is great,” he said, “but he doesn’t have the power.”
    Johnson also added, “Everybody’s telling me free agents don’t want to sign [with the Lakers]…. They’re looking at the Lakers now as a team that’s dysfunctional; who’s their leader, who’s the guy?”
    The Lakers (14-24) are in one of the worst slumps in franchise history. They have lost 11 of their last 12 games and have fewer victories than all but two teams in the Western Conference.
    “Dr. Buss was smart,” Johnson said. “He said, ‘I’m going to get the best dude, Jerry West, and he helped me achieve my goals. Then I went and got the best coach [in Phil Jackson]. He wanted to work with the best.”

I know a few fans will get upset at Magic because he is slamming your Precious Lakers but He is speaking truth here.
    Jerry Buss surrounded himself with the best basketball minds in the game and sat back and watched. I am really surprised Jimbo didn't learn anything from his father. He Should put the basketball minds in charge of basketball operations and go do what he is best at (Playing with his horses down at the track)

IMO You put Phil Jackson in the "Riley" type role. His name (Along with the Lakers legacy) would attract Many stars around the League.

Bring the respect and pride back to this organization.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...#ixzz2qh8qXQBe

vCash
    Kevin Ding goes on to slam Magic for this. So who do you guys side with?

Does Magic Johnson Really Care About the Success of the Los Angeles Lakers?
    BY KEVIN DING (NBA NATIONAL COLUMNIST) ON JANUARY 16, 2014

Always go with the guy who cares too much over the guy who doesn’t care enough.

In a team game, give me a passionate Nick Young, who won’t stand for disrespect and will roar with pride in himself and his team—even if he loses control for a moment the way he did on Wednesday night.

Caring is not an excuse for lack of control, but it’s real and understandable.

So you might think that the same applies to Magic Johnson, who logically should care deeply about the Los Angeles Lakers and take immense pride in their brand.

But does Magic really care? I don’t think so anymore.

Johnson made his latest brainless, whichever-way-the-wind-blows comments Wednesday in a meeting with Los Angeles Times staffers.

His uneducated, shallow, fleeting assessments indicate he's a bandwagon guy who mainly wants to make clear, in a trap a lot of older people tend to fall into, that the past was better. Jerry Buss was his benefactor, Jerry West was great, blah blah blah

If Johnson really cared, he'd be responsible with his comments.

Whether or not Jim Buss deserves anyone’s defense, the reality is that Johnson has flip-flopped. Speaking with the LA Times in August 2012, Magic raved about Buss following the acquisitions of Steve Nash and Dwight Howard:

I love it. Jim, you look like your father; I’m proud of you. He’s definitely the guy now to win the NBA executive-of-the-year award.

This is also so good for Coach Mike Brown. He knows defense so well and Dwight is going to erase those shots coming down the lane, and Mike will know just how to use him. The Lakers’ tradition of great centers continues. It's just great.

Here was Johnson on Wednesday:

This is what happens when you make the wrong decisions, two coaching wrong decisions, giving Steve Nash that deal, it’s backfired. …

You’ve got to have someone helping Jim. He’s got to quit trying to prove a point to everybody that he can do it on his own, get his ego out of it, and just say, "Let me get someone beside me to help achieve the goals I want."

Johnson went on to say the Lakers should get West back to be the face of the franchise to recruit free agents.

With all due respect to West’s epic accomplishments in the past, “The Logo” is 75 years old, already an ownership consultant for the Golden State Warriors and hasn’t directly influenced the course of NBA history in 13 years.

The only player left in this hip-hop league who reveres West is Kobe Bryant, and he’s the one guy the Lakers already have. The Lakers have a better chance of selling today’s free agents with West’s son, Ryan, whom they already employ as one of their scouting directors.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...nXbmji-nfDqU6g
    Last edited by championships; 01-17-2014 at 05:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by championships View Post
    Kevin Ding goes on to slam Magic for this. So who do you guys side with?

Does Magic Johnson Really Care About the Success of the Los Angeles Lakers?
    BY KEVIN DING (NBA NATIONAL COLUMNIST) ON JANUARY 16, 2014

Always go with the guy who cares too much over the guy who doesn’t care enough.

In a team game, give me a passionate Nick Young, who won’t stand for disrespect and will roar with pride in himself and his team—even if he loses control for a moment the way he did on Wednesday night.

Caring is not an excuse for lack of control, but it’s real and understandable.

So you might think that the same applies to Magic Johnson, who logically should care deeply about the Los Angeles Lakers and take immense pride in their brand.

But does Magic really care? I don’t think so anymore.

Andrew D. Bernstein/Getty Images
    Johnson made his latest brainless, whichever-way-the-wind-blows comments Wednesday in a meeting with Los Angeles Times staffers.

His uneducated, shallow, fleeting assessments indicate he's a bandwagon guy who mainly wants to make clear, in a trap a lot of older people tend to fall into, that the past was better. Jerry Buss was his benefactor, Jerry West was great, blah blah blah

If Johnson really cared, he'd be responsible with his comments.

Whether or not Jim Buss deserves anyone’s defense, the reality is that Johnson has flip-flopped. Speaking with the LA Times in August 2012, Magic raved about Buss following the acquisitions of Steve Nash and Dwight Howard:

I love it. Jim, you look like your father; I’m proud of you. He’s definitely the guy now to win the NBA executive-of-the-year award.

This is also so good for Coach Mike Brown. He knows defense so well and Dwight is going to erase those shots coming down the lane, and Mike will know just how to use him. The Lakers’ tradition of great centers continues. It's just great.

Andrew D. Bernstein/Getty Images
    Here was Johnson on Wednesday:

This is what happens when you make the wrong decisions, two coaching wrong decisions, giving Steve Nash that deal, it’s backfired. …

You’ve got to have someone helping Jim. He’s got to quit trying to prove a point to everybody that he can do it on his own, get his ego out of it, and just say, "Let me get someone beside me to help achieve the goals I want."

Johnson went on to say the Lakers should get West back to be the face of the franchise to recruit free agents.

With all due respect to West’s epic accomplishments in the past, “The Logo” is 75 years old, already an ownership consultant for the Golden State Warriors and hasn’t directly influenced the course of NBA history in 13 years.

The only player left in this hip-hop league who reveres West is Kobe Bryant, and he’s the one guy the Lakers already have. The Lakers have a better chance of selling today’s free agents with West’s son, Ryan, whom they already employ as one of their scouting directors.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...nXbmji-nfDqU6g
    Well, Ding wins the "debate" very easily by showing that Magic flip flopped. I mean, Magic said this about Jim Buss after the Nash and Howard acquisitions: "I love it. Jim, you look like your father; I’m proud of you. He’s definitely the guy now to win the NBA executive-of-the-year award."

vCash
    This is exactly what needs to happen. The only problem is....only Jim Buss can make this happen. Part of this generation's shortcoming is that there is little patience for letting greatness naturally unfold. Buss is obsessed with getting at least one thing right, and will do it....even if it means destroying everything the doctor worked for in the process. Whatever happened to just being happy to have more money than you can possibly ever spend?

I actually think Jeanne would be better as the ceo/basketball operations than phil would, but phil wouldnt be a bad choice either. Someone needs to say "This is what the Lakers are going to be" besides just champions, and then line out the steps necessary to get there, and then let Mitch do his thing.

vCash
    My gut reaction when I heard Magic spouting off was that he should STFU. I love Magic, he's my all-time favorite player and I think he's the GOAT. But this constant need to weigh in and bash Jim Buss every time the Lakers are in the news seems more petty and pathetic than anything. I mean, Nick Young got in a spat and this is how Magic responds?

He's also the king of selective memory and was perfectly happy with the Nash deal before Nash got hurt. He's always playing politics and it's either boring or ugly but never insightful.

If he cared so much he should have kept his minority stake instead of bailing to fool around with the Dodgers.

vCash
    Actually, Magic himself should be the face of this franchise. But West would be a close second, Or promoting his son may be a good idea too. Even so, Jerry West has no business working for the Warriors. We should and could give him the same role with Lakers. The problem with Jim Buss is he is a money Guy trying to make basketball decisions. Buss would be best served to allow the basketball minds make the basketball descions with he being the final word (Just cut the damn check) While he should have imput, Just like his dad did...Ultimately a basketball person should be making all of the team personnel decisions. Buss should be more involved with the overall aspect of the team...Marketing and other organizational things.
    I get his ego,"I want to show everybody that I can do this too!" But sometimes it's best to step out of the way and let those who can do the job best do the job....That can be the way that you can help out the best. And if that's what Magic meant, And I believe that it was....He is dead on!

vCash
    kevin ding is a Laker patsy... its all about access...

nothing magic said about Jim buss is wrong other than the praise he heaped on him last year...

and to say magic is uneducated is laughable... Kevin Ding is a dingleberry on humanities ***

Hey Kevin take Jimbaco's dick out of your mouth so we can understand what you are saying

vCash
    Magic does flip-flop a lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GailGoodrich View Post
    My gut reaction when I heard Magic spouting off was that he should STFU. I love Magic, he's my all-time favorite player and I think he's the GOAT. But this constant need to weigh in and bash Jim Buss every time the Lakers are in the news seems more petty and pathetic than anything. I mean, Nick Young got in a spat and this is how Magic responds?

He's also the king of selective memory and was perfectly happy with the Nash deal before Nash got hurt. He's always playing politics and it's either boring or ugly but never insightful.

If he cared so much he should have kept his minority stake instead of bailing to fool around with the Dodgers.
    Not sure I would call it "Bailing" on the Lakers for part ownership of the Dodgers. This was a dream of his inspired by Jerry Buss. Jerry Took Magic under his wing and taught him ways of the business. Jerry was the first to call him and tell him just how proud he was.

Magic did flip flop and that made him look bad but I think he speaks from his emotions and at that time, Nash, Howard, Kobe, Pau, did look pretty good on paper. Now in hind sight it's just a mess.

"But he actually became my second father. He actually took me in. He took me to my first USC football game. We went every Saturday that they played at home."

Buss understood the youngster felt out of place, at first, coming from Michigan to the fast lane in Los Angeles. So, they hung out together.

"We played pool. That was our favorite thing to do," Johnson said. "He took me to Las Vegas. We hung out. Last but not least, he taught me the Laker business."

"He allowed me to look at the books. He took me through the books. That's the reason I'm a businessman today, because of Dr. Buss. He allowed me to buy into the Lakers," Johnson said. "(Next to the championships) ... it was my second greatest moment, owning the Lakers. I'm indebted to him.

"He is a man that touched so many peoples' lives. He allowed me to be one of the Buss boys."

Most recently, Johnson said Buss took great pride in Johnson buying into the Los Angeles Dodgers, the team that had owned Los Angeles before Buss turned L.A. into Showtime for the Lakers.

"The first call I got when we bought the Dodgers was from Dr. Buss. I thought he bought the Dodgers, he was so happy," Johnson said. "It was just a father being proud of a son. He would always ask me, 'What's your next move?'
    "

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...I1HVPaW-0bX-Fg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by championships View Post
    Not sure I would call it "Bailing" on the Lakers for part ownership of the Dodgers. This was a dream of his inspired by Jerry Buss. Jerry Took Magic under his wing and taught him ways of the business. Jerry was the first to call him and tell him just how proud he was.

Magic did flip flop and that made him look bad but I think he speaks from his emotions and at that time, Nash, Howard, Kobe, Pau, did look pretty good on paper. Now in hind sight it's just a mess.
    I think Magic's claim to be the GOAT is only emboldened by his obvious and diligent business success. (Particularly compared with the crater Jordan has made out of the Bobcats.) I have no problem with him owning/running the Dodgers or movie theaters or anything else. But this is not the first time he's been caught talking out of both sides of his face, and over time I've come to see his statements as more about public relations for his own LA-centric brand and reputation than anything else. In short it's cheap opportunism, not constructive criticism.

I'd be perfectly happy if Magic was on board with the Lakers in a meaningful role, or if West was. They're smart guys. But when Magic goes off like this my impression is not that he's doing it out of a love of his former team, it's that he sees an opportunity to exploit. And in this case it seems like complete overkill.

vCash
    I think Magic says things mostly out of possessive pride in a brand he helped build, out of the respect for his mentor (Dr Buss), and as a top executive in the sports world.

He had to say the things he said about the acquisitions of Nash and Howard. A public show of support was necessary for nearly all involved. After that was done, he then reverted back to being a team legend and a fan of the game when he commented on how the operation is being run. After all....the conditions had changed....Dwight was a complete buffoon, didnt want to be Kobe's *****, and took his roadshow elsewhere, Nash cant stay healthy....its hard to be complimentary for someone who professed to hate the Lakers with a passion....especially now that he looks to be purposely hurting the team by insisting he can play at 73 years of age.

Short of the success of the Dodgers, Magic Johnson wants nothing more than the Lakers to be on top again. Anyone who claims otherwise is trying to sell you something. Magic is not uneducated, nor a bandwagon fan...and I would not bet that he doesnt know more about operating a successful sports organization than Jim Buss does.....and certainly Kevin Ding.

Kevin Ding is just some guy who posted on a sportsforum, which then got big. It doesnt make him any smarter or better than he really is.

vCash
    This is not really new information. I think most of the Lakers fan base, if not all agrees Jeanie should be running this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jsthornton7 View Post
    This is not really new information. I think most of the Lakers fan base, if not all agrees Jeanie should be running this team.
    Agree, far from a scoop by magic.

vCash
    Jimbaco is a egotistical maniac so jealous of people like his own father. He hates the guts of people who actually are bright and have real success. He is a cancer for the brand and he has to go to a roll of just stock holder and continue his outstanding carrier as a looser!

vCash

Magic Johnson says Lakers problems lie with Jim Buss

Jim sucks!

"Killer Instinct"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast