Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    30,280
    vCash
    1500

    PFT: NFL wants to sell Thursday games, but show them too

    NFL wants to sell Thursday games, but show them too

    Posted by Darin Gantt on January 15, 2014, 4:22 PM EST



    The NFL is willing to sell off part of the NFL Network’s Thursday night package, but they still want to show the games.

    According to John Ourand of Sports Business Daily, the NFL is requiring the winning bidder on the package to allow a simulcast of the games on the NFL Network. The inclusion of that clause came as a surprise to several industry sources.

    While that demand would cut into any rights fee the league would get from the deal, it would also expand the audience by having the games on a pair of networks at once.

    The proposal was sent to all of the league’s network partners along with Turner Sports.

    Another element of the league’s proposal that is raising eyebrows is a willingness to accept bids on multiple amounts of games in Weeks Two through 16, except for the opener and the Thanksgiving night game. That would allow another network to bid for any number of games, in a time span covering more of the calendar than the original idea that it would be an early season-only package.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...show-them-too/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    21,175
    vCash
    1500
    Thursday games suck. Cutting preparation time in half has an effect on the quality of the on field product. Who would have thunk it?


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

    Trill Team

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lancaster, Pa
    Posts
    10,474
    vCash
    3425
    I would bet Fox Sports 1 bids an embarrassingly low number and still gets it. $50 mil tops.

    Terrible package. Terrible idea. This is step one in admitting it.
    Warning, my sig is NSFW. But hot damn is it hot:

    Click here to see how awesome.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    5,874
    vCash
    1500
    I like Thursday games. I don't care where they are broadcast from.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lancaster, Pa
    Posts
    10,474
    vCash
    3425
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    I like Thursday games. I don't care where they are broadcast from.
    Thursday night games are like Decaf coffee.

    Sure it says coffee, but it's no where near the same.
    Warning, my sig is NSFW. But hot damn is it hot:

    Click here to see how awesome.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    27,256
    vCash
    500
    The games are visibly worse from a performance standpoint, but having a game in the middle of the week is awesome in my opinion.

    Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Colin Kaepernick walk into a bar... To watch Russell Wilson win the Super Bowl.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    5,874
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Thursday night games are like Decaf coffee.

    Sure it says coffee, but it's no where near the same.
    I don't care. I like to relax on Thursday nights and watch a football game.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ja-Blam
    Posts
    7,098
    vCash
    1500
    If the NFL were smart what they would do is ensure the only teams that play on Thursday (with the exception of perhaps the first thursday game of the year) are coming off their bye week. That way there is 11 days before the game and 10 days after. There would be no way that teams could complain about the unfair advantage nor could they complain about increased potential for injury.

    The way the league schedule is setup there are always at least 2 teams that are on bye at a time, so it wouldn't be impossible to accomodate from a scheduling standpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lancaster, Pa
    Posts
    10,474
    vCash
    3425
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    If the NFL were smart what they would do is ensure the only teams that play on Thursday (with the exception of perhaps the first thursday game of the year) are coming off their bye week. That way there is 11 days before the game and 10 days after. There would be no way that teams could complain about the unfair advantage nor could they complain about increased potential for injury.

    The way the league schedule is setup there are always at least 2 teams that are on bye at a time, so it wouldn't be impossible to accomodate from a scheduling standpoint.
    If only two teams a week had a bye that would work. But it can be anywhere from 2 to 6 teams on a bye.

    Personally they should do away with it. It's an inferior product. Players don't like it. Coaches don't like it. Many fans don't like it.
    Warning, my sig is NSFW. But hot damn is it hot:

    Click here to see how awesome.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    30,280
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Thursday games suck. Cutting preparation time in half has an effect on the quality of the on field product. Who would have thunk it?
    Couldn't agree more. Hate Thu night games.

    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    I don't care. I like to relax on Thursday nights and watch a football game.
    And you're the reason they exist.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,163
    vCash
    1500
    I completely disagree with the argument that TNF is sloppier/less prepared. I don't remember a single upset (or game that went differently than one would have expected) on TNF this year.

    That said, I do hate the fact that's another 3 days to add to the week leading up to the team's next game. It's practically a bye week. I'd much rather them change it to Saturday night. Or even Friday. **** high school players and college players. Hell, I'd even be okay with adding a second Monday game, or even a Tuesday game (hell, nothing exciting ever happens on Tuesday, why not Tuesday? You can still keep "TNF").


    CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lancaster, Pa
    Posts
    10,474
    vCash
    3425
    I like the double MNF idea. Start the first game at 6 or 7 and then have a WC game that starts at 10EST and like 8 PST. I think it then gives the left coast a chance at some recognition.
    Warning, my sig is NSFW. But hot damn is it hot:

    Click here to see how awesome.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    5,352
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I completely disagree with the argument that TNF is sloppier/less prepared. I don't remember a single upset (or game that went differently than one would have expected) on TNF this year.

    That said, I do hate the fact that's another 3 days to add to the week leading up to the team's next game. It's practically a bye week. I'd much rather them change it to Saturday night. Or even Friday. **** high school players and college players. Hell, I'd even be okay with adding a second Monday game, or even a Tuesday game (hell, nothing exciting ever happens on Tuesday, why not Tuesday? You can still keep "TNF").
    I can remember at least one. The Chargers 10 pt. underdogs went into Denver on a Thurs night and beat the Broncos 27-20

    Ys, I personally loved that TNF game!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    5,352
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    If the NFL were smart what they would do is ensure the only teams that play on Thursday (with the exception of perhaps the first thursday game of the year) are coming off their bye week. That way there is 11 days before the game and 10 days after. There would be no way that teams could complain about the unfair advantage nor could they complain about increased potential for injury.

    The way the league schedule is setup there are always at least 2 teams that are on bye at a time, so it wouldn't be impossible to accomodate from a scheduling standpoint.
    Many have said this for years now but I think that while they could plan/ schedule it. They're whole intent is to schedule what they deem good matchups in advance = some good and some crap games.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    5,352
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I like the double MNF idea. Start the first game at 6 or 7 and then have a WC game that starts at 10EST and like 8 PST. I think it then gives the left coast a chance at some recognition.
    Agreed, I'd even enjoy a Tues night game to make the weekend seem to come quicker.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •