Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Magic Johnson: Free Agents Don't Want To Sign With Lakers Due To Dysfunction

Magic Johnson believes the Los Angeles Lakers will continue to have issues in rebuilding their team while Jim Buss takes such an active role in player personnel decisions.

Johnson believes the Lakers need someone like Jerry West to be in control of the front office.

“You’ve got to have someone helping Jim. He’s got to quit trying to prove a point to everybody that he can do it on his own, get his ego out of it, and just say, ‘Let me get someone beside me to help achieve the goals I want.' "

The Lakers have a 14-24 record and have lost 11 of 12 games.

“Look what Pat Riley did in Miami,” said Johnson. “If Pat Riley’s not there, you don’t get LeBron to buy in.”

Johnson said that Mitch Kupchak is doing a good job as general manager of the Lakers.

“Mitch is great,” he said, “but he doesn’t have the power.”

Johnson also added, “Everybody’s telling me free agents don’t want to sign [with the Lakers]…. They’re looking at the Lakers now as a team that’s dysfunctional; who’s their leader, who’s the guy?”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...#axzz2qgAO35lX
    I think this is one of the problems of "tanking". You establish a losing culture and its hard to get rid of it. Of course over very long periods of time, teams like the Clippers, Warriors etc became winning teams but its not the norm imo.

I don't completely agree with Magic necessarily though. Boston is having the same problems with Gerald Wallace complaining all the time and saying how everyone that plays for the Celtics are selifsh and playing like a team...does that mean FAs won't sign with the Celtics either?

I do however think that even big market teams need to show signs of promise for FAs to sign there. In like 14 years of the Clippers being terrible, they got just ONE superstar FA to sign with them...one in 14 years and that's CP3. All that despite the Clippers belonging to LA, one of the biggest, if not the biggest market in the NBA.

And the Lakers don't really operate completely by signing superstar FAs either...in the past 20 or so years, other than Shaq which superstar has signed with the Lakers? Exactly.

Preparing for WAR! 5/3/14 Maidana vs Mayweather
    vCash
    And he's right. Lakers fans be in denial doe.

Let's face it folks, the dark ages have come to the Lakers franchise, they will be bottom feeders for, well for most of the rest of our lives for all we know, the West is deep and it's hard to make your way back up into contention after you hit rock bottom.
    lol, please' top 10 p4p- Mayweather/Ward/Marquez/Pacquiao/Maidana/Rigondeaux/Froch/Cotto/B-Hop/Canelo
    Boxing fan? Come discuss Boxing!

"We are chasing greatness" Mark Jackson 3/7/14

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lolPhillies View Post

Let's face it folks, the dark ages have come to the Lakers franchise, they will be bottom feeders for, well for most of the rest of our lives for all we know, the West is deep and it's hard to make your way back up into contention after you hit rock bottom.
    I hate the Lakers and I hope your right but I don't see it. It would only be fair though if what you said happened...LAL has won tons of rings and has had plenty of success...I think it would only be fair to them experience misery for a while.

vCash
    Magic is right here and many many fans believe Jimbo buss is driving this franchise into the dirt.

Many Laker fans think Phil Jackson should have a Riley like position in the Lakers FO.

vCash
    The Lakers are still far more appealing than most other teams, but I do think their own fans take the "hey, we're LAL, we can sign whoever we want" thing a bit too far, and have for a long time. Watching them name all the stars they expect to sign is always a) hilarious and b) kinda depressing at the same time because most fans of every other team can't even be that imaginative. That dichotomy sucks. At least my team has done it once before...gives me even the tiniest bit of hope down the road.

I'd imagine, and obviously it's just speculation, that a lot of players still dream of playing for LAL, but might just be a little less eager than usual. There's not much that's tangibly there to be excited about. Nothing at all, really.
    [IMG]hi[/IMG]

vCash

maybe if you are like 90 years old

vCash
    [/I]
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan88 View Post
    I don't completely agree with Magic necessarily though. Boston is having the same problems with Gerald Wallace complaining all the time and saying how everyone that plays for the Celtics are selifsh and playing like a team...does that mean FAs won't sign with the Celtics either?
    I don't think any "big name" free agent has signed with the Celtics ever, not likely to happen either.
    Not for the reasons mentioned above, but the fact that Boston is a booring cold city.

Most players seem to prioritise attractive citys i.e NY or LA over team situation.
    I think the lakers are gonna do fine regardless of the current situation when it comes to signing free agents.

vCash

Lakers have been relevant since you were floating in a sack doe.

It's obvious you still fear the lakers, even when we're in tank mode.

I agree with Man Ram, I always think about all the FA's we can get, Love, KD, Westbrook, Lebron, Melo (even tho I don't want him). We do exaggerate at times, but I do feel players would love to play for us, at least more than 75% of other teams.

No way in hell lakers will be bottom feeders for the rest of our lives tho, unless you're expecting death soon lmao.
    #Tank Nation

Playin sorry for Jabari, Riggin for Wiggins, Recede for Embiid, Rest em for Exum

vCash

lol no way

Sure the Lakers are bad now and will miss the playoffs this year and most likely have their worst season in like 25+ years. However this year will be defined as a no Kobe year. They lost Dwight and has Nash even played?????

They will end up getting either Melo or Love in Free Agency (possibly both) and that will attract others to come to LA. We might not see them win another title for a while, but they will be in the playoffs within the next 2 years. 100% guarantee

Note-The Lakers are never getting Lebron
    Last edited by TylerSL; 01-17-2014 at 06:31 PM.

vCash
    Don't really see the Lakers becoming contenders again in the West until Kobe retires. The best thing for now is to continue to tank and slowly rebuild their roster through the draft. Once Kobe leaves LA will regain its appeal again as a place to attract top level Free Agents.

vCash

vCash
    I believe this rebuild will be harder than the fans think, I dont expect playoffs for awhile.

Without stars, I don't think the lakers know how to find bargains

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan88 View Post
    I think this is one of the problems of "tanking". You establish a losing culture and its hard to get rid of it. Of course over very long periods of time, teams like the Clippers, Warriors etc became winning teams but its not the norm imo.

I do however think that even big market teams need to show signs of promise for FAs to sign there. In like 14 years of the Clippers being terrible, they got just ONE superstar FA to sign with them...one in 14 years and that's CP3. All that despite the Clippers belonging to LA, one of the biggest, if not the biggest market in the NBA.

And the Lakers don't really operate completely by signing superstar FAs either...in the past 20 or so years, other than Shaq which superstar has signed with the Lakers? Exactly.

Even though the Lakers haven't historically built contending teams through Free Agency, it's become their only shot. They have zero tradeable assets, two over the hill stars on bloated contracts, and no draft picks. The only thing short of winning the lottery that would turn LA into competitors is a big FA year in either 14 or 15.

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders.
    Fok Jelle Naiers

They`re = contraction of they are
    There = used to describe location
    Their = pronoun used to describe belonging
    Should've = contraction of should have
    Should of = makes no sense at all

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsMachine View Post
    Don't really see the Lakers becoming contenders again in the West until Kobe retires. The best thing for now is to continue to tank and slowly rebuild their roster through the draft. Once Kobe leaves LA will regain its appeal again as a place to attract top level Free Agents.
    I agree - I think it will even take a while after Kobe retires. Maybe some fans on here are delusional, but a lot of fellow Laker fans I know understand this and are of the same mindset.

vCash
    Magic may be right about Jim Buss. However, Jim did trade for Cp3 only to get vetoed by Stern and Howard. If that CP3 trade doesn't get vetoed Howard stays and people think he's a genius right. Howard leaving gave the Lakers brand a black eye, but was that all Jim Buss because I think Howard's relationship or lack of one with Kobe was a bigger factor.

It is still LA they will attract free agents.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast