Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Giants Will Not Retain TE Coach Mike Pope or RB Coach Jerald Ingram

Giants make changes on offensive staff

Michael Eisen
    Senior Writer/Editor

The Giants announced the departures of Tight Ends Coach Michael Pope and Running Backs Coach Jerald Ingram

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – One day after adding Ben McAdoo as their new offensive coordinator, the Giants continued restructuring their coaching staff with the departures of longtime assistants Michael Pope and Jerald Ingram.

Pope has been the Giants’ tight ends coach since 2000, while Ingram has mentored the running backs since Tom Coughlin’s arrival in 2004.

“Both of these men are very good talent evaluators and, in their own way, are very good teachers,” Coughlin said. “I decided to make a change in our staff that I believe will be productive going forward. These are very difficult decisions, but I felt they were in the best interests of the Giants moving forward.”

Pope recently completed his 31st consecutive season as an NFL assistant coach and his 14th season in his second tour of duty with the Giants. In his two stints with the Giants (1983-91 and 2000-13), Pope coached for 23 years, longer than any assistant in franchise history. He is the only coach to participate in each of the Giants’ five Super Bowls and the only Giants coach to have his name inscribed on the team’s four Lombardi trophies. He also coached in the Super Bowl with the New England Patriots in 1996.

The list of standout tight ends who learned their craft under Pope includes Mark Bavaro, Jeremy Shockey, Kevin Boss, Jake Ballard and Martellus Bennett.

“Mike and I coached together on the Giants staff back in the 1980s,” Coughlin said. “When I returned as the head coach, I didn’t intend to keep anyone from the previous staff. I visited with Mike and made a decision that I wanted him as a part of our new staff going forward, and it was certainly the right decision.

“He has coached many, many outstanding players in the years that we’ve been here, guys that have made great contributions to our success. Mike has four Super Bowl rings from all four championships the New York Giants have won in the modern era.”

Ingram has worked with Coughlin for more than 20 years, first at Boston College (1991-93), then with the Jacksonville Jaguars (1994-2002) and the Giants (2004-13). Ingram helped develop recent standout backs Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw and Andre Brown.

“He’s an outstanding football coach,” Coughlin said. “He has done a very good job here. I think the record speaks for itself in terms of the guys that have played for him and are very loyal to him. He’s a man of principle and has been a very loyal assistant for a lot of years.

“Jerald demonstrated again last season what a good teacher he is when we had injures at the running back position and we signed Peyton Hillis. In one week’s time, Peyton started in the third-down nickel package, which, in our system, is a complex job.”
    http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...a-87a5c37665fa

vCash

vCash
    Hate to read too much into this, but I wonder if this means they'd target Finley in FA or a similar TE and also wonder if Ingram leaving means we look for a back other than Andre Brown.

Seems like they're overhauling the whole system. I expected them to get a "coughlin guy" to run things in a similar way, but if there are these staff changes and McAdoo has this much control, it could effect the types of players we target in FA and draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Hate to read too much into this, but I wonder if this means they'd target Finley in FA or a similar TE and also wonder if Ingram leaving means we look for a back other than Andre Brown.

Seems like they're overhauling the whole system. I expected them to get a "coughlin guy" to run things in a similar way, but if there are these staff changes and McAdoo has this much control, it could effect the types of players we target in FA and draft.
    I'm sure Mcadoo has say, but I imagine the final decision is Coughlins on the staff changes.

vCash
    Yea but I actually think Coughlin is open to letting McAdoo bring in guys with his approval.

Anyway, thanks to probably the best TE coach of the past 30 years. Was a good run. Really hope he retires, couldn't see him elsewhere. The mans been a member of all four of our SB winning teams.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    He fires Pope but not Quinn, I'm I the only one that sees something wrong with this?

vCash

Finely like Wilson might not ever play again. Dude suffered a serious neck injury!

vCash
    Absolutely NO to Finley, even if he was healthy. Draft a TE and groom him under this system. Finley is talented but drops everything. I want ball security in a vertical redzone TE.

Also we can retain our players, but the key is going to be getting them to come back on cheap first year salaries.

We should try and keep Nicks, ideally on a Victor Cruz contract where the first year base salary is low. That gives us time to shed Baas, and Rolle by the time Nicks gets paid. Ideally by then we can extend Eli for 2-3 more years, but reduce his cap hit for 2015/16 to make room for Nicks/JPP pay raises.

If there's anyone we should target if Nicks bolts, James Jones is the guy, not Finley.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants #1 Fan View Post
    He fires Pope but not Quinn, I'm I the only one that sees something wrong with this?
    Unrelated really. Coughlin is standing by his STs coach for some insane reason. When the OC changes, the offensive positional coaches are likely to change to fit his system. Coughlin has final say, but I think McAdoo has the real control of those coaches.

vCash
    ****ing ********, Mike Pope gets fired, because Myers is the first TE that didn't turn turn out to be successful for the Giants? ********. I Don't like this at all. I'm not that upset with losing Ingram (I was actually hoping Jacobs could get this position, but even Ingram did a hell of a job getting all those FA RBs to adjust to the Giants system quickly) But they're just going to fire one of THE best TE coaches in the game? Un****ingbelievable.

I'm truly pissed, and yet a **** like Quinn still has a ****ing job. I like McAdoo, but I don't like him that much that the Giants start to fire coaches that WERE actually productive. I'm not feeling optimistic about this at all, and I know somewhere out there alone, our poor Coughlin's heart is achin over this.

But lemme say this: If I'm wrong about feeling pessimistic, and all these firings prove to be the right things, and the Giants turn it around and become an elite team once again, then I'm going to give Old Man Tom some MAJOR major credit for going through this much of changes in the Giants coaching staff.
    BORN AND RAISED TO KILL COWBOYS
    13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

Gimme MORE of that BAZE D'andummy!

NY Giants Fan, LA Lakers Fan, LA Dodgers Fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    ****ing ********, Mike Pope gets fired, because Myers is the first TE that didn't turn turn out to be successful for the Giants? ********. I Don't like this at all. I'm not that upset with losing Ingram (I was actually hoping Jacobs could get this position, but even Ingram did a hell of a job getting all those FA RBs to adjust to the Giants system quickly) But they're just going to fire one of THE best TE coaches in the game? Un****ingbelievable.

I'm truly pissed, and yet a **** like Quinn still has a ****ing job. I like McAdoo, but I don't like him that much that the Giants start to fire coaches that WERE actually productive. I'm not feeling optimistic about this at all, and I know somewhere out there alone, our poor Coughlin's heart is achin over this.

But lemme say this: If I'm wrong about feeling pessimistic, and all these firings prove to be the right things, and the Giants turn it around and become an elite team once again, then I'm going to give Old Man Tom some MAJOR major credit for going through this much of changes in the Giants coaching staff.
    This is what happens when you bring in a new OC and totally new offense, he will have the chance to bring in his own staff to what fits his offense the best. Has NOTHING to do with Myers, this offense will call for a big time pass catching TE and as much as I respect Pope that is not his type of TE and teaching..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY007 View Post
    This is what happens when you bring in a new OC and totally new offense, he will have the chance to bring in his own staff to what fits his offense the best. Has NOTHING to do with Myers, this offense will call for a big time pass catching TE and as much as I respect Pope that is not his type of TE and teaching..
    This. I love Pope, but clearly we are going to value athleticism at the TE position and move with the rest of the league. With Pope, before you could catch you had to be able to block and understand the play action. I'm sure parts of Gillbride's offense will still be featured, but clearly we are going to have a much faster paced offense with quick passes, more no huddles, and a vertical TE that needs to be able to cause problems in the secondary to open up the quick passes for the WR on under routes that let them get YAC.

vCash
    I can't believe they kept Quinn and not Pope. I understand 1 is an offensive coach in a changing offensive system and the other is responsible for special teams, but how can anyone argue that Quinn did anything remotely worthy of keeping his job? He must have nudies of someone somewhere
    “It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.”

There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!

Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"

New York Giants-2012 World Champions

SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

vCash
    Quinn should have lost his job 4 years ago. I really don't get what's going on with that. Must be real close with Coughlin.

vCash
    Quinn should have lost his job 4 years ago. I really don't get what's going on with that. Must be real close with Coughlin.
    Well here's the thing I've been very hard on Coughlin with the loyalty crap but let's be honest, he made some very hard decisions with Gilbride, Pope and Ingram so we gotta give him the benefit of the doubt on that..

I will say this though, Banks is always killing the special teams and points directly at the personal saying they're just not football players in this league.. Well then if that's the case that's more on JR then Quinn..

I don't like Quinn at all I'm just trying to rationalize what I don't understand..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast