Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Mets Arbitration Eligibles - 7 Players File for Arbitration

The Mets avoided arbitration with Ruben Tejada, signing the shortstop to a one-year deal.

The deal is for $1.1 million (Castillo). Tejada was projected to make $1 million this season (MLBTR).
    http://metsblog.com/metsblog/mets-av...-ruben-tejada/

vCash
    Ike Davis, Lucas Duda, Dillon Gee, Daniel Murphy Bobby Parnell, Ruben Tejada and Eric Young, Jr. all filed for salary arbitration on Tuesday.

The Mets have until Friday to present them with numbers on a new contract. In the event the team and player do not agree on a 2014 salary, the dispute is handled by an arbitrator, who will choose between the two sides. The player and team can still negotiate a deal after agreeing to go to arbitration.
    Code:
    Player	        Service 2013 Salary     Projected 2014 Salary
    Daniel Murphy	4.1	$2.9 million	$5.8 million
    Ike Davis	3.1	$3.1 million	$3.5 million
    Dillon Gee	3.0	$527,000	$3.4 million
    Bobby Parnell	4.1	$1.7 million	$3.2 million
    Eric Young Jr.	3.1	$490,000	$1.9 million
    Lucas Duda	2.1	$520,000	$1.8 million
    Ruben Tejada	2.1	$514,000	$1.0 million
    http://metsblog.com/metsblog/2014-sa...e-this-friday/

vCash
    Hopefully avoiding arbitration with Tejada is about showing Boras that he's our "opening day starter" and not because Sandy actually plans on having him be the opening day starter...

I must say though, Sandy really treats Boras like a little ***** and I love it. Boras is clearly trying to get the Mets to offer 2 years in the hope he can tell a 3rd team that if they offer 3 years, Drew is theirs. I'm sure this is what prompted Sandy to go down to 1 year again. Love it. Just wish the negotiations happened faster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post
    Hopefully avoiding arbitration with Tejada is about showing Boras that he's our "opening day starter" and not because Sandy actually plans on having him be the opening day starter...

I must say though, Sandy really treats Boras like a little ***** and I love it. Boras is clearly trying to get the Mets to offer 2 years in the hope he can tell a 3rd team that if they offer 3 years, Drew is theirs. I'm sure this is what prompted Sandy to go down to 1 year again. Love it. Just wish the negotiations happened faster.
    Yep. Only acquiring a needed piece if a player falls through the cracks and can be lowballed into taking a deal he doesn't want. The cheapskate Wilpons save even more money and the image of the team as MLB's garbage dump gets fortified some more.

Love it...

They ought to sign Murphy to a discounted extension. I can easily see him being a 2 WAR player each of the next 4 years. That's worth $40 million. I think he could outperform that. I think they could get him to sign for 4 years at $28 million or so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    Yep. Only acquiring a needed piece if a player falls through the cracks and can be lowballed into taking a deal he doesn't want. The cheapskate Wilpons save even more money and the image of the team as MLB's garbage dump gets fortified some more.

Love it...
    Yeah pretty sad.

They ought to sign Murphy to a discounted extension. I can easily see him being a 2 WAR player each of the next 4 years. That's worth $40 million. I think he could outperform that. I think they could get him to sign for 4 years at $28 million or so.
    I would just keep Murphy throughout 2014 and maybe 2015. Let Herrera take over in 2016 if he's ready.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I would just keep Murphy throughout 2014 and maybe 2015. Let Herrera take over in 2016 if he's ready.
    Agree here. Murphy is going to be 31 entering the first year of a new contract signed in free agency and he's already had major issues in both knees. No thanks.

vCash

Love it...

Haven't seen you in a while. It isn't a true Mets discussion without your 2 cents. Happy 2014.

vCash
    And no on Murphy to any extension. Roll him through the arbitration years, get the best years out of him and move on. If he's the best option, keep him, but Murphy won't give you much more than he already has. Ideally Flores steps up and proves he can play 2B after this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post
    And no on Murphy to any extension. Roll him through the arbitration years, get the best years out of him and move on. If he's the best option, keep him, but Murphy won't give you much more than he already has. Ideally Flores steps up and proves he can play 2B after this year.
    Yep this. Murphy's offense is solid but baserunning inflated his offensive WAR last year and extending him means you'll have to deal with his declining defense as well. I like Murphy but either groom Flores to play the position or move on and find another 2nd baseman.

That said, we have to see how Herrera progresses. He could be ready by the time Murphy is a FA.

vCash

Love it...

Drew would be the 5th player on a new deal making 9m+ so you can throw out the "only".

Did you want to give him 4/50 at the start?

and we should not pick up anybody that slips through the cracks? is there something wrong with this too?
    Last edited by Sandman; 01-16-2014 at 05:24 PM.

11. 01-16-2014, 05:46 PM
    Reason
    Baiting, another post like this one and an infraction will be handed out.

vCash
    As of now, it looks like that's all we're going to do though.

vCash

Ike settles for $3.5M -- gets $375k raise

Ike Davis has avoided arbitration by settling with the Mets for $3.5 million.

Davis earned $3.125 million last season, in his first year of arbitration eligibility, as a Super Two.

The $375,000 raise comes despite Davis hitting .205 with nine homers and 33 RBIs in 103 games last season. Davis also had a detour to Triple-A Las Vegas.
    Before anyone freaks out, MLB service time = mo money. That's the way it works in arbitration.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...ets-375k-raise

vCash
    That's good. I was expecting more.

vCash

Mets Arbitration Eligibles - 7 Players File for Arbitration

@AdamRubinESPN: Pace Law nailed the Bobby Parnell analysis. They projected salary at $3.725M. He gets $3.7 with chance to earn $50k more.

He is making too much money, traid!

vCash

Love it...
    In contract negotiations, it's called getting the most you can possibly get for the lowest price possible. The Red Sox are playing the same game right now. Only the Mets and Sox have interest in Drew, and both have said they're not going to cave into Boras's demands.

Why is this a bad thing? If the Mets get Drew, why do you care whether or not he gets all the money he wants? Why should the Wilpons just throw their money around if they don't have to?
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast