Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Kevin Greene to step away from coaching

I guess he agrees with some of us here. In all seriousness, I hope he will be happy with his decision and I wish him luck.

Green Bay Packers outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene has made the decision to step away from coaching. The announcement was made Friday by Head Coach Mike McCarthy.

“I am stepping away from the NFL at this time in order to spend more time with my wife, Tara, and our children, Gavin and Gabrielle,” Greene said. “I will miss coaching and will try to return after our kids move on to college if a team will have me.

“My experience here with the Green Bay Packers has been nothing but positive. I am eternally grateful for the opportunity that Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson have blessed me with. I have a peace about the productivity that I helped bring forward in all of the fine young men that have been entrusted to me these past five years. I am most proud of all their accomplishments and the fine young men they've become in this league.”

In Greene’s five seasons with the team (2009-13), the Packers registered 204 sacks, No. 4 in the NFL over that span, with the outside linebackers accounting for 91.5 of those sacks. In ’09, Greene was part of a staff that guided the Green Bay defense to a No. 2 overall ranking in the league, the highest mark since the 1996 team finished as the No. 1 defense.

Under Greene’s direction, LB Clay Matthews earned four straight Pro Bowl selections (2009-12) as he became the first player in franchise history to be named to the all-star game in each of his first four seasons in the league.

“Kevin approached me recently to express his desire to step away from coaching so that he could spend more time with his family,” McCarthy said. “On behalf of the entire organization, I want to thank him for all of his contributions and hard work over the past five seasons with the Packers.

“Kevin provided an incredible amount of energy, passion and knowledge each and every day he was with us. The dedication he showed to maximizing the potential of his players was clearly evident to anyone that worked with him, and he will be missed. I want to wish Kevin, Tara, Gavin and Gabrielle nothing but the best in the years ahead.”

vCash

Kevin Greene walks away

@packers: #Packers OLBs coach Kevin Greene has made the decision to step away from coaching. More here: http://t.co/EU1gNkEpDj

Via twitter.. Hmm interesting..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoPack123 View Post
    @packers: #Packers OLBs coach Kevin Greene has made the decision to step away from coaching. More here: http://t.co/EU1gNkEpDj

Via twitter.. Hmm interesting..
    just heard this. yes, very interesting! let the speculation begin...maybe Capers is passing the blame? Maybe KG isn't that good and is just a fiery, rah-rah guy but cant coach or isn't really into it? Maybe KG is tired of working for Capers? maybe KG had to many hits to the head over the years and is actually stepping aside due to his health?

hmm, yes, lots of interesting thoughts.

vCash
    1. I hope family is the real reason.
    2. Wade Phillips for OLB coach.
    Kyle Cousineau ‏@KCousineau09 7 Min.
    Wade Phillips 1st NFL job was LB coach for the 1976 Houston Oilers? Who was one of those LBs he coached? Ted Thompson.

Aaron Nagler ‏@Aaron_Nagler 6 Min.
    @KCousineau09 And Ted interviewed him for the head coaching job prior to hiring McCarthy...
    lol

vCash
    I'm actually ok with this.

From a talent prospective, he has been given a lot. 2 1st round picks and a 2nd round picks. It is also a position we have seen really some of the worst production from.

Also, we have signed a few UFDAs and young guys at the position and they don't seem to be developing after their first year.
    Last edited by ugottabjoshinme; 01-17-2014 at 03:31 PM.

vCash
    Sounds like corporate speak for being fired. He's probably the fall guy for the bad defensive showing we had this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    I'm actually pretty happy with this move.

From a talent prospective, he has been given a lot. 2 1st round picks and a 2nd round picks. It is also a position we have seen really some of the worst production from.

Also, we have signed a few UFDAs and young guys at the position and they don't seem to be developing after their first year.
    please tell me you're joking... because if you're not, tongue splitter might come after you too... because what you're saying is dumb...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mitten View Post
    please tell me you're joking... because if you're not, tongue splitter might come after you too... because what you're saying is dumb...
    It's not tho.

Clay has been good, but he was already an elite talent. Elite talent can help elite talent with motivation and minor tweeks and that it different than really teaching the position. A lot of other guys have not improved or have regressed.

Even two guys who failed at OLB (Jones and Lattimore) have played very well at ILB. Both Jones and Lattimore showed promise as rookies and got worse after that. Now they have been developed into decent inside linebackers.

vCash
    Clay Matthews barely played until his senior year... he came in extremely raw and developed... this was Neal's first year as an OLB, coming from a 5tech the years prior, and an interior DL his entire career in college, and is right there with guys like Brooks Reed, Mingo, Sheard, Kruger, Barwin, Mercilus, & Jarret Johnson... Nick Perry played 5 games on a broken foot and still registered 2 sacks... Jones and Lattimore played "well" at ILB because they are better fits in a 3-4 @ ILB... that promise that Lattimore showed as a rookie OLB, 4 tackles, and was moved to ILB that offseason... The promising Brad Jones @ OLB, 5 sacks in 3 years, moved to ILB...

count up the total sacks the mighty 49ers OLB's had this regular season, and then count how many sacks the Packers OLB's had... just for a frame of reference

vCash
    Hopefully that won't be the only defensive coach to go.

vCash
    Who will replace him? Are there any good guys floating around from all the coaching fall-out this year around the league or do they go after some other person? Promote from within? What will Ted have Mike do?

vCash
    Oh but he was so good at yelling!!!

Wade Phillips time baby

Funny how we were talking about him maybe being a weak link not long ago. This could purely be personal but I'm hardly upset about it.
    Last edited by Norm; 01-17-2014 at 09:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Gabbert is clearly the best QB package in this draft in my opinion.
    All in all, if the Panthers are going to select a QB, Gabbert has to be the pick.
    People take this guy seriously?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Oh but he was so good at yelling!!!

Wade Phillips time baby

Funny how we were talking about him maybe being a weak link not long ago. This could purely be personal but I'm hardly upset about it.
    Not long ago I also read multiple people saying he should be the new DC if we hired from within.

vCash
    I am not upset about it, but I did like his intensity, in response to the talent level, the "others" talent level they have brought into to compliment Clay is 1/2 of what Clay has, it's not even close, Perry maybe has 3/4 of Clays talent but that's it, as for Brad Jones he's stiff, slow,and no lateral movement and that's why the middle has been better for him, he was on the verge of getting cut before Bishop went down, dudes not fluid at all... as for Lattimore he just fits the middle better too, on the other hand he has good lateral movement and speed but is better down hill, seems to lack the burst and power to get to the QB at OLB, which is why the middle is a better fit for him, so I wouldn't say Greene had a ton to work with, not to mention none of our guys can stay healthy.

vCash
    Regardless of whether the personal reasons stuff is true or not, I think this is good. Its time to get some new blood into this coaching staff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast