Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

State Of The Titans Address

With the firing of Mike Munchak and recent hiring of Ken Whisenhunt, one thing is for certain in Nashville and that is change. It would appear the entire Munchak coaching staff will likely be looking for work this offseason while Coach Whiz brings in "his guys". Certainly Defensive Coordinator candidate Ray Horton fits that bill despite the obvious difference in defensive scheme. As the hours and days pass and the search for a new DC continues, many Titans fans find themselves questioning if this team has the personal to move to a 3-4 and just how much we may struggle. It would take a foolish fan to predict a flawless transition to a completely different scheme over the course of one offseason but I also believe too many are over exaggerating the struggle and overrating our defensive unit. As far as our defensive front, I think we have a surplus of serviceable players who could provide us with the big bodied strong defensive line. Mike Martin, Antonio Johnson, Jurrell Casey, Sammie Lee Hill , and Karl Klugg could all rotate in as part of a strong defensive front. The biggest issue for the transition is clearly linebacker. Currently on this team, I see one player who could step in and potentially thrive from opening week, Akeem Ayers. However, we are widely viewed around the league as have one of the more athletic line backing corps so the transition may not be quite as difficult as long as we mix and match currently. I believe we could select a player to play that rush backer position in the first round, someone like Mack, Ealy, Barr or Beasley. With that addition we could start Wimbley and Ayers while allowing the rookie and Zaviar Gooden to back up and shuffle in to keep them fresh. Inside could be trickier with a starting tandem of Zach Brown and McCarthy.

In the end our base defense would look as follows:

Right End: Derrick Morgan backed by Antonio Johnson

Nose Tackle: Sammie Lee Hill backed by Mike Martin

Left End: Jurrell Casey backed by Karl Klugg

Inside backers: Zach Brown and Colin McCarthy backed by Moises Fokuo and Zavier Gooden

Outside backers: Kameron Wimbley and Akeem Ayers backed by 1st round pick and Free agent addition.

vCash
    Just my opinion..

Derrick Morgan is a FA, hope he's back
    I think Lee Hill would be a bad NT, Martin too small to play NT
    Casey would struggle at End due to lack of sleep and length (helps to battle OT)
    Brown would struggle at ILB, Mccarthy and his inj problems concern me..
    Kam Wimbley won't be on the team due to huge salary

I see too many struggles in a 3-4 with most of this personnel. Hope I'm wrong.

vCash
    Yea I see morgan on one end , casey in the middle and pitoitua on the other end...he was actually pretty serviceable
    "Teamwork makes the Dream work"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnocOnYoBloc View Post
    Just my opinion..

Derrick Morgan is a FA, hope he's back
    I think Lee Hill would be a bad NT, Martin too small to play NT
    Casey would struggle at End due to lack of sleep and length (helps to battle OT)
    Brown would struggle at ILB, Mccarthy and his inj problems concern me..
    Kam Wimbley won't be on the team due to huge salary

I see too many struggles in a 3-4 with most of this personnel. Hope I'm wrong.
    Derrick Morgan is a free agent after this season but has been our best edge rusher so we must find ways to allow him to pin his ears back and asking him to switch positions in a contract year simply will not work. As I have stated I do not believe hill is a stud NT but he is certainly the best available option for us right now. Hills size alone could eat up blocks and people underrate his pass rush ability, not many 3-4 teams can make that claim. Prior to the offseason I would've agreed with you about Wimbley but he is best in a 3-4 and has experience in such a system. I doubt Whiz enters his first year with no rush backers except Ayers. Brown is the most athletic linebacker we have and could provide us a poor land Lawrence Timmons. As for Casey or Hill, too many are basing 3-4 front on girth and size but look around the league at other NT, it isn't a requirement to be 330lbs or more to be a good NT.

vCash
    Wimbley makes too much $$ for his poor production. We aren't in a great cap situation, but that is easily fixable by releasing Wimbley, CJ, Stewart and possibly Stevens.

I am convinced #11 pick will be 1 of these 5:

Teddy Bridgewater
    Johnny Manziel
    Blake Bortles
    Anthony Barr
    Khalil Mack

vCash
    Wimbley makes too much $$ for his poor production. We aren't in a great cap situation, but that is easily fixable by releasing Wimbley, CJ, Stewart and possibly Stevens.

I am convinced #11 pick will be 1 of these 5:

Teddy Bridgewater
    Johnny Manziel
    Blake Bortles
    Anthony Barr
    Khalil Mack

I would be highly shocked if any of those players are still on the board at 11. Personally I think too many people are stacking the odds against Jake Locker and wanting to draft a quarterback solely on that fact. The fact of the matter is Jake Locker gives us a better chance to compete for a playoff spot than a rookie would. I think it's in the best interest of this franchise to select a player who fills a need but also provides us value. Locker hasn't sold me on being a franchise quarterback but neither have any of the quarterbacks in this draft. Let's provide Locker with a final year under a good offensive mind and see what he can do. Let's not forget Locker has changed OCs more than any other Qb since he was drafted. Too many other nfl qbs would struggle as well. So let's draft a Clinton-Dix, Lewan, Mosely and gain a good young starter while not taking a step back. If Locker isn't able to stay healthy or can't produce like he should, let's address it next draft. Simply put, be patient and don't force things because few championship caliber teams do.

vCash
    Also, with the transition to the 3-4 what about taking a look at a 3-4 body like BJ Raji?

vCash
    I'm more than willing to give Jake another shot. I keep saying reaching for a QB at #11 would be a bigger mistake than giving Jake one more chance. But I do think if 1 of those top 3 Qbs falls to 11, we have to seriously think about it.

Sounds like Horton is going to 3-4. At the very least, Ayers & Brown should fit nicely. Some think Casey will fit as NT.

vCash
    I'm more than willing to give Jake another shot. I keep saying reaching for a QB at #11 would be a bigger mistake than giving Jake one more chance. But I do think if 1 of those top 3 Qbs falls to 11, we have to seriously think about it.

Sounds like Horton is going to 3-4. At the very least, Ayers & Brown should fit nicely. Some think Casey will fit as NT.
    I just don't get Casey in the middle, he doesn't possess the size or strength necessary. We have a better fit of Hill in the middle and Casey outside.

vCash
    Myself & Andreii are participating in the NFL Mock on PSD we ended up taking Ealy at 11 what would you guys think if this happened draft day?

Philadelphia 76ers 2000-2001 Sim League Champion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WVA_Titan View Post
    I just don't get Casey in the middle, he doesn't possess the size or strength necessary. We have a better fit of Hill in the middle and Casey outside.
    I agree. But what Casey does lack in the size & strength blueprint for a 3-4 NT, he makes up for by being "Really freaking good" lol.

vCash
    I agree. But what Casey does lack in the size & strength blueprint for a 3-4 NT, he makes up for by being "Really freaking good" lol.
    No knowledgable football fan could discredit Casey for talent or production, I can't see placing him at NT as the best place for him to succeed. Casey is very undersized for that position, perhaps even for 3-4 end but certainly will succeed more from the end position. As the blue print for a 3-4 defense would indicate, a NT needs to be large and powerful with the ability to "eat up blocks" and be an above average run stopper, I can't place Casey under either. Casey will likely struggle regardless but I believe forcing him into the middle could completely detail the success he has found. It would be foolish to force any player into a position your not confident he can succeed in, especially when you have recently given a player legitimate money who may fit the need more. Ultimately we could draft Louis Nix and have a legitimate NT and still bounce Casey to the end. Just my thoughts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by killthesux View Post
    Myself & Andreii are participating in the NFL Mock on PSD we ended up taking Ealy at 11 what would you guys think if this happened draft day?
    I would be happy with the pick. I have read more than one scout compare him to Aldon Smith at the same point and we all know how Aldon turned out. It would certainly be a reach as far as value according to most experts but he is a talented but raw kid who could develop into a JPP/Aldon Smith Caliber pass rusher and obviously fits our new defensive scheme. Regardless the first round pick, we need to add 3-4 players this offseason, starting with rush backers.

vCash
    So has the coaching staff agreed that 3-4 is what they are doing? All this 3-4 talk but I havent heard if thats what there doing for sure.
    Psalms 118:6 - The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McFlurry View Post
    So has the coaching staff agreed that 3-4 is what they are doing? All this 3-4 talk but I havent heard if thats what there doing for sure.
    Ray Horton has been hired as DC so yes we will move to a 3-4 this upcoming season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast